dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day) V3

This topic contains 408 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 5 hours, 25 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 409 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here’s the new thread, I hope you all can share all the tools that are making your work easier, simpler, or just more enjoyable. Or something that is the workhorse of that particular day.

Whatever it is, share pictures so we can all benefit from learning more ways to use the tools we all need, love, or should put on that never ending “to get” list!

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

My new (old) Stanley 5 1/2 is just a joy to use. For a 100+ year old tool to take the finest shavings and leave a mirror finish is a real testament to the craftsmen who made these tools. Not surprising that Veritas and Lie-Nielson use these as models for their products.

And one more nomination for TOTD; the Glide. Here it is trimming to length and square a 2 1/2 x 14 lamination of hard maple. No tearout, no blade marks, no burning, just a straight, clean cut. I can’t see the saw cutting much larger than this LOL.

Attachments:

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My new (old) Stanley 5 1/2 is just a joy to use. For a 100+ year old tool to take the finest shavings and leave a mirror finish is a real testament to the craftsmen who made these tools. Not surprising that Veritas and Lie-Nielson use these as models for their products.

And one more nomination for TOTD; the Glide. Here it is trimming to length and square a 2 1/2 x 14 lamination of hard maple. No tearout, no blade marks, no burning, just a straight, clean cut. I can’t see the saw cutting much larger than this LOL.

Someday I hope to get into hand tools like that. I have to figure out sharpening everything though, and it’s really kept me out of it. But I can see why that tool gives you so much satisfaction. Same with the glide – I have one too and it is an awesome tool.

My TOTD today was my gravity rise stand for my tablesaw. It is wonderful being able to wheel the tablesaw in and out of the shop so easily! I cut a bunch of plywood outside today, something I’d normally just do inside and deal with the dust. And rearranging is so much easier with it on the stand now too!

Charlie

Instagram

Drill and driver again. We found a big horizontal blind at the ReStore for $15. It’s about 6′ wide and the slats are heavy plastic with a texture. Not the greatest looking and they didn’t have mounting hardware. I just drilled some holes in the channel and put a dowel in there so the channel wouldn’t collapse and screwed them to the uprights on the deck. Makes a great privacy/sun screen for cheap.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Drill and driver again. We found a big horizontal blind at the ReStore for $15. It’s about 6′ wide and the slats are heavy plastic with a texture. Not the greatest looking and they didn’t have mounting hardware. I just drilled some holes in the channel and put a dowel in there so the channel wouldn’t collapse and screwed them to the uprights on the deck. Makes a great privacy/sun screen for cheap.

That sounds like a great solution and idea, and the price is definitely right

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

My TOTD was the old corded Makita drill. I needed to drill 1/2″ holes for 6″ long bolts to assemble the new outfeed table. I got the holes started on the drill press but they needed to be extended into end grain of hard maple. I have a cheap long brad point drill that takes a lot of pushing and the only thing that will take that kind of beating is the old drill. Can’t remember the last time I used it but glad it was there.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

TOTD was definitely my new Bosch 14 gallon extractor. I’m a fan. Although I’m still not crazy about needing to disable its auto-clean function every time I don’t want it on. Bit of a pain in that regard.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

The old Rockwell planer was the TOTD yesterday. So easy to mill hardwood with that machine. It’s big and heavy but I wouldn’t go back to a lunchbox planer again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Someday I hope to get into hand tools like that. I have to figure out sharpening everything though, and it’s really kept me out of it

Same here Charlie I really want learn some hand tools and sharpening also. I keep grabbing hand tools when I see them for a good price.

is a real testament to the craftsmen who made these tools.

It is so true too Peter.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Tool of the day were the Super Wicked Awesome Cabinet Jacks.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The old Rockwell planer was the TOTD yesterday. So easy to mill hardwood with that machine. It’s big and heavy but I wouldn’t go back to a lunchbox planer again.

Those old big heavy tools if you have them are great. Can’t really beat them. Buying them new is expensive and used most of the time they need extensive repair.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Today it was the genie lift. I needed to remove some obsolete fire system components that were up 24’ and my tallest ladder wasn’t quite up to the task.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Today it was the genie lift. I needed to remove some obsolete fire system components that were up 24’ and my tallest ladder wasn’t quite up to the task.

I sure it was much easier to do this off the genie lift then a ladder.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The TOTD was my new PLS 180 greenie,, man I love this new laser.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Glad that laser is working out for you. Were you using it to install those cabinets?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Glad that laser is working out for you. Were you using it to install those cabinets?

Yes Iwas,,, man you up early….

Dirty

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

TOTD was definitely my new outfeed/assembly table. It performs both functions beautifully. Big improvement!

Attachments:

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

TOTD was definitely my new outfeed/assembly table. It performs both functions beautifully. Big improvement!

Man that’s a nice table,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Nice hear you are happy with your new outfeed/assembly table.

Greg

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

First time I used a feather board while ripping at an angle and it really made a difference for my French cleats! So I’m going to say this old feather board wins TOTD for me today.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 409 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.921 seconds