dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently. Even the guys at HD where I bought it knew not how it unlocks to allow gas to flow. It’s going back!

i’ve seen those fancy ones, i haven’t used it.Just go to canadian tire and buy the old school one where it just pours out.

Oh boy, guess I’m outside the loop on this, I have had mine for so long, haven’t even looked at any new ones, but yeah I could see that spring loaded safety being a pain in the rump

OR @doobie, you can try this one
    http://www.hammacher.com/Product/89820?promo=search&cmp=cel&trigger=ac&query=gas

its a no tilt gas canister.

I’m fine with a plain old normal spigot type. When I bought that one with the weird spigot, I didn’t know it had that weird frustration tamper proof spigot. When I got it home and realized it had that kind of spigot I just assumed it was some kind of newly regulated thing and all gas cans were like that. Once I saw the normal ones were stil available, I just went and bought one of them and returned that first one I bought.

I’ve used this style for the last six or seven years and they seem pretty great – other than they always drop one more drop after I think they’re done.

I thought I took a picture at work, but apparently not so here’s a catalog picture, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But apparently Home Depot doesn’t have a problem selling them as they are constantly in stock

It is all they are allowed to sell. All the new cans sold have to have those new spouts to prevent spillage, it is an EPA thing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

But apparently Home Depot doesn’t have a problem selling them as they are constantly in stock

It is all they are allowed to sell. All the new cans sold have to have those new spouts to prevent spillage, it is an EPA thing.

Didn’t know that. I think I’m gonna go and buy some more of the older style ones that are still on the shelves now as that’s probably coming here to Canada too or simply we will only see those newer styled ones even if it’s not regulated here but simply because that’s the only kind they’ll be making now because of the reg change stateside.

I’ve used this style for the last six or seven years and they seem pretty great – other than they always drop one more drop after I think they’re done.

I thought I took a picture at work, but apparently not so here’s a catalog picture, lol!

Never seen that type before. How does it work? Tilt it over and turn/depress a realease knob of sorts?

@cmeyer25

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Didn’t know that. I think I’m gonna go and buy some more of the older style ones that are still on the shelves now as that’s probably coming here to Canada too or simply we will only see those newer styled ones even if it’s not regulated here but simply because that’s the only kind they’ll be making now because of the reg change stateside.

Never seen that type before. How does it work? Tilt it over and turn/depress a realease knob of sorts?

@cmeyer25

Yeah, you just tilt and push the button. It’s supposed to automatically stop itself too, but I’ve never filled anything bigger than a mower with it, and I think the tanks are too small for that to work without splashing everywhere. But it has the suction relief inside the nozzle so air is coming back into the tank through the center of where the gas is pouring out from. I guess the idea is that, if you have the nozzle inserted below the full line of the tank you’re filling, once the gas obstructs the nozzles there’s no way for air to get back in and so it stops the flow of gas coming out too. But even though I’ve never seen it work that way, the button in super easy to operate and pretty convenient.

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently. Even the guys at HD where I bought it knew not how it unlocks to allow gas to flow. It’s going back!

i’ve seen those fancy ones, i haven’t used it.Just go to canadian tire and buy the old school one where it just pours out.

Oh boy, guess I’m outside the loop on this, I have had mine for so long, haven’t even looked at any new ones, but yeah I could see that spring loaded safety being a pain in the rump

OR @doobie, you can try this one
    http://www.hammacher.com/Product/89820?promo=search&cmp=cel&trigger=ac&query=gas

its a no tilt gas canister.

I’m fine with a plain old normal spigot type. When I bought that one with the weird spigot, I didn’t know it had that weird frustration tamper proof spigot. When I got it home and realized it had that kind of spigot I just assumed it was some kind of newly regulated thing and all gas cans were like that. Once I saw the normal ones were stil available, I just went and bought one of them and returned that first one I bought.

i’ve not seen this version before, wouldn’t mind checking it out. i always hated taking the whole thing apart to put the nozzle back on.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Somehow the pictures I couldn’t find showed up all of a sudden this morning on my phone – weird. But here’s the gas tanks I have been using @r-ice @doobie

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    Doobie

Somehow the pictures I couldn’t find showed up all of a sudden this morning on my phone – weird. But here’s the gas tanks I have been using @r-ice @doobie

Thanks. Much clearer to me now what they are like. I’m gonna see if I can find that style. Sounds stupid, but I hate the hassle of having to rejig and put away the spigot all the time. This type you have is instant gas basically.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

…. and vapor escape. That’s why everything is “sealed off” when you’re not trying to get gas out of them. I lost the cap for the spout on one of my old style cans so I put a taper on a piece of dowel and use that to cork it. LOL I’m sure that’s EPA compliant

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

LOL I’m sure that’s EPA compliant

I don’t think so. The new spouts are such a pain to use.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

These ratcheting devices I’ve had for ages, and I find that so often when I go to reach for them for some application, they just won’t actually work for what I had intended for them most times. Is it just my bad luck with these or does anybody else find them really useful who owns these things. They seemed they would be nice to have and useful when I first bought them 15 years ago, but for me they rarely have been.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That might be handy. Kinda neat. I’ll have to see if the BB stores around here sell it.

Doobie

That might be handy. Kinda neat. I’ll have to see if the BB stores around here sell it.

I don’t get it. Why would you want a tool after someone complains they find them largely useless?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a set of them also and have never used them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They seemed they would be nice to have and useful when I first bought them 15 years ago, but for me they rarely have been.

That’s because you guys are wood workers LOL Granted the design on the wrenches Kevin has is an older design (I have a set like that) but the concept of the ratcheting box end wrench is indispensable in the mechanic trade. GearWrench took the design to a whole other level (compact and strong) and has pretty much owned the market ever since.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

These ratcheting devices I’ve had for ages, and I find that so often when I go to reach for them for some application, they just won’t actually work for what I had intended for them most times. Is it just my bad luck with these or does anybody else find them really useful who owns these things. They seemed they would be nice to have and useful when I first bought them 15 years ago, but for me they rarely have been.

Yeah, I think it depends on the quality, I used to have a cheaper pair, similar for those, I think mine were from C T, but after spending a few more bucks, slightly better, but definitely not made for high torque when they have the offset heads.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

They seemed they would be nice to have and useful when I first bought them 15 years ago, but for me they rarely have been.

That’s because you guys are wood workers LOL Granted the design on the wrenches Kevin has is an older design (I have a set like that) but the concept of the ratcheting box end wrench is indispensable in the mechanic trade. GearWrench took the design to a whole other level (compact and strong) and has pretty much owned the market ever since.

I have a set of Craftsman that are over 35 years old that work great. Have to agree with Bill when wrenching on autos they are great to have around.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

These 2 check valves,, look the same but the price is very different….

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Attachments:
    Doobie

That’s because you guys are wood workers LOL

True, but I still use sockets and wrenches quite often.

Have to agree with Bill when wrenching on autos they are great to have around.

I rarely work on autos myself.

Yeah, I think it depends on the quality, I used to have a cheaper pair, similar for those, I think mine were from C T, but after spending a few more bucks, slightly better, but definitely not made for high torque when they have the offset head

Granted the design on the wrenches Kevin has is an older design

Even if a had the newer design, not so sure they’d they used that often for me.

I can see auto guys using them. I don’t think I’m gonna look to upgrade them to the newer and more robust style any time soon.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have the same ones. I hardly used them I had the wife get them for Christmas about 10 years ago. Plus I really don’t like them.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

today i broke a caulking gun and 2 smaller sds bits.. this evening i picked up replacements along with a new spray foam gun

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.114 seconds