dcsimg

Tool Tweaking… How have you tweaked your tools?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    CB
    Pro

A lot of tool discussion, both on the job and online, is often focused on which brand to buy, which tool does what job the best, etc.

But these discussions and comparisons and reviews and debates are all predicated on the tool as released by the manufacturer.

From time to time, I run across a maverick who has modified any given tool in a unique way, making improvements that the manufacturer did not originally contemplate, or would not inflate the cost of the tool by including.

I thought a thread where folks can talk about their tool tweaks would be interesting and informative… the kind of thing that one sees in the side columns of FHB… individuals modifying their tools to suit their needs.

Perhaps you have tweaked a tool or two and want to talk about it?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t really tweak my tools. I try my best to use a tool it’s designed and intended to be used and don’t go outside of that box.

I have seen some crazy youtube videos where someone modified an angle grinder to be used as a chain saw, or someone took a chainsaw and fitted a 30′ PVC pipe in between so he can cut a 30′ tall tree branch standing directly underneath…pretty amazing but not for me.

I have also seen, I don’t remember where, a cordless sawzall fitted with a “blade” which is basically a blunt male body part, to be used for pleasuring. I assume if the sawzall is orbital with variable control it’s more effective LOL.

The most “tweaking” I have done is like using a chuck adapter on my compact driver so I can drill holes with it, holes that don’t need perfect alignment.

For my personal use , I converted some of my used up older NI-CAD Bosch 18 volt batteries into lipo from 2.4 to 2.8 or 3.0 depending on the availability of the lipo r/c packs I could buy of the internet
    Bought one of those multi universal chargers also
    I only have 1 battery left and the Bosch 18 volt plane ,
    As for the shop , we sometimes would modify sockets or screwdriver bits for specific installations
    And things like that.
    But now with all the health and safety issues , it’s much harder , plenty of time , we have to consult engineering.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

For my personal use , I converted some of my used up older NI-CAD Bosch 18 volt batteries into lipo from 2.4 to 2.8 or 3.0 depending on the availability of the lipo r/c packs I could buy of the internet
    Bought one of those multi universal chargers also
    I only have 1 battery left and the Bosch 18 volt plane ,
    As for the shop , we sometimes would modify sockets or screwdriver bits for specific installations
    And things like that.
    But now with all the health and safety issues , it’s much harder , plenty of time , we have to consult engineering.

What is a ” lipo”?

CB
    Pro

What is a ” lipo”?

Human cottage cheese, usually found on the backs of legs.

Lipo suction sometimes works to reduce it. I hear there is a lot of energy stored in fat. Too bad there isn’t a way to use that energy in a drill. The irony is that those who have the most lipo available to be sucked away, are often the least likely to be drilling any holes.

So maybe, in this one exceptional case, Boschmanbrian is actually referring to the Lithium Polymer chemistry in the battery cells he upgraded to, which is often shorthanded as LiPo.

Not to be confused with Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is shorthanded as LiFePO4.

Not to be confused with or Lithium Ion either, which is shorthanded as LiIon, or sometimes LI.

There are plenty of comparisons of Lithium Polymer vs Lithium Ion vs Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to be found online.

Upgrading and giving new, more effective battery life to any older NiCad tool battery system qualifies as a gold star tool tweak.

What is a ” lipo”?

Human cottage cheese, usually found on the backs of legs.

Lipo suction sometimes works to reduce it. I hear there is a lot of energy stored in fat. Too bad there isn’t a way to use that energy in a drill. The irony is that those who have the most lipo available to be sucked away, are often the least likely to be drilling any holes.

So maybe, in this one exceptional case, Boschmanbrian is actually referring to the Lithium Polymer chemistry in the battery cells he upgraded to, which is often shorthanded as LiPo.

Not to be confused with Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is shorthanded as LiFePO4.

Not to be confused with or Lithium Ion either, which is shorthanded as LiIon, or sometimes LI.

There are plenty of comparisons of Lithium Polymer vs Lithium Ion vs Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to be found online.

Upgrading and giving new, more effective battery life to any older NiCad tool battery system qualifies as a gold star tool tweak.

Yup sorry , I should have been more clear

That’s exactly what I did.

Fortunately I haven’t had the need for liposuction yet , not that theirs anything wrong with that 😐

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Recently, I needed to get a chisel into a very tight space. I also needed about 18″ of length. I was able to use 2 pieces of copper pipe, one inside of the other, and some duct tape to make the chisel handle longer. Only needed this for one use, and it worked like a charm.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Recently, I needed to get a chisel into a very tight space. I also needed about 18″ of length. I was able to use 2 pieces of copper pipe, one inside of the other, and some duct tape to make the chisel handle longer. Only needed this for one use, and it worked like a charm.

