dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh!

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Thanks for chiming in Steve @dadgineer. What are your thoughts on whether it is prudent to oil at the end of a day a nailer/tool but not necessarily if it may not be used for an extended period. I’ve heard people say that it could lend to gum up the insides doing such. Myself, I just oil before each use/session for that reason.

@Dadgineer lol no not at all
    Keep it up 👍 always great to hear from you and get feedback
    Especially from a Bosch pro
    I’ve never had to repair overhaul any of my nail guns , with the exception of the jams or air hose fitting replace. But I’ll definitely be more prepared now.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Depending on how much use a nail gun has on it, you can easily give it a tune up.
    Most pneumatic nailers are simple to swap out o-rings and seals. Generally they will sell complete kits for the entire tool.
    Some manufacturers will glob some grease in the tool during assembly. Half or more of the grease usually ends up in some corner wasting space. Clear that crud out.
    You are going to need to re-grease the new o-rings, so make sure your kit comes with some new grease.
    It’s worth checking out the driver blade. Tips of driver blades can become worn uneven. A gentle filing back to a flat surface can help to prevent the driver blade from sliding off the nail and not seating the nail flush.
    The bumper, doughnut looking rubber piece that the piston slams into on the way down, can also wear out. A worn bumper can cause the piston and driver blade to fire deeper into the work piece, which then can lead to premature driver blade wear or failure.
    If you take off the nail magazine, pay close attention to the nail channel as the nails enter into the nose. Small pieces of nail or nail collation can get into the channel and not allow nails into the nose properly.
    Pull back the nail follower and make sure it slides smoothly as it pushes the nails along. Clean out the track the follower rides on so you always get a smooth force on the nails moving forward.
    Unless you are really rough on your tools, a nailer will last forever with just some basic maintenance.

Sorry my power tool nerd flag out, I’ll put it away now….

Love it. Thanks for all the info – does it apply to the smaller finish nailers too, or is it mostly for framing nailers? I only have an 18g brad nailers right now.

Charlie

Instagram

Thanks for chiming in Steve @dadgineer. What are your thoughts on whether it is prudent to oil at the end of a day a nailer/tool but not necessarily if it may not be used for an extended period. I’ve heard people say that it could lend to gum up the insides doing such. Myself, I just oil before each use/session for that reason.

I really don’t think there is a difference if you are a daily user. Add some at the start of the day and use it or add some at the end of the day. I would however, if adding at the end of the day, do a couple dry fires to spread the oil around. Most important, use the proper oil. The o-rings and seals are made to be compatible with oil for pneumatic tools. We got a return of a framing nailer that was stuck. The guy used 3 in 1 oil in it and all the o-rings soaked it right up.

If it is going to be a while until you use it again, put a little extra in and blast a few times.

Dadgineer
    Project Leader - Bosch Power Tools North America

@dadgineer lol no not at all
    Keep it up 👍 always great to hear from you and get feedback
    Especially from a Bosch pro
    I’ve never had to repair overhaul any of my nail guns , with the exception of the jams or air hose fitting replace. But I’ll definitely be more prepared now.

Unless you are a heavy user, you probably never will need to do it. But, things happen. The hose fitting has some dirt in it that gets blown into the tool and nicks an o-ring, who knows.

Plus it’s cool to open up and look around. You can basically take most of the tool apart and add new parts and understand how it works. It’s one of those tools that really hasn’t changed much over the years.

Dadgineer

@cmeyer25

Generally yes. However if we are comparing a framer that gets used outside and has changes for dirt and crap getting in the tool verses a finish gun in a shop that gets put back on a clean shelf every night… Well you see my point.

However, if we really want to dig into it, in theory, a finish gun left on a shelf for a while might be more prone to being slow or stuck for the first couple shots. Nailers fire based on the stored air behind the piston. (housing, top cap, handle) and a framer has much more volume of air than a finish gun would. So a occasional sticky finish tool that doesn’t get much use, wouldn’t surprise me. And besides we all do a few test fire in a piece of scrap wood before we start, right? 😉

Dadgineer

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Most important, use the proper oil.

Gun oil is the best. NO car motor oil or WD40!!! The detergent in motor oil will eat up the O- rings.

Doobie

I really don’t think there is a difference if you are a daily user. Add some at the start of the day and use it or add some at the end of the day. I would however, if adding at the end of the day, do a couple dry fires to spread the oil around.

Good idea. Never did that practice, and while it involves taking the tool offline and then back online after applying the oil to do some waste shots, it’s something I will keep in mind as a good tool maintenance practice to try to adapt from here on.

Most important, use the proper oil. The o-rings and seals are made to be compatible with oil for pneumatic tools. We got a return of a framing nailer that was stuck. The guy used 3 in 1 oil in it and all the o-rings soaked it right up.

That’s something I’ve never done. I’ve heard of all sorts of oils that people use they shouldn’t. I can’t understand this as pneumatic oil is not super expensive by any means in my opinion and why people would use some other oil lyin around makes little sense to me other than they just don’t know or are just plain lazy.

Doobie

Most important, use the proper oil.

Gun oil is the best. NO car motor oil or WD40!!! The detergent in motor oil will eat up the O- rings.

How do you know gun oil is best over pneumatic oil?

I know nothing of gun oil. If there any synthetics or detergents in whatever ‘gun oil’ you may be using, I know that is no good in pneumatics having dealt with support at Senco some years ago telling me that such is bad for them in trying to isolate an issue I was having with a gun I own of theirs and these were the first queries I was asked form them at Senco was whether I was using ‘other’ such oils in it.

I really don’t think there is a difference if you are a daily user. Add some at the start of the day and use it or add some at the end of the day. I would however, if adding at the end of the day, do a couple dry fires to spread the oil around. Most important, use the proper oil. The o-rings and seals are made to be compatible with oil for pneumatic tools. We got a return of a framing nailer that was stuck. The guy used 3 in 1 oil in it and all the o-rings soaked it right up.

If it is going to be a while until you use it again, put a little extra in and blast a few times.

Exactly it’s air tool oil it’s especially made for pnuematic tools
    We use it in the shop , I even bought a small bottle for my nailers.

I believe Peter @smallerstick mentioned that a few posts earlier.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We got a return of a framing nailer that was stuck. The guy used 3 in 1 oil in it and all the o-rings soaked it right up.

Interesting info Dadgineer Thank you for popping in with some helpful info.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Have a new yellow 4ah battery, drained it once and now it won’t take a charge !!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Have a new yellow 4ah battery, drained it once and now it won’t take a charge !!

Return it.
    Or it’s too late?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That’s no good – take that s*#% back! lol 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That’s no good – take that s*#% back! lol

Return it.
    Or it’s too late?

Dewalt is making good on it. I think I was more surprised than disappointed when I parked it on the charger

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Return it.
    Or it’s too late?

Dewalt is making good on it. I think I was more surprised than disappointed when I parked it on the charger

I’m glad to hear they’re taking care of it for you.

Every brand makes lemons sometimes, but how they handle it makes a huge difference.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That happens glad to hear they are making good on it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Return it.
    Or it’s too late?

Too bad about that , but nice to hear DeWalt standing behind the product.
    Did you have to contact them directly , or go threw the place you purchased the battery from.

I twisted the steel handle of a “come-a-long” ratchet into a pretzel, I am pretty sure I was under the load level for it, they just do not make them like they used to.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I twisted the steel handle of a “come-a-long” ratchet into a pretzel, I am pretty sure I was under the load level for it, they just do not make them like they used to.

Looks like it’s almost brand new! Design flaw, I’m guessing. Any chance for returning it?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.100 seconds