dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V4

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 625 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I believe DWB said he used a pair of brake pliers or something like that , and they were not expensive he mentioned.

Are saying he used brake pliers for collin clamps or snap rings?

I can’t remember a hundred percent , but yes I think it was something like that

Ok. Down the road I might look at getting collin clamps.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Down the road I might look at getting collin clamps.

They seem to be the thing for corner clamping.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A mix between the Richard sanding pad hooked up to the Bosch vacuum , great combo , really kept the dust down

A mix between the Richard sanding pad hooked up to the Bosch vacuum , great combo , really kept the dust down

Also the Ryobi cordless sander , with the 2.0 amp battery , I got about 1/2 runtime , just enough to finish the sanding of the kitchen eating area , around 10×10 all the wainscoting board joints and a few other things.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Also the Ryobi cordless sander , with the 2.0 amp battery , I got about 1/2 runtime

Man that’s great from an entry level sander.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Also the Ryobi cordless sander , with the 2.0 amp battery , I got about 1/2 runtime

Sorry I forgot to say hour lol 1/2 hour runtime ,
    Actually so far very impressed with the sander , it’s slightly bigger than the Bosch ROS20VKS

Doobie

Actually so far very impressed with the sander , it’s slightly bigger than the Bosch ROS20VKS

How’s the vibration? As I’ve gotten older, vibration has been more of a concern when judging a sander than years ago.

How’s the vibration? As I’ve gotten older, vibration has been more of a concern when judging a sander than years ago.

Yeah it’s definitely not up to the Bosch quality , but it’s okay for what I needed , I mean for the price , I personally think they are better than MC tools
    Honestly I was pretty impressed with the sander , especially for the price point ,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

it’s slightly bigger than the Bosch ROS20VKS

That’s not bad sizewise, although the ROS20 is a great sander.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Yeah it’s definitely not up to the Bosch quality , but it’s okay for what I needed , I mean for the price , I personally think they are better than MC tools

Honestly I was pretty impressed with the sander , especially for the price point ,

Exactly. I did buy the 18V Makita last year. Not intended as a go-to sander for in the shop, but I wanted one for when I just have to do a little job away from the shop. The price was right on it also. Think it was bare tool $100 or so. Used it last month for the first time in the backyard. It was OK!

🤷‍♂️ @doobie I responded back in quote , but maybe to many quotes already ,

Exactly. I did buy the 18V Makita last year. Not intended as a go-to sander for in the shop, but I wanted one for when I just have to do a little job away from the shop. The price was right on it also. Think it was bare tool $100 or so. Used it last month for the first time in the backyard. It was OK!

Nice , is that the 5inch orbital sander , I was wondering if I should opt for another platform , say like Makita or Milwaukee ,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice comparison between two makes of precision screwdrivers

Tool of the Day: Xiaomi Wiha Precision Screwdriver Set

https://toolguyd.com/xiaomi-wiha-precision-screwdriver-set-tool-of-the-day/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

doobie I responded back in quote , but maybe to many quotes already ,

Missed that tag Brian. But there is no post hidden to clear. Don’t know what may have gone wrong on that one.

Nice , is that the 5inch orbital sander , I was wondering if I should opt for another platform , say like Makita or Milwaukee ,

It’s the 5 inch 18V Makita.

Insofar as whether to go with Milwaukee or Makita, myself, I’ve had bad experiences multiple times with Milwaukee stuff over many years and about 5 years ago, decided to no longer even look at their stuff and donated to the charity restore what I did have left of their 18V stuff.

One poorly designed and trigger defective smallish RA corded drill that was 20+ years old, I managed to get $25 dollars instead of $20 at the pawn shop in town here because I brought in the owners manual with it. Go figure eh! The trigger and the reverse/forward toggle switch were POS in use and design. It got repaired once, but no way I was gonna do it a second time, off to the pawn shop it went instead.

Other than that, I still have a large corded Milwaukee RA drill (not the Hole Hawg, the smaller one) for tough drilling into joists/studs, but even that unit had to have its chuck replaced which Milwaukee wanted $75 for the part, but I managed to find the same OEM chuck for $25 special ordered at JC Cayer instead.

Even a 25 foot long Milwaukee measuring tape I bought at HD is a POS. The bottom has a bowed design and when standing on end, flips on its side if you fart in its vicinity. I use it for laying out/planning things in the dirt outside to save my other tapes from accidentally getting dirt in their guts, otherwise, it never gets used.

In summary, Milwaukee is no longer in my books. Just poor quality and poor designs in my opinion. I’ve probably trashed a dozen Milwaukee tools that have died prematurely. But heck, maybe I’ve just been incredibly unlucky with their stuff and most other users haven’t and are quite happy after many years with their Milwaukee choices, but not me obviously. I do like still their InkZall markers, but it’s nothing to brag about. It’s essentially no better than a Sharpie.

With that said, I’ve owned various corded Makita over the decades and never had any real problems. A finicky trigger once in a blue moon on an old Makita DP3720 model drill which was my first drill purchase ever when I was 20 or so years old is still used to this day, although seldom as it is dedicated to a Kreg pocket hole little setup I have for it, and once I got a Domino 10 years ago, I rarely ever use my Kreg. Look at the color in the pics below, did you know they made their tools in grey long ago?