You didn’t take any picture of that contraption, right?

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

You didn’t take any picture of that contraption, right?

I think I actually did. I will try to find it later and post it. Pretty simple concept though.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

A miter saw without a guard is one of the most dangerous tools out there. If not the most.

But on the other hand in our shop we are not allowed to use these little xacto knifes any longer
    Just because one of our painters had it in his mouth , bent over to tie his shoes and stabbed himself in the leg 👍🧐🙄

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

But on the other hand in our shop we are not allowed to use these little xacto knifes any longer
    Just because one of our painters had it in his mouth , bent over to tie his shoes and stabbed himself in the leg

Seriously? Well at least he didn’t have it in his mouth, go to the urinals and dropped it in “mid stream” 😂

Just because one of our painters had it in his mouth , bent over to tie his shoes and stabbed himself in the leg

Seriously? Well at least he didn’t have it in his mouth, go to the urinals and dropped it in “mid stream” 😂

Haha yeah that would have been strange , explain that to the nurse LoL

CB
    Pro

I have injured both hands, in separate incidents… with battery operated power tools, and without having modified the tool.

I’ve also modified or temporarily bypassed safeties, without injury.

This anecdotal history suggests that I’ve been more careful and mindful when I’ve temporarily bypassed a safety element.

It also suggests that I’ve been less respectful of the power of battery operated tools, because I’ve never experienced an injury with any plug in corded tool ever.

Finally, it proves that safety awareness is centered at the operator, not the various inventive mechanisms built into tools to make them idiot proof. Clearly, there are still idiots out there, or at least, there are people who from time to time still do idiotic things. I’ve proven that.

Safeties can’t fix that.

And sometimes, safeties really do get in the way of getting the job done.

Yet, the inconvenience of safeties reduces injuries during times of idiocy, and that reduction outweighs (but doesn’t eliminate) the risks.

I have injured both hands, in separate incidents… with battery operated power tools, and without having modified the tool.

I’ve also modified or temporarily bypassed safeties, without injury.

This anecdotal history suggests that I’ve been more careful and mindful when I’ve temporarily bypassed a safety element.

It also suggests that I’ve been less respectful of the power of battery operated tools, because I’ve never experienced an injury with any plug in corded tool ever.

Finally, it proves that safety awareness is centered at the operator, not the various inventive mechanisms built into tools to make them idiot proof. Clearly, there are still idiots out there, or at least, there are people who from time to time still do idiotic things. I’ve proven that.

Safeties can’t fix that.

And sometimes, safeties really do get in the way of getting the job done.

Yet, the inconvenience of safeties reduces injuries during times of idiocy, and that reduction outweighs (but doesn’t eliminate) the risks.

Agreed
    I used to use the table saw in the shop decades ago , we cut aluminum on it for years , way back when no safety was installed ,
    I was always afraid to use the saw , I have seen guys get knocked down and injured from kick back , and some Lost fingers
    I was one of the lucky ones
    Also we had a chop saw set up for off cutting
    I was using it one time , on a roll feeling comfortable , forgot to remove the material stop when i cut the aluminum tube it got jambed or pulled out by the blade coming back up wacked me in the jewels 🤯😩, lucky nothing else happened scared the carp out of me.
    Not one of my finest moments 🥺🥵

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

This one will go into that tool tweaking category.
    Me thinks.
    I needed a pad to push the wood on the jointer and I made this one out of a drywall sanding block – the one were you attach the sand paper – and a piece of metal that I had around. Probably from a miter saw.
    I only have to pay attention not to push wood thinner than 3/8″.
    Have a look

Me thinks.
    I needed a pad to push the wood on the jointer and I made this one out of a drywall sanding block – the one were you attach the sand paper – and a piece of metal that I had around. Probably from a miter saw.
    Have a look

That’s a good idea , you can always make that angle off the back in a thicker plastic or lexan just in case it hits the blades.
    But nice idea I guess that foam padding probably helps

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Me thinks.
    Have a look

That’s a good idea , you can always make that angle off the back in a thicker plastic or lexan just in case it hits the blades.
    But nice idea I guess that foam padding probably helps

For short pieces that one is a must.
    For longer pieces I use mine to push and another ( pink ) one to press on the wood.

Attachments:
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Just bumped into this video where he tried removing thinset from the ply subfloor.

The interesting part was he tried a sawzall modification, then an air tool modification before going with the Bosch hammer.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Just bumped into this video where he tried removing thinset from the ply subfloor.

The interesting part was he tried a sawzall modification, then an air tool modification before going with the Bosch hammer.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”The worst job ever. How to remove tile thin set from plywood.” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/JerVHGoj-d0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

He tried to do the job with whatever he had in his garage before forking out $300 CAD for a floor scraper.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.375 seconds