dcsimg

toolbelt of choice

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 318 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 319 total)
  • Author

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

hey guys. whats everyones favorite brand of tool belt?

i have 2 currently that i use. one is what i call the “Franken Pouch” which is a mismash of verious pouches and components that i put together and modify based on what im doing. .its mostly Kuny’s/ Clc bags. I wear it for framing, siding, and other general carpentry taks

my other rig is the Occidental Leather Suspenda vest which is a vest that you can clip nail bags onto. i wear it solely for finish work and service work. all your hand tools have a place directly on the vest itself.

when the franken pouch dies ill be upgrading to another Occidental belt. that will more than likely be the adjusta-fit 7 bag framer

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

bbishop
    Pro

Occidental all the way!!!

woodman_412

This is the Kunys toolbelt that I have.

http://www.kunysleather.com/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=2605&id=67

I’ll wear it when I’m doing finish work, framing etc. Any shop work I wear my custom made apron. I like that vest that you have Jeff. Where did you get it?

Dan

danpattison.com

Jeff & Dan – are you able to remove the various pouches off of the belt? If I used a belt, I think I would prefer being able to remove/add pouches as I needed and/or to set them down, swap them out, and just in general move them around….

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

yes john,

the vest has two straps that you can swap the pouches on and off. and my frankenpouch as i call it is a make up of various pouches.. for certain tasks i need a extra pocket for hand tools.. if im siding the sidewall of a dormer i need a smaller set up so its not getting in the way when im sitting on roof jacks

woodman_412

John, yes I can remove the pouches from my belt as well. I never have as I find that I usually use most of the pockets when I’m working.

Jeff, where did you get your vest from?

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol dan, actually i now have two of them. a buddy had one but he never wears it. he called me about 4 hrs ago saying he wanted to get rid of it so i picked it up.

the one i bought however came from http://www.atlas-machinery.com/category/Occidental-Leather-Tool-Belts-Bags-and-Accessories

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I have a set of Dead on Bags. This was not my first choice, however they have held up well, and I cant justify buying a new set until I can cut a hole in them.

woodman_412

How do you find the vest for comfort Jeff?

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its good for finish work and service work as you can wear it alone for holding your tools. however for general carpentry tasks when your climbing around or bending over all the time its not so good. reason being the pouches hang too high and will dump out all the time

Attachments:

kzcarp
    Pro

One more dyed in the wool Oxy user, same set almost twenty years. It seemed like a lot of $$$ to drop on bags at the time, funny though, seems like a good deal now.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

yah thats just it about occi. sure you shell out a huge chunk of change up front but when you realize they last 15-20 years its actually a savings. most other brands last 3-4 years tops and you shell out about $100 for those.. that adds up

For you occi guys… do you prefer all-leather or have some nylon?

John S

kzcarp
    Pro

I have all leather, took a little while to break-in. Weight is not an issue. I have noticed that occi has switched to multiple piece belts. Mine is a single piece, when did that happen? I finally got the stronghold suspenders and that is an improvement over the nylon/elastic ones I had used.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I will have to borrow the term ‘FrankenBelt’.
    I made mine by combining several others.
    But I am still looking for a ‘holster’ that will hold my Bosch impact driver securely, any suggestions?

DaveG.
    Pro

Rob –
    is it the 12v Max impactor?

I use the CLC holster as shown – It only has storage for about 4 bits using elastic, but fits super snug with a strap when not in use, and is open on the bottom for when you have bits in it (or if you are using a smaller drill). No belt clip, but installs directly on your belt. Well constructed, but wish there was more storage for other stuff. — I use another small pouch depending on the purpose of the work being done.

Used to use the CLC bag/tote for the last several years, but found it extremely heavy when using all of the time (fully loaded including 12v Max drill & impactor). Just got the CLC backpack from Amazon about 2 weeks ago. It’s really well constructed, but actually found that I had more storage in the bag/tote, but having hands free to carry other stuff saves a tons of trips to the truck.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

That looks good , Thanks

woodman_412

Rob, I use the Bosch holster that came with my 12V drills anytime I want to keep one at my side. It doesn’t have a strap to keep the drill in but I haven’t found it to be an issue with them falling out. A lot of times I will clip the holster into one of the pouches of my tool belt which works great.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

rob, for a 18v impact kunys makes a impact holster thats sold under both the kunys name and hte dewalt tag .. get the actual kunys one though its about 3 or 4 dollars cheaper as your not paying for a small dewalt logo stitched on to it

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

john s asked me about my toolbelt shopping, any how heres what i bought yesterday, its Tasks signature series belt.. regularly $270 on for $202 at the lumberyard.. i was going to go pick up a set of occidental adjustafits 9550`s at prime fasteners but i hate that place .. i bought the tasks instead which are pretty much the same quality as the occis

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.858 seconds