dcsimg

Tools as Christmas bonuses?

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

A college student needs cash. The books cost a lot of money!!!

Thinking along those lines, if you know what school they attend, why not gift certificates from that school’s bookstore? And maybe even one from the school cafeteria?

I do like your thought on getting a young person a tool(s), and generally shun gift cards, but I think those kinds of gift cards would be exceptionally thoughtful for their situation.

You give them tools, they may just end up on Kijiji.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So they can get CASH

So they can get CASH

I dont know. A lot of people find it inappropriate to sell stuff that is given. If theres a gift receipt, you are telling the recipient that its cool to swap, but putting a gift up for sale could easily be taken the wrong way

Better to avoid the issue and give them cash directly. They get the full amount instead of what they could get on the secondary market, and you gave them a no strings attached gift. Everyone wins

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thinking along those lines, if you know what school they attend, why not gift certificates from that school’s bookstore? And maybe even one from the school cafeteria?

I do like your thought on getting a young person a tool(s), and generally shun gift cards, but I think those kinds of gift cards would be exceptionally thoughtful for their situation.

No school bookstore gift card please, everything in there is insanely overpriced and poor students either buy books off amazon/used or borrow it from library.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No school bookstore gift card please, everything in there is insanely overpriced and poor students either buy books off amazon/used or borrow it from library.

That is exactly right. The students have ways to get books that the grads are done with.

Doobie

That is exactly right. The students have ways to get books that the grads are done with.

Not always. Sometimes they change books they use.

Another reason is for certain courses you really want a fresh one that doesn’t have notes and highlighting that distracts you from your way of learning.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Another reason is for certain courses you really want a fresh one that doesn’t have notes and highlighting that distracts you from your way of learning.

The publisher is getting smart too, they change a few word, swap things around and it’s a new edition every other year so you can’t use old ones. Not uncommon for a text book to be on its 7th or 10th edition, how many other books do you see having that many?

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Better to avoid the issue and give them cash directly. They get the full amount instead of what they could get on the secondary market, and you gave them a no strings attached gift. Everyone wins

True. After sleeping on it, I think cash is the way to go. You’d be welcome to try to explain the value of having a good set of tools to them, but let them make their own choices.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If i was in the same situation, i’d be all about cash and a drill. It’ll start them on their route of having tools in their possession. I mean how many youngsters you see now with tools, i’ve gone over to my buddies place after work to help them out and realize i should’ve brought all my own since they had nothing.

If i was in the same situation, i’d be all about cash and a drill. It’ll start them on their route of having tools in their possession. I mean how many youngsters you see now with tools, i’ve gone over to my buddies place after work to help them out and realize i should’ve brought all my own since they had nothing.

One other thing that is always appreciated years later is something they can use to remind them of their time with you. I barely remember bonuses a decade later but still have ratty old company tshirts that bring up good memories. Not instead of cash, and nothing expensive. Just thoughtful

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

After being with my boss for a year as an apprentice, he gave me cash and a gift card to a tool store for a Christmas bonus. The cash was more than the gift card, but the gift card still got me 2/3 of the way to cordless kit.

My advice is first cash, second would be gift card and cash. I would not buy tools for them unless you know for sure what they want. Whatever the break down, give some cash. Like others have said, you can’t buy college books with a drill, and you can’t take your girl on a nice date with a gift card to Depot

They don’t sell beer, chips, or Ramon noodles, heck even a student has a right to eat

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.220 seconds