dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V4

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 702 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t understand, you own the house you live in but not the land? Is this some sort of condo or coop property and you have a landlord?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I will keep a eye out for you. If find a place in my area and have any questions. I might be able to answer them. Internet in the country isn’t the greatest. But there is local company that hin town east of me that has started a internet company that works great for rural areas. . Good luck. Most places out of town you be able to do what ever you want off the back deck

Thanks. We are keeping an eye out on the MLS and Purple Bricks, but of course, we have to sell first. We have seen places from Cornwall area to Kirkland Lake and across to Manitouage and Wawa. As you can see, we’re not exactly locked into a specific area. I like the area just south of Algonquin park, which still covers a lot of ground. We have seen places that look interesting in the $60k range. Cheaper is better, like I said there are very few “musts” on the criteria. We have to be able to live in it is all. We can renovate to suit, we may even prefer that.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doesn’t sound like a easy job Jim.

Lots of logistics. We’re going to try to sell without an agent. My sister was an agent and is giving us tips. Keep an eye out in your area for me would you? It’s one we would consider after we sell, which could be a while. That whole area all the way up to Barry’s Bay and even east looks interesting. I’ve seen a few online. A few “musts”…water, electricity, good septic, internet, around $100k. Of course a shop of some sort would be nice and close enough to amenities. As long as it keeps us warm and dry and we can cook a meal everything else can be handled. The ability to take a leak off the back deck without disturbing neighbours would be high on the list too….lol.

Lmao , that last comment 🤭🤫
    It’s definitely nice to have a little bit of land , going outside and hearing the neighbors fart is kinda close lol

Doobie

The ability to take a leak off the back deck without disturbing neighbours would be high on the list too….lol.

Lol! Now that’s my kind of place! 👍

Doobie

Got the pool up, landlord is being a jerk about it again, so to heck with it.

What’s his prob with the pool? Is it that he feels it’s killing the well potentially? (I assume it’s well water there.)

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I will keep a eye out for you. If find a place in my area and have any questions. I might be able to answer them. Internet in the country isn’t the greatest. But there is local company that hin town east of me that has started a internet company that works great for rural areas. . Good luck. Most places out of town you be able to do what ever you want off the back deck

Thanks. We are keeping an eye out on the MLS and Purple Bricks, but of course, we have to sell first. We have seen places from Cornwall area to Kirkland Lake and across to Manitouage and Wawa. As you can see, we’re not exactly locked into a specific area. I like the area just south of Algonquin park, which still covers a lot of ground. We have seen places that look interesting in the $60k range. Cheaper is better, like I said there are very few “musts” on the criteria. We have to be able to live in it is all. We can renovate to suit, we may even prefer that.

Good luck with your search. Yes I can your not locked down to specific area.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

What’s his prob with the pool?

Oh, he has a thousand bitches about it. Even though it’s been there for 18 years. He bought the park 3 1/2 years ago and it was OK up until last year when we distanced ourselves from the gossiping toxic maintenance people. Now it’s against the rules to have a pool (even though it’s part of our tenancy agreement), it’s hard on the water system (even though the water report says otherwise and never had a problem in 18 years, which in that time the system has been upgraded), it’s against the by-laws (even though the by-law officers have been here 3 times over the 18 years and never said a thing about it), it’s a danger and someone might get hurt (even though the river is 3 metres away down a steep embankment into deeper water). He’s just being a jerk.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Tool of the day today goes to my Bosch 5 point laser. Makes leveling ledger boards a breeze.

Doobie

What’s his prob with the pool?

Oh, he has a thousand bitches about it. Even though it’s been there for 18 years. He bought the park 3 1/2 years ago and it was OK up until last year when we distanced ourselves from the gossiping toxic maintenance people. Now it’s against the rules to have a pool (even though it’s part of our tenancy agreement), it’s hard on the water system (even though the water report says otherwise and never had a problem in 18 years, which in that time the system has been upgraded), it’s against the by-laws (even though the by-law officers have been here 3 times over the 18 years and never said a thing about it), it’s a danger and someone might get hurt (even though the river is 3 metres away down a steep embankment into deeper water). He’s just being a jerk.

As far as the bylaw folks, you’re basically ‘grandfathered’ if they haven’t said it to you. I was told by my town that once you have so many years under your belt with something that was maybe not even allowed back when it was originally done, a period like ten years or more, unless it it is deemed ‘unsafe’ or in disrepair/derelict, they won’t do squat based on some new complaint about it. Town folks can be a PITA at times, but they know there are legal limits.