I really jumped on the 18V Makita platform a couple of years ago due to their gardening stuff, and have since added a lot of non gardening 18V tools since. I really like their impacts. Rarely use my Bosch impacts now, but all my Bosch impacts are now pretty well 5 years plus old models and are super loud compared to the two Makitas I have, one being their oil impact which is super quiet for an impact.

Think I’ve probably gotten 5-7 grand into Makita the last few years. Very happy. No regrets and as an added bonus, I discovered their HO and service center here in Canada is a 15 minute drive away from me here, which I only discovered long after I jumped on their bandwagon in a big way. Bonus.

@doobie cool I had no idea that they were grey long ago , was that just the corded tools , I remember the first 7 or 9 volt cordless drill was the teal colour

I don’t think I would go Milwaukee , we started buying into those in the shop , some of them are nice , especially the 12 volt , but I just find the 18 volt just not that same quality as the Makita that the guys in the millwright trades are using
    As for the Bosch , I definitely have to say that the quality is pretty much top-notch , I’ve had a few DeWalt and other brands like MC and craftsman and even one of the first Milwaukee cordless drills have issues ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Insofar as whether to go with Milwaukee or Makita, myself, I’ve had bad experiences multiple times with Milwaukee stuff over many years and about 5 years ago, decided to no longer even look at their stuff and donated to the charity restore what I did have left of their 18V stuff.

One poorly designed and trigger defective smallish RA corded drill that was 20+ years old, I managed to get $25 dollars instead of $20 at the pawn shop in town here because I brought in the owners manual with it. Go figure eh! The trigger and the reverse/forward toggle switch were POS in use and design. It got repaired once, but no way I was gonna do it a second time, off to the pawn shop it went instead.

Other than that, I still have a large corded Milwaukee RA drill (not the Hole Hawg, the smaller one) for tough drilling into joists/studs, but even that unit had to have its chuck replaced which Milwaukee wanted $75 for the part, but I managed to find the same OEM chuck for $25 special ordered at JC Cayer instead.

Even a 25 foot long Milwaukee measuring tape I bought at HD is a POS. The bottom has a bowed design and when standing on end, flips on its side if you fart in its vicinity. I use it for laying out/planning things in the dirt outside to save my other tapes from accidentally getting dirt in their guts, otherwise, it never gets used.

In summary, Milwaukee is no longer in my books. Just poor quality and poor designs in my opinion. I’ve probably trashed a dozen Milwaukee tools that have died prematurely. But heck, maybe I’ve just been incredibly unlucky with their stuff and most other users haven’t and are quite happy after many years with their Milwaukee choices, but not me obviously. I do like still their InkZall markers, but it’s nothing to brag about. It’s essentially no better than a Sharpie.

With that said, I’ve owned various corded Makita over the decades and never had any real problems. A finicky trigger once in a blue moon on an old Makita DP3720 model drill which was my first drill purchase ever when I was 20 or so years old is still used to this day, although seldom as it is dedicated to a Kreg pocket hole little setup I have for it, and once I got a Domino 10 years ago, I rarely ever use my Kreg. Look at the color in the pics below, did you know they made their tools in grey long ago?

I really jumped on the 18V Makita platform a couple of years ago due to their gardening stuff, and have since added a lot of non gardening 18V tools since. I really like their impacts. Rarely use my Bosch impacts now, but all my Bosch impacts are now pretty well 5 years plus old models and are super loud compared to the two Makitas I have, one being their oil impact which is super quiet for an impact.

Think I’ve probably gotten 5-7 grand into Makita the last few years. Very happy. No regrets and as an added bonus, I discovered their HO and service center here in Canada is a 15 minute drive away from me here, which I only discovered long after I jumped on their bandwagon in a big way. Bonus.

You haven’t had good luck with Milwaukee tools. Honestly I have never used or own any Milwaukee tools. Before I joined BTP I was thinking about getting in too Milwaukee tools.

I like your Kreg set up. I might have to do something like that. I have old K2 I bought 7 years ago at auction sale. I have used it some. Not alot in the last few years. I do have my very first corded drill I bought I could use with this set too. I couldn’t sell at yard sale years ago. It is pretty much still new. It wasn’t long after I bought it I went to cordless Dewalt drill.
    I can’t say I every saw grey Makita drill before.

Greg

Doobie

doobie cool I had no idea that they were grey long ago , was that just the corded tools , I remember the first 7 or 9 volt cordless drill was the teal colour

Cordless anything didn’t exist back then except for feminine hygiene pads. Not even house phones had cordless versions in the late 70s early 80s.

doobie cool I had no idea that they were grey long ago , was that just the corded tools , I remember the first 7 or 9 volt cordless drill was the teal colour

Cordless anything didn’t exist back then except for feminine hygiene pads. Not even house phones had cordless versions in the late 70s early 80s.

They make cordless feminine hygiene pads 🤭🤷‍♂️😉
    Yeah I knew that lol ,

Doobie

Today, I had an opportunity come up that required me to fix my ratty old double swing door side gate. The larger panel had skewed so much over the years that I couldn’t open it.

After doing a re-bolting job on the top hinge to prop up the gate panel higher off the ground, I needed to affix a scrap piece of ply on the non-street side to help keep it from sagging further. These deep throat vice grips made that solo execution that much easier.

20200824_175758

20200824_175747

20200824_205431

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I would have say my 15 Delta 380 thickness planer was my TOTD for me. It short work of planing up some pine boards I used to build a stove top cover. I really happy with this machine.

Also my old 6 x 48 Beaver belt sander worked pretty good for shaping the handles.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 625 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.812 seconds