dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V4

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 625 total)
  • Author

@doobie yeah we are using those clamps in the shop , they are great , but my favorite ones are the 6 inch model , visegrip make great clamps for our use in the shop , those long jaw come in extremely handy.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

My TOTD was my credit card 😀
    Bought a lot of materials.

😲🙄 What are you working on that you had to buy lots of materials , is that for you , or clients.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Like me buying a lot of auto parts. The most important tool in the tool box.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I used my Bosch SDS+ rotary hammer to break up some concrete. After about 20 minutes in the 100 degree weather the drill chuck started to leak oil out where it connects to the bit. I was using drill bits, chisel bits, but I don’t think I have noticed it leaking oil before. Also the vibration seems to be more than usual (but this could be me in the hot weather feeling more exhausted).

May be it’s on it’s last leg.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

After about 20 minutes in the 100 degree weather the drill chuck started to leak oil out where it connects to the bit.

That is probably not good or it could just be that in the heat the grease melted enough to leak past the seal. Either way not real good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The car will be…..again.
    Sunday – Home (near London) to Manitoulin
    Monday – Manitoulin to Sault Ste Marie
    Tuesday – Soo to Wawa, drive around the area and back to Soo
    Wednesday – Soo to North Bay (lost twice looking for a room)
    Today – Heading to Cobalt, not sure if there will be more.
    Tomorrow – I think we’re heading home. Not sure it will all be in one day.

I think that’s around 2000 kms as of today. Knocks the heck out of you, so do take out meals, and it’s worth the extra money to stay at nicer motels too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

I used my Bosch SDS+ rotary hammer to break up some concrete. After about 20 minutes in the 100 degree weather the drill chuck started to leak oil out where it connects to the bit. I was using drill bits, chisel bits, but I don’t think I have noticed it leaking oil before. Also the vibration seems to be more than usual (but this could be me in the hot weather feeling more exhausted).

You’re supposed to grease the bit’s end before shoving them in the socket head of SDS drills or demo hammers. Helps them from overheating and either breaking the bit prematurely or jamming in the head. The grease will liquefy and drip along the stem as you use it in a blackish oil slick. You need to add more if you’re doing this for a long time. Similar to adding drops of oil in the inlet of pneumatic tools. Insufficiemt grease is likely causing the louder sounds you’re hearing.

Every Bosch SDS tool I’ve ever gotten comes with a tube of grease for just that purpose. When you run out, don’t use lithium or spray on grease. Neither is suitable. Lithium attracts dirt and spray on won’t last.

The grease is also acting as a sealer/barrier to help prevent dirt and dust from migrating easily into the chuck which can cause the bit to jamb in there like a King Arthur sword in the stone.

When I was in the process of buying my Hitachi SDS-Max stem adapter, the tech I spoke to at Hitachi advised to make sure to keep the adapter lubed. If a bit of rock gets in the adapter, I may find that I may never be able to take it off the attachments it’s exacting tolerances of fit of that adapter are so tight.

@Miamicuse

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You’re supposed to grease the bit’s end before shoving them in the socket head of SDS drills or demo hammers. Helps them from overheating and either breaking the bit prematurely or jamming in the head. The grease will liquefy and drip along the stem as you use it. You need to add more if you’re doing this for a long time. Similar to adding drops of oil in the inlet of pneumatic tools. Insufficiemt grease is likely causing the louder sounds you’re hearing.

I knew about using bit grease but I have never done it. Thanks for reminding me. May be I will try some bit grease. Any special brand you recommend?

Doobie

You’re supposed to grease the bit’s end before shoving them in the socket head of SDS drills or demo hammers. Helps them from overheating and either breaking the bit prematurely or jamming in the head. The grease will liquefy and drip along the stem as you use it. You need to add more if you’re doing this for a long time. Similar to adding drops of oil in the inlet of pneumatic tools. Insufficiemt grease is likely causing the louder sounds you’re hearing.

I knew about using bit grease but I have never done it. Thanks for reminding me. May be I will try some bit grease. Any special brand you recommend?

I asked the same some years ago on the BTP. Think I even went so far as asking Bosch tech support. Consensus was just simple axle grease. I bought a jar/tin of it. In hindsight, in tube form is best. I’m still using up the tubes of Bosch supplied grease I got with the half or so SDS tools I own.

Used my SDS-Max today with the tamper plate. Was using it to help pulverize some of the chunks in 2 year old bagged crete that we could sense were really not breaking apart pre-bag-cutting. Was a lot friendlier than wackin’ them with a hard head mallet for a lot of them we ended up mashing my expensive 20 inch German made mallet with interchangeable heads. It was a dual effort using both tools before we tossed the more hardened bags of old crete in the mixer.

Most of the 27 bags we used up were in remarkeably good condition and didn’t have to have that additional pre-mixing task involved and went straight in the mixer. It was the top row of bags on the part pallet that had large hardened chunks that needed breaking up in a dry wheelbarrow that I knew were hard to try to get the mixer to break up unless I let it spin for way longer than desired.