Insofar as the new walking penis head landlord, you have a written lease agreement allowance for it, but the new owner doesn’t like it. Tough boobies for him.

Chillax Jim. He wants to aggravate you about it so you do move. Why give him that satisfaction.

Do what I do, or what I learned to do with bullies since I was a youngster. Get in his face about it…..or simply ignore him. They go away! Or they simply start to look to be looking foolish to others they are fostering against you girating about such when there is nothing to be had. Stick around and let him look like the idiot that flutters about $hit he will be shown he can’t do squat about. He’ll eventually give up Jim.

Almost all jerks/bullies generally do. In fact, I learned quite a few times in life when you get in their face about it and show you have no fear of them or their threats, they back down, in fact, ultimately becoming a friend/allie in most situations.

Strange how that works out so many times that getting in their face they become buddy-buddies. I guess it’s a testosterone thing of sorts. Who knows.

Internal reaction/angst is not the solution. It needs a displayed reaction to deal with these kinds of characters in life. Either show it runs over you, or spit it in his face about it! You have to judge for yourself which method would work for you. It’s a crap shoot at times with such when confronted with these kinds of things.

I just thought the retreat and move idea is maybe pre-mature, not to mention costly and somewhat discouraging considering all the work we’ve seen you do there over the years and I’d toss in another point of view for you from what you wrote. FWIW.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Tool of the day today goes to my Bosch 5 point laser. Makes leveling ledger boards a breeze.

The laser levels have their place for sure and they sure have made lots of jobs easier.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

you’re basically ‘grandfathered’

The correct term is “legal non complying” or “legal non conforming”. The term “grandfathered” originated in the southern states after the civil war and was a law that basically stated that you are only allowed to vote if your grandfather was allowed. Which prevented the descendants of slaves from voting.

We already got papers from his lawyer, so, he is playing the dick card. We have a pretty good case according to the legal advise I got. We have no written lease, but we do have an 18 year history of having a pool and 3 cancelled cheques we gave to the landlord labelled “pool fill” for the water. If that’s not written permission, I don’t know what is….lol.

I have the bylaw officer coming out again today to see what he says, again. Got a realtor coming to assess the home. Got a real estate lawyer that has to get back to me, but he handled the purchase when we bought, so that should be in line. Been working on a description for the ad. So things are slowly rolling along the sell line.

We are of the mind that this just isn’t going to end. If not this excuse, there will be something else. Tired of the BS.

We are asking a pretty good price but it’s a pretty non typical place on the premium lot of the park. If we get close enough to that price it will cover a new place, the move, and enough to fix it up a bit plus a bit of a nest egg. Going to look for something with good bones that needs some TLC. Our needs/wants are not too much, buy low, sell high..lol.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The other problem with “legal non-conforming” assets is that you are typically not allowed to improve, expand, extend them.

So if you have a shed in place that’s not to today’s code, the shed can only stay but can’t be changed or improved upon. In that sense they would allow you to let it rot then get rid of it eventually.

In addition, if there is no written agreement in place, it can be tough from a legal standpoint. When I buy a rental property with existing tenants, I always, as a precondition of the purchase, make the existing landlord get an estoppel letter from each tenant. That estoppel letter basically said that the existing written lease agreement that I will be inheriting is 100% of the agreement with the current landlord, there is no other verbal or written side agreements between them, and there is no money owed between the two parties, and once the ownership has been transferred, they will sign a new lease agreement with me, with all existing lease terms null and void. If I do not get an signed and dated estoppel letter from each tenant, then I withdraw my offer. I don’t want a tenant to tell me six months down the road that he/she paid the last landlord $100000 dollars and it’s understood that that paid for 100 months of future rent, or that the last landlord verbally agreed to allow him/her to build another house next to his to be rented out.

There are so many issues with ownership transfers with verbal agreements that nowadays I do not think they do buy and sell with signed estoppel to nullify any potential hidden agreements. I don’t know if Canada is the same way.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I don’t know if Canada is the same way.

It depends where you are. In Ontario, when you purchase a rental property you also get all tenant agreements as is. A landlord cannot demand a new lease be signed. He can ask, but not demand. The tenant agreement is a contract between 2 parties and cannot be changed by an individual party. Both parties must agree to the contract change. A tenancy agreement, by definition, can be written, oral, or implied. Each type given equal weight.
    In my case, my agreement is (was) oral, and also implied by the fact that I have had a pool on my yard for 18 years. The old landlord lived right next to me for the last 4 years that he was here. If there was a problem, I’d have heard about it.

