dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh!

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

In another post I ordered Makita’s new 12V vacuum. I originally planned on getting the bare tool because I have a bunch of 12V Makita batteries. Just before ordering I noticed that this new tool uses a different (new) 12V battery so I got the kit with charger and battery. If anything will derail the cordless movement it will be the stupidity of the tool companies. Seems like every two years they redesign the battery so it won’t work with older tools. They tell us invest in us we will be with you forever than they change the battery design and we have to start all over again from ground zero. Why invest in Brand X’s 12v system for the long haul when down the road they’ll change the design and make my significant investment in batteries and chargers obsolete? Craftsman 20v tools are on the market right now that use 3 different non-compatible batteries from 3 different manufacturers. Think that isn’t pissing some guy off that buys a Craftsman 20v tool and his Craftsman 20V battery bought last week won’t fit? Then there are the 70 pound tools with a 10 pound battery somebody is calling portable. Not in my book. Also who came up with the idea of an AC adapter that plugs where the battery goes. DUMB. I’ll buy a corded tool thank you. Keep going tool companies keep pissing off your customers until we stop buying.

That is too bad Bill that your 12V battery won’t fit the new vac. Well said. It like people say they want to stay on one battery platform. It is almost impossible to do.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

@theamcguy well first off , congrats on the new purchase ,
    That sucks about the re designed 12 volt platform
    I am kind of surprised why they decided to go that route
    Unfortunately people don’t stick together , and there will always be someone buying

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well said. It like people say they want to stay on one battery platform. It is almost impossible to do.

It is hard to do. Eventually I have to feel the cordless market wil slow down because of it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well said. It like people say they want to stay on one battery platform. It is almost impossible to do.

It is hard to do. Eventually I have to feel the cordless market wil slow down because of it.

It is hard to do. You could be right the cordless might slow down because of it.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You could be right the cordless might slow down because of it.

Guys are going to get tired of buying new batteries all the time because their new tool from the same tool compnay they have used forever changed their battery design. And going forward all of their batteries are obsolete. The most expensive thing are the batteries.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Guys are going to get tired of buying new batteries all the time because their new tool from the same tool compnay they have used forever changed their battery design. And going forward all of their batteries are obsolete. The most expensive thing are the batteries.

I saw last night madman was talking about how the European or German Bosch the green color batteries are not compatible with the blue Bosch
    Either in the 12 volt or 18 volt.

That’s one thing I actually liked what Ryobi has done , keeping the same battery platform from ni-cad to lithium
    I know they are not top notch tools , but they do work , and get the job done , and for a fraction of the cost
    I know some guys still using the original blue drills with the new lithium batteries.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I saw last night madman was talking about how the European or German Bosch the green color batteries are not compatible with the blue Bosch

That’s one thing I actually liked what Ryobi has done , keeping the same battery platform from ni-cad to lithium
    I know they are not top notch tools , but they do work , and get the job done , and for a fraction of the cost
    I know some guys still using the original blue drills with the new lithium batteries.

I’m one of those people – not at home, but at the church I still have an old blue Ryobi drill and recip that still work. And I agree with you guys – battery platforms are such an investment, and companies that don’t respect that will hopefully pay the price. If Bosch came out with new batteries that didn’t fit all the current tools and stopped making the old batteries it would completely screw me over as soon as my old ones stopped working (which is hopefully still a long way off!)

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It’s true, they are the same basic shape but there is a tab that prevents them from being used.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Here is my Tool Rant for today. It might not be hand or power tool. I still feel it is a tool. After a long day yesterday and after getting home I sat down to use my lap top to check out BTP, emails, etc. To find out my internet is not working. This not the first time we have this issue. I was so frustrated with I just went to bed. It also didn’t help I was exhausted too.

I guess you get what you pay for. We really don’t pay alot for it. Tonight it seems to be working fine. When it seems to working find it serves our needs. We deal with a local company. We really don’t get good customer service. When we have contacted them about issues. They give us a excuse about the aging cable lines. We try to give are business to the local guy. Just not sure for how long.

Greg

Doobie

Here is my Tool Rant for today. It might not be hand or power tool. I still feel it is a tool. After a long day yesterday and after getting home I sat down to use my lap top to check out BTP, emails, etc. To find out my internet is not working. This not the first time we have this issue. I was so frustrated with I just went to bed. It also didn’t help I was exhausted too.

I guess you get what you pay for. We really don’t pay alot for it. Tonight it seems to be working fine. When it seems to working find it serves our needs. We deal with a local company. We really don’t get good customer service. When we have contacted them about issues. They give us a excuse about the aging cable lines. We try to give are business to the local guy. Just not sure for how long.

