dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V3

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author

My tool of every day for more than a month is the Dewalt 20V 18-Gauge cordless, brushless nailer.
    Man, what a life saver. No more hoses and compressors. I still do have a 6 gallon Bostitch in my truck.

Definitely nice not dragging out the compressor, eventually want to buy a cordless nailers.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My TOTD was my sliding t-square. I’ve been using it as a marking gauge a lot lately and it came in so handy again today!

I have a little 4″ model that lives in my pocket in the shop. Probably the most used tool in the shop.

After all the use I’ve gotten out of this one I could see getting a smaller one too – I had no idea how useful they are!

I’ve had two just sitting on my peg board for years, but because they aren’t nearly as true to square as my speed square I almost never reached for them. But I guess that’s like everything right? You don’t use it until you do, and then everything needs it!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

My TOTD were my panel carriers. A five dollar plastic item that really helps with haulin panels around.

How do they work?

The plastic ones I’ve seen are just basically an extension for your arm so you can easily reach the bottom of a panel comfortably. But I really like the look of the metal ones with foam pads that just grip the top of the panel – those seem like the bees knees.

I have two of the cheapo plastic ones which I use primarily for longer distance hauls, and I do have a pair of the clasping at the top style also ‘Gorilla Gripper’ which I rarely use.

The Gorilla Gripper is OK for moving sheets from one spot to another close by as you don’t have to get the sheet up from the ground to get the plastic ones underneath in order to carry, but it is easier over long distances holding a sheet hanging off one arm than with and arm bent shoulder high such as is required with the way the Gorilla Gripper functions.

The GG can be easier in some cases where heavy sheets are laying stacked flat though for grabbing alone. It can also be OK for pulling a sheet towards you if up doing a roofing situation or getting a sheet up with you on a scaffold working alone. The GG has its uses over regular plastic panel carriers, just not as often as one would think. Frankly, I seldom use it and I’ve had it for over a dozen years now, but on occasion it is the perfect device to have.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My TOTD were my panel carriers. A five dollar plastic item that really helps with haulin panels around.

How do they work?

The plastic ones I’ve seen are just basically an extension for your arm so you can easily reach the bottom of a panel comfortably. But I really like the look of the metal ones with foam pads that just grip the top of the panel – those seem like the bees knees.

My TOTD was my sliding t-square. I’ve been using it as a marking gauge a lot lately and it came in so handy again today!

Do you have the metal one?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

How do they work?

I don’t have either but I assumed the GG was the better way to go, but I’m glad you chimed in @doobie – those plastic ones are pretty cheap, and I can imagine exactly what you’re talking about. Thanks for the recommendation.

Charlie

Instagram

How do they work?

I don’t have either but I assumed the GG was the better way to go, but I’m glad you chimed in @doobie – those plastic ones are pretty cheap, and I can imagine exactly what you’re talking about. Thanks for the recommendation.

Geeze, I thought I was doing okay so my 4 inch c clamps, especially since most of the work with the plywood was for subfloor and framing :o.
    I could understand if It was for finishing work, definitely would not want to damage the wood 😐

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

How do they work?

Geeze, I thought I was doing okay so my 4 inch c clamps, especially since most of the work with the plywood was for subfloor and framing :o.
    I could understand if It was for finishing work, definitely would not want to damage the wood 😐

There’s an idea – and I already have one of those!

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just grab the sheet by the middle with my hand.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

By the time I find the mover thingy I could of had the sheet moved. But I have thought many times about getting one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Been doing it this way for many years. And didn’t cost me a dime. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

If I could figure out how to do that I wouldn’t need any type of grip either – I always have to carry them by the edge, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

How do they work?

No prob.

And I do that too. But when I’m doin a lot of them or they are super heavy, I prefer the plastic lifts.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My TOTD was my stapler. This morning I was attaching the last piece of art on the five foot frame I built and I’m so happy to have a new littler stapler.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My OMT won the day again today – I can’t tell you how many times that caulk blade has been just the thing!

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I can’t tell you how many times that caulk blade has been just the thing!

I like the caulk blade also. Saves alot of time.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The caulk blade is great. I have used mine a lot of times.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I don’t have the actual caulk blade, I just ground the broken teeth off a used wood blade to make a slightly sharpened edge and use that. I picked up that tip from @austin and it’s served me so well!

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I don’t have the actual caulk blade, I just ground the broken teeth off a used wood blade to make a slightly sharpened edge and use that. I picked up that tip from @austin and it’s served me so well!

I have done the same thing with an old blade. The teeth on the one I used were practically gone to begin. Didn’t have to do much grinding to finish it. It has worked well for me.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Getting an actual caulk blade can be easier though to not marr surrounding areas as it has a nice bullnose end to it.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Getting an actual caulk blade can be easier though to not marr surrounding areas as it has a nice bullnose end to it.

You could do that with an old blade too, but I like the wider blade.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 1,005 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day) V3’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.111 seconds