dcsimg

Track saw accessories

This topic contains 614 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  montreal_woodworks 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 615 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

I am curious as to what you consider to be essential track saw accessories. There is a whole host of them and I am wondering what you consider must haves vs. luxuries.

In particular, I ran across the parallel guide set and am intrigued yet again by how it seems to really come that much closer to functionally replacing a table saw (at least, enabling track saws to make far more narrow of cuts and repeatable cuts with greater speed)… any thoughts here either?

John S

woodman_412

I think a second track and the joining kit is an essential accessory if you’re planning on cutting anything of a greater length. I really like having that option of making a 110″ track out of my two 55″ tracks and not having one big track to try and store and transport. The clamps for the track are also essential for certain jobs where you can’t afford any possibility of movement of the track. I don’t use them that often but there are times when they are important to have. The other accessory that I have is a 12 tooth rip blade which is great at ripping solid lumber and opens up new applications for the saw.

I still think the table saw is hard to beat for speed of making narrow cuts. I don’t think I would ever try and replace the table saw with a track saw for that. Also for cross cutting smaller to medium sized pieces I think the cross cut sled on the table saw is still hard to beat for speed.

Dan

danpattison.com

Hi John,

The Parallel Guides are great and really do an excellent job with repeatable cuts. A longer rail is also great and of course other blades for different materials (ripping, etc..).

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

Other then the extra track if needed and possibly clamps (though rarely are they needed), I don’t think there are any essential accessories. It really probably depends on how you are using it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

contrctr
    Pro
    roanoke, VA

Hoping to pick up the Parallel guides set soon. Also maybe to build a nice cut table to use to cut on. Something like the Paulk bench.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I only use the tracks. I got the 118″, 42″, and a 55″. That and another blade or two.

Clamps are nice to have for slick surfaces or items you only have one shot at. A couple of different blades for various materials. Long track and a short track for sure. It’s a time savings to be able to cut ply lengthwise and width wise without having to stop, join tracks, cut, un-join tracks. I am looking to add a 3rd smaller track like a 42″ or maybe smaller yet. It’s nice for cutting skirt boards and large shelving. I personally haven’t felt the need for parallel guides.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

More tracks in different lengths are good. I use the 118, 75, 55, 42 and the smaller 32 inch track. Parallel guides, clamps and Parf Dogs are also helpful. Extra blades for different materials too.

Orange County, CA

Does Festool or others have a large kit with the saw and all the various track lengths, parallel guides, etc? It would seem it would be a much better price that way.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great thread supimeister!
    I have 2 55″ tracks for my saw. No clamps, nothing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Hoping to pick up the Parallel guides set soon. Also maybe to build a nice cut table to use to cut on. Something like the Paulk bench.

Are you planning on going Festool or one of the two aftermarket options? (Rip dog and Seneca Woodworking)
    http://www.festoolproducts.com/Parallel-Guide-System-for-Incra-T-Track-Plus-p/parallel-guide-system-for-incr.htm
    http://precisiondogs.us/products/precision-parallel-guides

I have 2 55″ tracks for my saw

Do you have the connector for the two? Either Festool or Betterley?
    http://www.festoolproducts.com/Betterley-SLC23-StraightLine-Connector-for-Guide-R-p/slc23.htm

John S

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I think a vacuum is the most important accessory…

Good one @brianpeters! Along with that I started keeping a miter saw dust bag in the track saw systainer. For a few quick cuts does really well at capturing the dust.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I want a tracksaw so bad..

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I bought the Festool last year. I got an extra blade for rough lumber, 2 dewalt clamps, an extra 55″ rail and one rail connector.

I dont use it daily but when its used its sweet. When I used to rip a door or put a bevel on it it never came good then I needed to sand the swirls off of the cuts. The Festool is a nice feeling tool but It feels a bit weak honestly, you have to let the RPM’s build then still push it through material.

I do need to get another connector and an extractor would be nice. These tools somehow seem to make more dust than normal. I have been using a hose with no vac just to direct the debris but it will build up with out “extracting”.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Someday a tracksaw will be added to the tools on hand. Everyone has consistently been in favor of these saws. Are there any downsides besides figuring out the accessories you want and having to pay for them?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Downside for me would be that its doesnt replace the tablesaw and is worthless as a circular saw.

If you want a long rail without connectors, traveling and storage.

It is what it is.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Another nice accessory would be that knockdown cutting table that’s been talked about on here..

I work in the shop almost all the time. I can see the track saw as a horizontal panel saw. I have a very capable table saw so the tracksaw would probably see limited use on sheet goods if I were to get one. That’s what has been holding me back.

redwood
    Pro

Lon, I guess if you have no problems manhandling sheet goods on the table saw and get good consistant cuts, you probably don’t need one. For a shop enviroment, I would think that breaking down sheet goods is the primary benifit.

One thing though. With a tracksaw, you can cut multiple sheets at a time, as well as easily cut tapers.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 615 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.087 seconds