But those third party providers are using the cables of primary suppliers either from the big telco or cable tv supplier in your area, so I’m not sure it would resolve any issues if in fact the ‘cables’ are the real reason, which I actually doubt it is. I suspect that excuse from them is BS.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

But those third party providers are using the cables of primary suppliers either from the big telco or cable tv supplier in your area, so I’m not sure it would resolve any issues if in fact the ‘cables’ are the real reason, which I actually doubt it is. I suspect that excuse from them is BS.

You could be right! I might still try it. I think you are right about there excuse being BS.

Greg

Doobie

I used a clamp on guide rail to do a quick couple of cuts of some old panelling yesterday and quickly got reminded of why I rarely use this thing I bought over 15 years ago or so.

If your stock is not kept perfectly flat along the cut against the bottom of the rail clamp, the plate of the circ saw has a tendency to sneak under the rail in between the rail and the stock. This happened to ke yesterday, but fortunately the fouled cut line wasn’t a critical issue for what I needed the piece for anyways.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I used a clamp on guide rail to do a quick couple of cuts of some old panelling yesterday and quickly got reminded of why I rarely use this thing I bought over 15 years ago or so.

Does this problem happen with thicker ply?

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If your stock is not kept perfectly flat along the cut against the bottom of the rail clamp, the plate of the circ saw has a tendency to sneak under the rail in between the rail and the stock. This happened to ke yesterday, but fortunately the fouled cut line wasn’t a critical issue for what I needed the piece for anyways.

I get people saying you can use one of those clamps instead of a track saw and do not believe there is a difference. they will not believe there is.

Doobie

Yes, if the ply is warped, it is really useless. With the easy pliability of that old paneling, it is more manageable.

I get people saying you can use one of those clamps instead of a track saw and do not believe there is a difference. they will not believe there is.

I’ve been using track saws now for over 10 years and had this edge clamp-on guide for over 15 years and even before I had track saws, I rarely used this thing because of usage issues with it being not that great at staying clamped in place and/or staying flush against your stock. Forget about using it with the male side of a T&G edge. It’s not totally useless, but it is not as usable as one would think it should be either.

Insofar as being just as good or useful as using rails and a track saw, those comments are coming from those who’ve never used track saws or simply can’t afford them and want to feel better about owning one of these instead. It’s well made, in the USA no less, I’ll give it credit for that, but who cares if it doesn’t do the jobs one should hope to get from it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

GTokley wrote:
    Doobie wrote:

Yes, if the ply is warped, it is really useless. With the easy pliability of that old paneling, it is more manageable.

Ok thanks!

A few weeks ago I was looking for my new automatic wire stripper & crimper as I needed them for a job I was doing. I couldn’t remember where I put them. Last night I took a quick look for them and I found them the first place I looked.
    Why is it we can find things when we don’t need them.

Greg

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I was one of those people. The track saw is truly one of those tools where you “don’t know what you don’t know”. It is a simple concept that drastically changes the way I make long straight cuts in sheet goods, pvc trim, etc. Just the fact of being able to break down sheet goods from the pile makes it worth its wight in gold.

Doobie

I was one of those people. The track saw is truly one of those tools where you “don’t know what you don’t know”. It is a simple concept that drastically changes the way I make long straight cuts in sheet goods, pvc trim, etc. Just the fact of being able to break down sheet goods from the pile makes it worth its weight in gold.

I agree. And it’s not like I can’t cut a straight line in sheet goods freehand with a circ saw either. It just makes it easier, and no challenge to do so using a track saw instead. The dust collection on a track saw is something that is a big plus also at times. Less crap for the lungs.

This is not so much a tool rant ( unless you ask my wife) but I had to replace the hinge on the front load clothes washer on the weekend – basically $200 Canadian for the hinge and I had to tap the holes for the 4 screws in the door for it – or use new thread cutting screws – ridiculous. At least I had the tools to repair the tool (washing machine), but I am still outraged at the cost – if I had to pay a repair person I may have opted to buy a new washer based on the cost, crazy wasteful.

Will

This is not so much a tool rant ( unless you ask my wife) but I had to replace the hinge on the front load clothes washer on the weekend – basically $200 Canadian for the hinge and I had to tap the holes for the 4 screws in the door for it – or use new thread cutting screws – ridiculous. At least I had the tools to repair the tool (washing machine), but I am still outraged at the cost – if I had to pay a repair person I may have opted to buy a new washer based on the cost, crazy wasteful.

That’s rediculous , good thing you are handy and know what you are doing
    I can’t believe how cheap things are made these days.

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.756 seconds