While some ping-pong to almost tennis sized balls didn’t break up in the mixer, it didn’t matter for this crete job. We only set aside three larger chunks that were essentially unbreakable. This was part of a critter-ridder effort for the area below a shed I’m building on piers. Needed to get rid of what was the leftover of four skids of crete I originally started with 2 years ago and felt this a non-critical application where that crete could get used up. It needed not be pretty, just be functional enough for the task at hand.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Any special brand you recommend?

I bought the Bosch stuff off amazon. Works for me not very expensive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The TOTD for me was my biscuit jointer. I used to cut slots in the frame of the TV stand to mount the top using z clips. I bought this biscuit jointer years ago for help aligning boards during glue ups. I think I only used a few times.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

You’re supposed to grease the bit’s end before shoving them in the socket head of SDS drills or demo hammers. Helps them from overheating and either breaking the bit prematurely or jamming in the head. The grease will liquefy and drip along the stem as you use it in a blackish oil slick. You need to add more if you’re doing this for a long time. Similar to adding drops of oil in the inlet of pneumatic tools. Insufficiemt grease is likely causing the louder sounds you’re hearing.

Every Bosch SDS tool I’ve ever gotten comes with a tube of grease for just that purpose. When you run out, don’t use lithium or spray on grease. Neither is suitable. Lithium attracts dirt and spray on won’t last.

The grease is also acting as a sealer/barrier to help prevent dirt and dust from migrating easily into the chuck which can cause the bit to jamb in there like a King Arthur sword in the stone.

When I was in the process of buying my Hitachi SDS-Max stem adapter, the tech I spoke to at Hitachi advised to make sure to keep the adapter lubed. If a bit of rock gets in the adapter, I may find that I may never be able to take it off the attachments it’s exacting tolerances of fit of that adapter are so tight.

@Miamicuse

Sami, wondering if the lubing solved your issue?

Here’s some pics of the aforementioned oily ooze you get from these tools.

In these pics I actually had the Hitachi adapter and its shorter extension stem to show how it does the same just as it does from the 11264EVS Bosch rotary hammer with its tamper plate accessory I used not long ago.

Doobie

My somewhat menial TOTD was this little silicone glue spreader stick I bought ages ago but had yet to use.

Don’t ask me where I got it….can’t remember, but it’s probably Lee Valley for something like that.

Used it to spread some TBIII I have in a gallon that is 5 years old to test with some scrap pieces to try to determine it’s integrity still. It says a full 24 hours, but after 12, it should be decent enough indication if it’s crap.

In the morning, If it’s gummy and not setting, I’ll know not to use the TB3 for it’s intended application tomorrow and will just go buy some fresh TB3.

The face edged angled bristle style silicone glue spreader was nice to use. Holds a decent amount of glue in its tentacles and was eazy-peazy to clean afterwards.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My somewhat menial TOTD was this little silicone glue spreader stick I bought ages ago but had yet to use.

Don’t ask me where I got it….can’t remember, but it’s probably Lee Valley for something like that.

Rockler has the brush plus some other neat stuff to help with gluing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Used it to spread some TBIII I have in a gallon that is 5 years old to test with some scrap pieces to try to determine it’s integrity still. It says a full 24 hours, but after 12, it should be decent enough indication if it’s crap.

In the morning, If it’s gummy and not setting, I’ll know not to use the TB3 for it’s intended application tomorrow and will just go buy some fresh TB3.

The face edged angled bristle style silicone glue spreader was nice to use. Holds a decent amount of glue in its tentacles and was eazy-peazy to clean afterwards.

I bought a bag of 50 little brushes for glue ups and other things , metal tube hollow handle , makes it great for recycling , just pulled out the little bristles and recycle the rest ,
    That’s a pretty cool looking brush 🖌️ though.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The 2 small pry bars I bought were my TOTD. I used them for removing the corner round in the rooms having the floor refinished. The pry bars made the job alot easier too do.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bought a bag of 50 little brushes for glue ups and other things , metal tube hollow handle

They are called acid brushes and come in different widths, pretty much cheap enough to be one use disposable.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bought a bag of 50 little brushes for glue ups and other things , metal tube hollow handle

They are called acid brushes and come in different widths, pretty much cheap enough to be one use disposable.

Thanks Bill , I didn’t know that , but that’s exactly why I bought them for , mainly for glue ups

Doobie

Thanks Bill , I didn’t know that , but that’s exactly why I bought them for , mainly for glue ups

If I’m not mistaken, those acid brushes are originally intended for spreading soldering flux paste prior to soldering copper pipe.

I have them in my soldering kit stuff, but never cared for them for glue ups. Too narrow for many applications.

I’d use the edge of an old credit card after applying them over those acid brushes. You get a more even glue spread with a plastic card and in some respects more control over glue drippage wastage.

To each their own on that kind of thing though. If it works for you, it may not be so amenable to someone else. Also depends on what you are trying to glue up.

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 625 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.107 seconds