My tool of the day was mostly the neighbours power washer. Got the deck, patio, and outside of the house spiffed up a bit.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Update:

Had a realtor in to assess the home, we are going to list with him. He is charging us 4% of sale price. We are listing at $194,900 and he thinks that is pretty reasonable. If we get close to that price we ought to have enough to buy something up north outright and have enough left over for renovations and fixing up. I’m kind of excited now. Hardly slept last night, I bet I remodeled a home in my mind about 3 times.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Update:

Had a realtor in to assess the home, we are going to list with him. He is charging us 4% of sale price. We are listing at $194,900 and he thinks that is pretty reasonable. If we get close to that price we ought to have enough to buy something up north outright and have enough left over for renovations and fixing up. I’m kind of excited now. Hardly slept last night, I bet I remodeled a home in my mind about 3 times.

That is good new Jim. Yes I am sure you excited . I know the feeling but we have over 3 months to take possession of our new home. I booked 2 weeks holidays for when after we take possession. I could get then when I wanted.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It depends where you are. In Ontario, when you purchase a rental property you also get all tenant agreements as is. A landlord cannot demand a new lease be signed. He can ask, but not demand. The tenant agreement is a contract between 2 parties and cannot be changed by an individual party. Both parties must agree to the contract change.

That’s pretty much standard, same down here in south Florida.

However, there are always ways to work things out. If I were the buyer and your ex-landlord the seller, I would have mentioned that to him, that for the purchase to go through, part of the pre-condition is to obtain from you a signed estoppel letter stating that there is a written lease (and I must have a copy) or if it’s a verbal lease I must have it in a written form so I can review it, I cannot review a verbal lease. On top of that, if having a pool is a problem, then I would have raised that issue with your ex-landlord and also work into the purchase contract some sort of a resolution, for example at the end of your lease the lease will not be renewed unless the pool is gone, or whatever the resolution is, that way you, your ex-landlord, and the buyer are all on the same page before the sale transacts.

Tenant leases get modified all the time during a purchase. Yes you need both parties to agree to modify. But the buyer has the leverage to make the seller jump through hoops as a contingency. In my last deal in an apartment building the seller had rented to a nephew an apartment for $300 a month when the market rent rate was $1000. There were still 7 months on the lease and a deposit was never collected. Sure I must honor that lease, but I told the seller I need to oollect market rent for that unit. I gave him a choice, either (A) get his nephew to agree to raise the rent to $1000 a month plus a deposit after the sale, or (B) he credits the sale price by 7 * $700 plus a deposit, or (C) I sign a rental agreement to rent to the seller for 7 months with market rent, and he convince his nephew to sign a sublet agreement with him for the original $300. How he makes it happen I don’t care, he has to make it happen or I walk. Some sellers would give cash as an incentive to the tenant to modify a lease if that’s what it takes.

I say your current landlord didn’t do his due diligence or he changed his mind about the pool after the sale.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That’s pretty much standard,

It may differ in that a lease carries on indefinitely here. Even if the lease expires, a tenant goes to a monthly arrangement under the terms of the old lease. Again, the terms cannot be changed without both parties agreeing. So, in order to get a tenant to sign a new lease, there had better be something in it for them to encourage them to sign (unless they’re stupid). One of the best pieces of legal advise I ever got was to never sign anything unless there is some benefit to me by doing so. It would be foolish of anyone to sign a new contract that is worse than the previous one, so it would behoove a landlord to come to them with some offer in another area in order to offset what a tenant is giving up.

Update:

Congratulations Jim , 🤞 hopefully you can get a deal done fast , good luck with the search for a new place

That’s about standard rate for realtors , they are negotiable depending on the person and selling price

LoL that last line about sleeping 😂 , hang in there ,
    I’ll say though , your place is looking good from what I’ve seen in the videos , you have fixed it up nicely Jim.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bet I remodeled a home in my mind about 3 times.

Good luck JDO, too bad you have to leave your workshop behind. Maybe you’ll find something with a nice shop already done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Update:

Sounds like the wheels are rolling and you’re on side with it moving in that direction. Wish you good luck moving forward on all that Jim. How’s wifey on all this?

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 702 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.303 seconds