dcsimg

Tools you no longer own…..but wish you did.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

We have all had favourite tools lost, broken, worn out, stolen, sold or given away, and we have all had regrets over the loss. Some have been purchases, some handed down through friends and family, but they’re gone now and we miss them.

Share your story here of the tools you no longer have but wish you still did.

I had a box full of moulding planes, probably 60 – 70 of them, which I foolishly sold. I could be using them almost daily in my new shop but they are gone forever. Upside is that they are with a young cabinetmaker who, I know, appreciates them as much as I did.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Generator.

Owned one for 20 years, and burned it up about 2 years ago.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Cant think of any I have gotten rid of but a couple I wish I would hav purchased when I had the opportunity. I once found a Stanley 45 molding plane at an auction with a full set of cutters. It went cheap and I have thought about it many times wishing I would have pulled the trigger.

Attachments:
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

the older PC biscuit jointer, i honestly dont know what happened to it

Old PC drywall guns, burned it up and are no longer made

yellaD
    Pro

I had a nice Mitutoyo 12″ dial caliper from my metal shop days that I regret selling. I babied that thing! At least the guy I sold to was REALLY into tools as well, so it’s cool I guess.

redwood
    Pro

Probably lot’s of things from when my tool trailer was stolen, but one thing in particular was a Stihl 2-man auger. Dangerous as heck, but light and powerful. They stopped making them and I had to settle for a much heavier and poorer product, at least until I got the Dingo.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I never give away or sell any of my tools even if it is dead I keep them for future parts . 🙂

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I sold a set of Bosch 12v tools about 4 months ago…now my partner is wanting some. Wish I still had them!

I typically don’t or get rid of much unless I’ve upgraded to a better model, so not many regrets.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I never give away or sell any of my tools even if it is dead I keep them for future parts . :-)

I kept my generator around for a year after it died. The repair place told me that the stator was no longer available. I searched around to no avail. Finall sold it this past summer for $100.

Doobie

I never give away or sell any of my tools even if it is dead I keep them for future parts . :-)

I’m like that too. I even keep an older tool I’ve upgraded from as a back up often.

I have given away tools to friends though. I used to have a real old big giant drill with a non-painted metal housing that I gave to a friend who still uses it on occasion to this day. The only reason I would have liked to have kept it is because it looked so beastly and cool. Can’t just keep something just for that reason over giving to someone who will actually put it to use.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does a snowblower count? I’ve given away two of those dang things and today I really could have used one, Other than that I can’t think of any tools that I gave away. And I know I haven’t sold any.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I had a old PortaCable spade 1/2″ drill that was stoled that was a great drill!

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’ve really been missing my cordless bandsaw that I used to own. It was probably my most used tool. I’m sure I’ll get a new one soon though, most likely the Milwaukee fuel version.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Had an old Beaver Table Saw, was big and took up a lot of room in my garage. wish that one never got away.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Had an old Beaver Table Saw, was big and took up a lot of room in my garage. wish that one never got away.

wow where did you get it, i never heard about this one. So far i’ve kept all the tools i needed and haven’t gotten rid of any till a better one came by.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Cant think of any I have gotten rid of but a couple I wish I would hav purchased when I had the opportunity. I once found a Stanley 45 molding plane at an auction with a full set of cutters. It went cheap and I have thought about it many times wishing I would have pulled the trigger.

Kurt, that would have been a score, for sure, even for resale at a profit.

Probably lot’s of things from when my tool trailer was stolen, but one thing in particular was a Stihl 2-man auger. Dangerous as heck, but light and powerful. They stopped making them and I had to settle for a much heavier and poorer product, at least until I got the Dingo.

There’s a lot of stuff out there that isn’t made any more. Mfg cost, liability or whatever. Nice to find on resale sites, though.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I really miss my Porter Cable 504 belt sander. Probably the best hand held belt sander ever made. Sure wish they still made it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The very first Snap-on tool chest I bought in 1975. Just a little 3 drawer chest that came full of tools (I still have the tools) but it got left behind when I upgraded boxes and then it disappeared (someone stole it) while it was stored at the my gas station.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I had a nice Mitutoyo 12″ dial caliper from my metal shop days that I regret selling. I babied that thing! At least the guy I sold to was REALLY into tools as well, so it’s cool I guess.

I use my 6″ Mitutoyo calipers for both metal working and wood. Even for woodworking, I don’t know how anyone survives without them. It is so helpful to get exact dimensions.

Doobie

I miss an old Bosch 1/3 sheet sander I killed sanding drywall too much with. It was one of the first tools I ever bought and served me well for decades. Wasn’t even blue. Had a green body.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.549 seconds