dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh!

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks guys, I’m hoping it stays going now too.

@smallerstick I had that problem with an old craftsman router of mine – no matter how hard I tightened the collet the bits still slowly dropped out of it. It was a little scary actually. Maybe try replacing the collet? The only other thing I can think that would be worn would be the part on the end of the motor shaft the collet wedges into, but if that’s worn I’d imagine it would be a much bigger pain to replace.

Funny thing is this is the first time I have had this happen with the Colt. Why now? What is different? Maybe there is something about the router bit I was using, I don’t know, it’s a mystery.

I agree the collet could be the problem. I’ll try cleaning all the parts completely and give it another try.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@smallerstick I had that problem with an old craftsman router of mine – no matter how hard I tightened the collet the bits still slowly dropped out of it. It was a little scary actually. Maybe try replacing the collet? The only other thing I can think that would be worn would be the part on the end of the motor shaft the collet wedges into, but if that’s worn I’d imagine it would be a much bigger pain to replace.

Funny thing is this is the first time I have had this happen with the Colt. Why now? What is different? Maybe there is something about the router bit I was using, I don’t know, it’s a mystery.

I agree the collet could be the problem. I’ll try cleaning all the parts completely and give it another try.

I guess if there was something that got wedged in the collet that could keep it from being able to compress all the way, so hopefully you’re able to get it all cleaned up and that solves the problem. Otherwise…that is a mystery!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I wonder if maybe calling Bosch might offer some insight. Might be a known problem that occurs over time.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

This may help and after trying it with same bit. Maybe try a different bit too.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d love to see some pictures of the dust chute – I though it was just like the Bosch gts1031 and I’ve never had it clog…

I’ll get some pics thursday.

What are you cutting on it?

Framing lumber.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Not that it makes a difference, but is the wood wet,
    Just curious, even if it’s wet, I know it should not clog,

Yes all our lumber comes from Honolulu wood treating and is PT and wet or it sits outside and gets wet. It’s framing lumber.

Dirty

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

PT and wet or it sits outside and gets wet. It’s framing lumber.

I didn’t do you guys used PT for framing lumber. Sounds like PT lumber. Most times I have got PT lumber it has been wet.

That sucks about your table saw.

Greg

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I ordered replacement plumbing parts off the big A and they just got here a couple days ago – the PVC purple primer and one remote controlled water valve packaged in one of those bubble wrap envelopes. Needless to say, with that little bit of padding the primer exploded all over everything. What a freaking mess.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I ordered replacement plumbing parts off the big A and they just got here a couple days ago – the PVC purple primer and one remote controlled water valve packaged in one of those bubble wrap envelopes. Needless to say, with that little bit of padding the primer exploded all over everything. What a freaking mess.

You gonna return it, or just clean up the mess and move on?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That would tick me off !

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

PT and wet or it sits outside and gets wet. It’s framing lumber.

I didn’t do you guys used PT for framing lumber. Sounds like PT lumber. Most times I have got PT lumber it has been wet.

Yes everything we frame with is treated.

It’s not mine , it’s the companies.

I’d love to see some pictures of the dust chute

Pics below

Dirty

@DirtyWhiteBoy does it only clog when you use the 90 degree pipe, or even when it’s directly shooting straight out? That sucks or blows lol

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy does it only clog when you use the 90 degree pipe, or even when it’s directly shooting straight out? That sucks or blows lol

It seems to be caused by thin bits of wood get down in there and then clog up. It’s not like the baby bosch with the rooster tail that shoots out the dust pipe.

Dirty

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

You gonna return it, or just clean up the mess and move on?

I’m going to contact the seller and see if they’ll resend in better packaging. That purple primer is meant to mess with the structure of plastics, so I have no idea how it might have affected the valve and won’t till I need it. Plus, it looks like I lost a significant amount of the primer, so it seems like they should resend that as well.

@dirtywhiteboy
    , hmm, that’s a bummer. I would think it was caused by the 90* too, maybe those thin bits might be getting caught up there. Any way to try a longer 90* and see if that helps? Maybe a 45* or two with a small straight piece between them?

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would think it was caused by the 90* too,

It’s not a 90 but more like a 45º

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a GPL3 that is killing me. To get it to come on it needs slapped and when I turn it off it just keeps blinking till I take out a battery. I guess I need a new one.

Dirty

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@dirtywhiteboy does it only clog when you use the 90 degree pipe, or even when it’s directly shooting straight out? That sucks or blows lol

It seems to be caused by thin bits of wood get down in there and then clog up. It’s not like the baby bosch with the rooster tail that shoots out the dust pipe.

I read in a reveiw that exact same thing about thin strips or bits clogging up the dust port.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Oh wow that really sucks.

It’s not mine , it’s the companies.

Oh I see!

Greg

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have a GPL3 that is killing me. To get it to come on it needs slapped and when I turn it off it just keeps blinking till I take out a battery. I guess I need a new one.

Those things just aren’t very durable. We have killed three of them in the past few years, and no longer buy them. The Dewalt DW084k has proven the most reliable for us, but it is no longer made so eventually I will have to find something else.

So the baby blue is better for not clogging up?
    I’m thinking of getting one soon,

To bad about the laser Bosch GPL3
    I almost bought one a month ago, it was at a good price, used, maybe that’s why the guy was selling it
    Hope you can get it resolved

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.891 seconds