dcsimg

track saw question

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dan 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

i just got my dewalt track saw with the 52″ and the 102″ track while checking things out i noticed the theres a slight crown to bought tracks that are consistent is that normal?

My Festool tracks and dead on . I know some guys have sent them back until they got a straight one from the lot .

Always willing to learn .

Are they straight?…that is what is most important. Will thwy lay flat when you put them on a sheet of ply?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

yes they are straigh and yes they will lay down with slight presser on the saw i have not cut any thing yet tho

Are you storing your tracks against the wall? If you are try hanging them instead of laying them against a wall. I have Bosch/Mafell tracks I found my 1.1m rail has a small amount of bow to it as well and I’ve flipped the side that rests against the wall to see if it’ll bend the other way.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

thats how thay were out of the package

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Are they straight?…that is what is most important. Will thwy lay flat when you put them on a sheet of ply?

I don’t think a bow will matter. Once clamped down it should lay flat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah there are the track saw clamps that you can use and it’ll straighten right out.

Doobie
    Pro

I almost never use the clamps to hold the tracks down. It is so rarely necessary.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a few Makita tracks and they are straight. Did you put a good level of the edge of them?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

depending on what I am cutting I use clamps it I want to be more precise. If I am just roughing something I do not. they have their purpose.

I would say as long as the guide edge is straight a crown should not be an issue. I have never noticed any distortion of my Makita tracks however.

Festool clamps will fit Makita tracks and vice versa, I am not sure about Dewalt tracks however.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t think a bow will matter. Once clamped down it should lay flat.

90% of the cuts I make don’t require clamps. The crown will likely lay down when the saw crosses over that area.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

My thoughts are in line with Kurt. I use the Dewalt clamps on my Festool track. Plenty of plywood is cupped a little anyway so better to clamp them.

I dont on decks and not always on doors but thats a bad habit. Sometimes the extra time taken for the clamp is well worth the piece of mind.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

You gotta figure that a 9′ piece of aluminum will be prone to flex a bit from time to time. As long as you don’t get a twist in it, your fine.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I almost never use the clamps to hold the tracks down. It is so rarely necessary.

yah but sometimes i want it to be precise like the edge of my workbench top so i made sure everything lined up and i didn’t move it around.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I have only clamped the track one time. That was when I was making a cut in some siding that was already installed. In that case, gravity mandated that it be clamped.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

I have several Festool tracks, I haven’t noticed a bend or bow in any of the. I rarely need to clamp mine either.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.725 seconds