dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V3

This topic contains 1,004 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  ChadM 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The old Rockwell planer was my TOTD. Rough plane cherry in just 3 passes. One side just under the nominal mill size to establish a flat face then 2 more passes to clean up the mill marks and see the grain. Final sizing will be just 2 more passes at up to 1/8″ per pass.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Doobie
    Pro

My Bosch 18V blower was a star attraction again at the beach blowin up our floaties. People would come over and ask what it was. I even let one lady dry her hair with it. Hadn’t thought of that use for it.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I did use my blower a few times with my son holding the blower directed at me outside, to blow all the saw dust off my body after cutting wood all day.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Today when finish sanding the picture frames I had to stop using the random orbital sander as it inflames the joint on my thumb so hand sanding – but the Norton 3x 120 grit has truly surprised me as to how well it is performing, stock removal, durability, and ease of use it is may TOTD.

see if you can get your hands on one of those stihl antivibration gloves, they work pretty decently maybe that’ll help you with your thumbs.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

These radio’s are my TOTD. We give each girl a radio when leave the campsite. Just so we keep in touch with them.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

These radio’s are my TOTD. We give each girl a radio when leave the campsite. Just so we keep in touch with them.

That’s a great idea. I can see us going that route in the near future – it would make giving the girls more independence a little easier on us parents.

Do those ones have a pretty good range?

Charlie

Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

my totd was a level to find the right slope for sewer pipes

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

TOTD for me today was this old DeWalt angle grinder I was using with a flap disc for coping. I used a jigsaw to get close and then carefully removed the rest with the grinder and it seemed to work really well. I guess we’ll see when I comes time to actually put it all in.

Charlie

Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

My tool of the day was my coping saw. I used to hate coping base by hand because I wasn’t good at it. But after installing 6 inch crown in 80% of a 3000 ft home I figured it out and now I enjoy it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But after installing 6 inch crown in 80% of a 3000 ft home I figured it out and now I enjoy it.

LOL guess that would make you pretty proficient with it at by the end.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

TOTD for me today was this old DeWalt angle grinder I was using with a flap disc for coping. I used a jigsaw to get close and then carefully removed the rest with the grinder and it seemed to work really well. I guess we’ll see when I comes time to actually put it all in.

Great idea! I like it. Coping has always been a challenge for me; I will give that method a try, thank you.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Doobie
    Pro

Today when finish sanding the picture frames I had to stop using the random orbital sander as it inflames the joint on my thumb so hand sanding – but the Norton 3x 120 grit has truly surprised me as to how well it is performing, stock removal, durability, and ease of use it is may TOTD.

see if you can get your hands on one of those stihl antivibration gloves, they work pretty decently maybe that’ll help you with your thumbs.

I bought a pair of anti-vibration gloves recently. They seem to help, but they are pricey. They go for $40-50 CAD up here and honestly don’t look much different than a 3-pack of Husky gloves I just bought for my son to use helping me out at $25. The palm padding doesn’t seem much different between the two, yet when I used my anti-vibration ones on a second day of doing the same vibrating task of running the stand up bobcat from using regular non padded gloves the first day, I didn’t get the hand numbness and mini shakes I was getting the day before not using the anti-vibration gloves nor did I get those symptoms subsequently on other days with even more prolonged times each day on that bobcat.

I guess they work. Can’t compare them to the Huskys I got for my son as they don’t fit me. The Huskys don’t say they are anti-vibration, but like I said, the palm padding seems no different.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My tool of the day was my coping saw. I used to hate coping base by hand because I wasn’t good at it. But after installing 6 inch crown in 80% of a 3000 ft home I figured it out and now I enjoy it.

Wow, that’s a lot of coping,
    Definitely takes slightly longer, but the results are way nicer corners.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Not many have ever claimed they enjoyed a coping saw. I use one and like the way it looks when done properly. But cant say I like using the tool. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That’s a great idea. I can see us going that route in the near future – it would make giving the girls more independence a little easier on us parents.

We started using radios last year at my parent’s trailer. It worked great and it does give the kids more independence. One of our radios from last year quit working so I bought these ones.

Greg

I am making my tool of the day my air conditioner, and I think I am developing deep feelings for it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Great idea! I like it. Coping has always been a challenge for me; I will give that method a try, thank you.

It seems to work alright for me – I don’t have much experience at it, and I’m sure there are much better and more technically proficient ways to go about it, but for what I’m doing and the tools I have, it’s working out pretty well.

@clev08 I would love the chance to practice that much. It’s really rewarding to me to get to spend the time getting really proficient at a task I used to struggle with.

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

pricey. They go for $40-50 CAD up here and honestly don’t look much different than a 3-pack of Husky gloves I just bought for my son to use helping me out at $25. The palm padding doesn’t seem much different between the two, yet when I used my anti-vibration ones on a second day of doing the same vibrating task of running the stand up bobcat from using regular non padded gloves the first day, I didn’t get the hand numbness and mini shakes I was getting the day before not using the anti-vibration gloves nor did I get those symptoms subsequently on other days with even more prolonged times each day on that bobcat.

mine have special padding in certain parts of the gloves, and they seem to work really well when i am handling stuff with tons of vibration. i mean they could always have more padding

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The folding wagon we have is my TOTD. I had all our stuff for the beach and I had the dingy strapped on top. They are handy wagon to have. They are pretty popular here at the campground.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The TOTD was the Ridgid JobMax 3/8ths 12volt ratchet,, where’s there’s a only room for a 1/4 turn it’s a huge time saver.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 1,005 total)

The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day) V3’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 1.156 seconds