dcsimg

Tool Tweaking… How have you tweaked your tools?

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Just bumped into this video where he tried removing thinset from the ply subfloor.

The interesting part was he tried a sawzall modification, then an air tool modification before going with the Bosch hammer.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”The worst job ever. How to remove tile thin set from plywood.” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/JerVHGoj-d0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

He tried to do the job with whatever he had in his garage before forking out $300 CAD for a floor scraper.

Well part of it was probably for the video. Can’t imagine he thought to the Fein OMT or the sawzall treak has a real shot at getting it off.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Just bumped into this video where he tried removing thinset from the ply subfloor.

The interesting part was he tried a sawzall modification, then an air tool modification before going with the Bosch hammer.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”The worst job ever. How to remove tile thin set from plywood.” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/JerVHGoj-d0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

He tried to do the job with whatever he had in his garage before forking out $300 CAD for a floor scraper.

Well part of it was probably for the video. Can’t imagine he thought to the Fein OMT or the sawzall treak has a real shot at getting it off.

For sure it was for the video.
    He has a channel where he dismantles and reviews all sort of tools.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

For sure it was for the video.
    He has a channel where he dismantles and reviews all sort of tools.

Yes I have seen his many videos with power tool deconstruction. THis is the first I have seen where he actually tried to use them for something though.

I bet he has that Bosch all along but decided to make a video of using some questionable hacks before he showed the right tool.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have tweaked my daily tools by adding these to the toolbox lol

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Haha yeah I think I have some of the same tweaks
    Guess it comes with age LoL.

Doobie

This one will go into that tool tweaking category.
    Me thinks.
    I needed a pad to push the wood on the jointer and I made this one out of a drywall sanding block – the one were you attach the sand paper – and a piece of metal that I had around. Probably from a miter saw.
    I only have to pay attention not to push wood thinner than 3/8″.
    Have a look

@sorpa, have you ever considered that if that back end does grab the blades just as you’re finishing passing a piece thru that your holder goes flying out your hands at lightning speed and you can very easily end up with your bare hand plunging towards the spinning blade?

This brings up another issue with some of the content in this thread that I’ve only just gone thru for the first time just now for which I must be doing something about it as a mod.

As on many forums, they won’t allow content that shows what could be dangerous activities. Undoubtedly, there’s a liability issue for a forum owner. Defeating guards and doing mods to tools that can defeat safety measures or create them is a bit of a concern on an open public forum especially if it is sponsored by an actual tool company. I just finished deleting or modifying some of the posts I’ve just read where this is the case.

See item 7b here. While it is under the heading of ‘Video Tip’ it does still apply to images or written text that involves the same.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/new-daily-points-cap-content-posting-guidelines/

Hope this explains why some of the posts have suddenly disappeared or have been edited. Thank you for your understanding.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I too have some of these in my lunch box. Helps to get thru the work day.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

As on many forums, they won’t allow content that shows what could be dangerous activities. Undoubtedly, there’s a liability issue for a forum owner. Defeating guards and doing mods to tools that can defeat safety measures or create them is a bit of a concern on an open public forum especially if it is sponsored by an actual tool company. I just finished deleting or modifying some of the posts I’ve just read where this is the case.

@doobie, while I understand your intention to promote safety on discussions, I can’t help but wonder if this may be a very difficult item to moderate because it depends on the context it was posted which can be extremely subjective.

For example, if “won’t allow content that shows what could be dangerous activities” is truly and uniformly enforced, 90% of the entire Not So Pro Projects forum, 100% of the Hack Hall Of Fame threads, and 50% of the Interesting Things We See would have to go because much of those are showing stuff people do or have done that makes our eyes cringe. We won’t be able to post “look at this guy sitting his extension ladder on the wheel barrow and look at that guy in front of Home Depot laying 12 sheets of plywood over a Honda Civic”. All those are contents showing dangerous activities I would say.

On the other hand, the link you provided to I believe refers to content that they would award ADDITIONAL BONUS POINTS such as reviews. I think those guidelines says if they are to give you additional bonus points for posting reviews, then you should follow these stricter guidelines 1-7 which included the rules you referenced above on not showing dangerous activities. At least to me that’s the intent of that rule 7b. Now I am not saying those are not good guidelines to apply consistent to all content on the site, but if you do then rule #2 alone would have prohibited all woodworking discussions as well as DIY discussions across the entire site yet we have woodworking and DIY subforums here, and rule #7c would have required all posts to have at least three images minimum.

I think to really try to impose that rule on this site consistently would be a lot of work for you and other mods and a lot of content to go, and to impose it selectively would drive everyone crazy. Just my two cents.

Doobie

@doobie, while I understand your intention to promote safety on discussions, I can’t help but wonder if this may be a very difficult item to moderate because it depends on the context it was posted which can be extremely subjective.

