dcsimg

Tool storage development

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 108 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

What is the future direction of portable tool storage? Will Dewalt continue to expand their lines of their tough system and tstak, or will they branch out with even more options? Will Bosch simply expand their l-boxxes or will they also create a heavier-duty line? Are plastic mold boxes forever to be replaced with these new stacking-friendly, consist-size designs?

Will milwaukee and hitachi and makita and… etc… get with the program as well? Or is this simply a momentary fad?

What direction do you guys think this is going in?

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i think were going to be seeing more and more of this john. the systainers that festool uses have been in place for quite some time over in europe which is where bosch implemented the lboxx’s.. i figure if bosch and dewalt start holding more and more of the market youll see the rest of hte companies to follow suit

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

redwood
    Pro

Makita’s track saw comes in a systainer compatible box.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Interesting Mark – I hadn’t realized it came in a systainer…

and good points Jeff – I forgot Europe (and Festool) has been doing this systainer gig for quite some time… I think that it is good that dewalt created their heavy duty line which, in many ways, beats the tar out of pricey pricey pricey Pelican (although I doubt many construction guys use it). I hope other companies follow suit with heavy duty lines.

I like the similarly constructed 37″ “job boxes” I have seen at HD as a little bit larger of an option for portable tool storage that is far from being one of those super heavy duty metal job boxes.

John S

woodman_412

My Makita track saw didn’t come with a box but I can buy one separately. I really like the idea of the systainers/l-boxxes/tough boxes but I haven’t come to the point of being able to justify switching over yet. At this point my standard cases are working pretty good for me but it would be nice to switch at some point. I think we’ll see more and more tools coming with a case in whichever system and at some point they might be standard.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Interestingly, I seem to see more tools sold in carry bags now, instead of boxes. 5 years ago, I don’t know of any tools that came in bags.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Keep the boxex as an option. I have so nany empties . Each tool has a place in the trailer . The boxes take up to much room. Only thectools that have a lot of accessories or bits stay in boxes

Efficiency is definitely the name of the game, even for small guys… and I think the standardization of storage is a potential means of achieving that… but the costs are somewhat prohibitive, as Dan mentioned… and you also kinda need to commit to a line, kinda like the way you commit to a cordless line

John S

If I recall correctly, somebody here mentioned Milwaukee might have something along the lines of a unified tool storage system in the works? Or am I going crazy? ha

John S

I wish Milwaukee did a long time ago. I have so many of their cases that are sitting in a corner of the basement because I don’t want to throw them away. A unified storage system makes a ton of sense and Bosch’s l-boxes are a great way to go. It would even be better if everyone’s boxes would work with each other.

It really seems like every company is moving this direction. Can you easily buy inserts for the L-Boxxes? I have some other brand tools that would fit and I want something more “durable” than the foam..maybe that is the best choice, though. Some cases are just that — carrying cases and it is a pain to have 10 different styles of case to store your tools.

Orange County, CA

Ebay has some via Europe – and shipping isn’t too bad… But I still think it is TBD if / when Bosch will release the inserts for sale apart from the l-boxxes….

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I like the idea of a system that will stack together however id the tools are sold with their system box, unless you only have one brand of tools, you will end up having multiple system boxes that do not stack together, no better than the various size plastic boxes we have today that we dont use.

Yes — I have a collection of Systainers now and looking at adding some L-Boxxes…if I can keep it to two types then it is manageable. Especially since there are rolling carts for each type.

Orange County, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

There has to be a way to make an adapter?

I have never tried, but personally I think it would be a lot of work. Maybe someone more talented than me can try…I know one guy in Belgium has made wooden Systainers that clip on the plastic Systainers.

Orange County, CA

Do you have a link for that Scot – sounds interesting, but time consuming indeed.

And I would agree – that some sort of adapter would be quite nice… but I doubt it will ever happen, and I am sure it is easier said than done.

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I would love to have the time to try a project like that. But that is the catch in the trades, you have to work to make money and most people are not interested in tool storage

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

If I recall correctly, somebody here mentioned Milwaukee might have something along the lines of a unified tool storage system in the works? Or am I going crazy? ha

John
    I had mentioned in a different thread that milwaukee is looking into storage cases. They are working with a major plastics company to develop stuff. I know a tool designer for milwaukee who gave the back of my work truck a look over to see how i store and carry stuff.
    Currently I have one of the big black husky boxes that the top wont open all the way because of the cap on my truck. They are looking into making one of the bigger boxes on wheels that will have a top that slides back instead of opening up like a chest. Sounds like they are working on some neat things. My buddy won’t give me much more info though.

Ill post some pics of the back of my truck a little later tonight.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Thanks for the insight Jim. I am looking forward to the pics. I am always looking for new ideas. Even with my current system I lost control again and I am back to A place for everything and everything somewhere else.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.360 seconds