dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V3

This topic contains 1,004 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  ChadM 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Ridgid 18volt Sliding Compound Miter Saw!!! Cutting flooring.

That’s a very nice and practical saw,
    Did you clamp it to the keeter table, or just for weight of the saw is enough.

Doobie
    Pro

Looks like it has a Diablo blade on it. Nice.

Yes it has an Italian blade owned by a German company on a chinese SCMSaw,,, what a mess….

Too funny….well put! 😁

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My cordless saw was my TOTD today. Cutting through 1×6 and 4x4with ease.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Don’t you just love that little saw? Mine was just a star yesterday as well, handles 2x so easily.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Don’t you just love that little saw? Mine was just a star yesterday as well, handles 2x so easily.

I really do! It’s so easy to use and always gets the job done.

I have one at work too and the other day I loaned it out to a small group of high schoolers who were working on some stage decorations with the youth pastor. I don’t know if any of them had used power tools before, but they were having a great time cutting 1x4s with it.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Ridgid 18volt Sliding Compound Miter Saw!!! Cutting flooring.

That’s a very nice and practical saw,
    Did you clamp it to the keeter table, or just for weight of the saw is enough.

No clamps, it just sits there. Those keter tables are getting crunchy tho..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

My very old, but still working fine Black and Decker Aligator chain saw was my TOTD taking down a lilac tree and trimmin some dead maple branches.

It just works surprisingly well for small diameter stuff or for thick shrub/hedge row sever trim downs which is what I initially got it for years ago but now no longer have headge rows of bridal spirea anymore. You can grasp a clump of shrub stems in its jaws and swiftly remove big clumps at a time. Pretty safe design for dealing with that stuff.

I think you can still buy it and lookin online for an image to post, I believe I saw that they also make a cordless model now. I gotta say, B & D stuff seems like a joke to me nowadays, but this one is a little known jewel imo.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

old, but still working fine Black and Decker Aligator chain saw

I don’t think I have ever seen a Alligator chainsaw before. From what you described it sounds like is the right tool for the job.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My very old, but still working fine Black and Decker Aligator chain saw was my TOTD taking down a lilac tree and trimmin some dead maple branches.

It just works surprisingly well for small diameter stuff or for thick shrub/hedge row sever trim downs which is what I initially got it for years ago but now no longer have headge rows of bridal spirea anymore. You can grasp a clump of shrub stems in its jaws and swiftly remove big clumps at a time. Pretty safe design for dealing with that stuff.

I think you can still buy it and lookin online for an image to post, I believe I saw that they also make a cordless model now. I gotta say, B & D stuff seems like a joke to me nowadays, but this one is a little known jewel imo.

I have seen that design before and it looked like such a pointless tool, so I’m intrigued to hear that it actually performs well. And you said it’s good for clumps of growth? Do you think it would work well on bamboo swaths?

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Tool of the day the lowly wood rasp. Really smooths out an opening in a hurry.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Tool of the day the lowly wood rasp. Really smooths out an opening in a hurry.

I see people using rasps all the time to make incredible features in wood. I’d like to get some someday – any recommendations on a good starter set?

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

That is a strange looking beast for sure. Never saw one before.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My tool of the day was my 20 years old pruning shear and the hand held pruning snips,
    Cleaning out a corner garden.

Clev08
    Pro

My tool of the day would have to be my truck, it’s been a workhorse hauling all our stuff 3 hours back home from our college apartment.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

TOTD for me yesterday had to be my cordless jigsaw. I was scribing in some pressure treated 2×4 to make a border (and fill left over space around the pavers) and I cut a ton with only one 4.0 and it just ate through that wood! It’s such a great tool to have.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

I have seen that design before and it looked like such a pointless tool, so I’m intrigued to hear that it actually performs well. And you said it’s good for clumps of growth? Do you think it would work well on bamboo swaths?

That I can’t attest to. Never dealt with bamboo clearing. Isn’t bamboo really stringy?

I’ve never had to sharpen the blade on it making sure like all chainsaw type of blades to never get to close to dirt with it as that dulls a blade super fast. You just make sure the chain is oiled and clear out its gullet every so often as you go along or debris can get packed in there and make the chain pop off which I discovered early on using it especially when dealing with stuff that is surrounded by small twig strands.

It’s that clasping hooked shaped jaw that makes all the difference when cutting a bunch of stems all at once in clasped bunches. Keeps the saw from kickin around and it keeps the cluster of stems in its jaw in place for being cut. Like I said, it looks like a cheesy homeowner tool, but it works remarkably well for what its intended use is.

The Veritas honing guide.

For about a year I have been free hand sharpening my blades in my planes. Today I re-established the angles on them with the guide and they cut nicer now.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

The Veritas honing guide.

For about a year I have been free hand sharpening my blades in my planes. Today I re-established the angles on them with the guide and they cut nicer now.

I really like honing guides. They make it so easy to maintain bevel angles. setup is quick and takes the guesswork out of keeping scary sharp edges on your plane blades and chisels.

Doobie
    Pro

My new impact anti-vibration gloves were my TOTD. I think so far they are money well spent.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That I can’t attest to. Never dealt with bamboo clearing. Isn’t bamboo really stringy?

Yes super stringy and super hard to get rid of. Cutting it and it will only come back.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 1,005 total)

The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day) V3’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 0.728 seconds