dcsimg

topic creating a small brick

This topic contains 16 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Seven-Delta-FortyOne 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I work for a retirement home, I would like to create a bird house of the building, which is brick, and ten stories, and the new building is 22 stories, and cement, my question is how would I go about creating the small red brick on the building, any Ideas, mind you these residents take care of the grounds and anything which keeps there mind sharp. I would also like to know how to make a blue print of the structure. trust me , we will be there someday, now any tools you think I can use to create these bricks would be helpful

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

why can’t you just paint the bricks on?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Maybe a wood or log bird house would be easer?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

why can’t you just paint the bricks on?

Painting the bricks on would work. Build it out of cement then go back and paint the bricks.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous

Did you say birdhouse? Talk to our resident professional. Although he doesn’t do brick that I know of but he can help ya on the rest I’m sure, His name is JohnL but I can’t remember his username right now. Maybe someone can chime in and tell ya for me

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Anonymous

Have you checked out any model railroad sites?

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Both Mt. Vernon and Monticello have wood siding but it has carved grooves to make it look like stone. Then they are painted with white paint with sand in it to complete the look. Maybe you could do something along those lines. I personally would go with the premade pvc sheets.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The stick on brick solution sounds really good.

Both Mt. Vernon and Monticello have wood siding but it has carved grooves to make it look like stone.

Never knew this about Mt. Vernon or Monticello.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

That’s some cool stuff..

I was gonna suggest painting them on cement board, but…

--Steve

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

If I get the question right, you want to build a ‘model’ of the home, and outfit it for use as a a bird house. Either a 10 or 22 story birdhouse. I’ve heard of a brick sh__house, but never a birdhouse.
    Some presumptions. It will be exposed to the elements. It will either hang or be suspended. The brick is all red and not the multicolored ‘old brick’ type. There are also windows to contend with.
    What is the projected final size? It makes a difference.
    Idea 1: (Rejected for weight) Coat with a micro-thin layer of dyed cement, use a thread dipped in paint to get horizontal lines, then paint in the vertical lines. A log could be kept of who did what – grandma did the the first two floors, Mom did the next, and I did the next two. Hmmm.
    Idea 2: Take a picture of the structure. Scale it to print the final size of the model (birdhouse). Spray adhesive it onto the model. Spray a couple coats of shellac to seal in the ink, then a couple coats of poly or varnish (matte/flat).
    Idea 3: Find an original brick or one that matches and reduce it to powder. Mix with some epoxy paint that approximates the color. That gives texture and real color. Paint flat white. Pin on (hundreds of ?) threads. Lightly shoot paint and start removing threads to expose the white below.
    @sprokitz link above is good. That’s a bunch of bricks to paint on. You’re still back to weatherproofing.
    I want to know the decision and see pix – in progress and completed.
    If there are any Occupational Therapists on staff there, talk to them. They usually have some good ideas and know the limitations of the residents.

Some please help me pick out the best product among those mentioned on the site.
    https://onlychainsaw.com/best-portable-table-saw/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Some please help me pick out the best product among those mentioned on the site.
    https://onlychainsaw.com/best-portable-table-saw/

absolute best one is:

Thank you for your reply. Can you give me that link please

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I’m sure John could help you. He is the birdhouse master.
    http://www.extremebirdhouse.com
    @cranbrook2

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Thank you for your reply. Can you give me that link please

If you’re looking for information on a new tablesaw, why did you post in a 5 year old thread about birdhouses?

There is an entire section here about nothing but table saws.

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.476 seconds