Excellent points my good man Sami. Allow me to address those issues you point out as best I can.

The liability issue with posting potentially dangerous mods and tool usage as previously mentioned the reasons of, have slipped thru the cracks at times since Jim left. This in my view is a serious area of concern for Bosch or any forum. We’re talking about people coming after Bosch for irresponsible content that even more concerning is that some innocent individual can view a post and follow such idea in an out of a context manner even though unintended as such and seriously injure themselves for life in some cases. Sorry, but money from a lawsuit doesn’t usually replace what one has lost.

It is a difficult balancing act moderating such as I did tonite, and I’ve been in a moderation role before on another forum, so it’s not like I’m a newbie to it.

I felt that two areas of this thread were of potential concern for safety issues. I nixed them and what I could of follow up posts as best I could. Some posts, I simply edited as parts were non-related to the issue and were still contributory to the thread and even the post by Sopra, I just omitted his photos as the text would not give any real clue of what he actually did, but it still could be said otherwise.

There were a dozen posts affected by this either by deleting or editing, and I will say it was hard to do such. It felt like a slaughter of the conversation, and I don’t like that just as I’m sure others don’t like their posts getting lopped off as well. But having this new hat on my head, I do it in the spirit of helping this forum (and Bosch) keep this forum alive and healthy and free of potential ill perils for members or forum lurkers for their well being.

For example, if “won’t allow content that shows what could be dangerous activities” is truly and uniformly enforced, 90% of the entire Not So Pro Projects forum, 100% of the Hack Hall Of Fame threads, and 50% of the Interesting Things We See would have to go because much of those are showing stuff people do or have done that makes our eyes cringe. We won’t be able to post “look at this guy sitting his extension ladder on the wheel barrow and look at that guy in front of Home Depot laying 12 sheets of plywood over a Honda Civic”. All those are contents showing dangerous activities I would say.

I hadn’t even thought of considering those areas, but quite a good observation on your part to bring them up Sami.

My initial thoughts are that most of those are already labelled as such as dumdum ideas such as in the HHOF thread in that one is saying in the actual post, (never mind it’s thread title,) and as a norm most posts actually state in their initial presentation they are dumbass. These are for the most part goofball ways of doing things and/or their end results. Most are not necessarily dangerous in execution as compared to those posted earlier in this thread.

Without going thru the ‘Interesting Things We See’ thread, I gotta think that most of those are not even tool or practice usage related anyways, but nonetheless, just as I did in this thread, where I see a singular post that says something to the nature of ‘Hey…do this…’ and it is obviously potentially dangerous without any forewarning that it is such as was happening in this thread, it needs to go.

Like I said, this is an area that is like walking a tightrope with what is conceivably a potentially dangerous libelous post and what is not. I’m not about to go thru all the past posts in all sorts of different threads going back since Jim left, but if anybody comes across such posts that you may think are of concern as such, please let me know.

On the other hand, the link you provided to I believe refers to content that they would award ADDITIONAL BONUS POINTS such as reviews. I think those guidelines says if they are to give you additional bonus points for posting reviews, then you should follow these stricter guidelines 1-7 which included the rules you referenced above on not showing dangerous activities. At least to me that’s the intent of that rule 7b. Now I am not saying those are not good guidelines to apply consistent to all content on the site, but if you do then rule #2 alone would have prohibited all woodworking discussions as well as DIY discussions across the entire site yet we have woodworking and DIY subforums here, and rule #7c would have required all posts to have at least three images minimum.

Funny you mention that. Yes, there’s a lot of rules in there that have been either ignored or have truly turned into non-adhered or simply in the case of bonus points, disappeared since Jim left. All I can say is that I’m looking into that and whether they want to make changes with some of that wording on those forum guidance pages. There’s a lot of stuff built-in to the forum that needs updating imo.

But I would think that the issue of such as rules of posting potentially dangerous use of tools or practices with such, that won’t leave the building.

I think to really try to impose that rule on this site consistently would be a lot of work for you and other mods and a lot of content to go, and to impose it selectively would drive everyone crazy. Just my two cents.

I’m somewhat terrified of the work I may be facing. Let’s face it, who’s gonna be the real active mod who is on the forum constantly every day here from here on other than myself.

But here’s the rub. Help me, I’ll help the forum. There’s a lot of things I want to do that can make this forum more functional and enhance it. But it’s baby steps at this juncture guys. I want what has been this whilting flower to bud and blossom again just as I know so many of you want also. I’m lucky, I can have many hours to spend than most for most of the year to take on this task, and I happen to really want to help this forum.

It’s a process. Let’s work it!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

If my tweak is dangerous then the whole topic is dangerous.
    Plus a few others.

Geeze better ask my health and safety department representative before I post anything here 🤔🧐

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.335 seconds