dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh!

This topic contains 439 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 440 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

We have a Tool of the Day thread, so why not a Tool RANT of the Day?

Basically a place to vent off your experience with a tool that drove you nuts on a given day but more important, potentially alert others to what might otherwise be their perilous journey with a tool they may avoid themselves.

I had a very frustrating experience last night with an old rivet tool that I’ve had for decades, seldom use, but which kept on jamming on me trying to remove those waste stems. I was basically using it to try to avoid going to the store for some small nuts and bolts I didn’t have on hand otherwise, which eventually I had to do as I gave up on the riveting option. Using nuts and bolts would have been preferred anyways.

Bought a new riveter also, but I’m still undecided whether I’ll keep it and my stock of rivets. Right now, I feel like returning it and tossing all those rivets in the garbage, but I’ll think about it first. A riveter does come in handy at times, I just need to chill from last nite’s hair pulling and cussing session still. Put it this way, when I start swearing in French….it’s not good!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

We have a Tool of the Day thread, so why not a Tool RANT of the Day?

Basically a place to vent off your experience with a tool that drove you nuts on a given day but more important, potentially alert others to what might otherwise be their perilous journey with a tool they may avoid themselves.

I had a very frustrating experience last night with an old rivet tool that I’ve had for decades, seldom use, but which kept on jamming on me trying to remove those waste stems. I was basically using it to try to avoid going to the store for some small nuts and bolts I didn’t have on hand otherwise, which eventually I had to do as I gave up on the riveting option. Using nuts and bolts would have been preferred anyways.

Bought a new riveter also, but I’m still undecided whether I’ll keep it and my stock of rivets. Right now, I feel like returning it and tossing all those rivets in the garbage, but I’ll think about it first. A riveter does come in handy at times, I just need to chill from last nite’s hair pulling and cussing session still. Put it this way, when I start swearing in French….it’s not good!

If I didnt have my riveter on vacation, my camper would have stayed behind last week. My camper crank was jammed, so I couldn’t lower the roof for driving. Required me to drill out the old rivets on the gear box and make the fix. New rivets to replace and I was back on schedule quickly.

Don’t need it often, but when I need it, nothing else will do

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i get frustrated when using a impact driver for high torque situations driving lags… the nut driver bit gets jammed int teh chuck becasue the shank deforms you gotta get another lag and drive one in back it out drive in and back out which can free up the bit in the chuck

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

i get frustrated when using a impact driver for high torque situations driving lags… the nut driver bit gets jammed int teh chuck becasue the shank deforms you gotta get another lag and drive one in back it out drive in and back out which can free up the bit in the chuck

@jkirk, I can relate for sure. I just whack the bit on the side of something to free it up myself.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

What a great idea Doobie! Glad you started this post although I don’t have anything to rant about today.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

same here – that’s definitely pretty annoying.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

same here – that’s definitely pretty annoying.

Is there a way to prevent it, that’s what I’d want to know.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently. Even the guys at HD where I bought it knew not how it unlocks to allow gas to flow. It’s going back!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

My constant rant is my table saw.

It’s an ’86 Craftsman contractors saw that I have built into a cart, which is great because it holds all the tools and accessories for the saw. It works well enough, but it has it’s short comings. The main one is that the trunion is mounted to the top. I have got it lined up really well and it cuts nice now…..but…..there is a small dip in the top from it supporting all the weight. Last time I lined it up it moved to the left a bit and now I can’t tilt the blade to 45 because it contacts the insert. To get it to line up with my existing zero clearance inserts I now use a couple of .070 shims on the arbour. The inserts are a pain to make because they have to be done in 2 pieces and even then the top piece has to be shaved down a bit to make it level with the top.

I have often debated on re aligning it more to the right to get everything going correctly (left tilt, which I prefer), but that means disassembling the whole shooting match, cart and all. Which, while I am at it, I would shorten the cart a bit. It’s 6′ wide right now and I love it, until I have to walk around it in the small shop. Also, a new out feed arrangement from my cobbled together thing I have on it now, and make the side table thicker to hold a router……you see where this is going, right? A lot of work messing about to modify something modified and I would still have a saw not worth much and after all that work I would have to align it again, which is a total pain because the mounting system really has no adjustment in it and always wants to pull the blade into one position.

It does a great job cutting in general, and I love the home built fence, and it was my dad’s saw. I don’t often have to put a 45 degree rip on something, but I keep thinking French Cleats for the shop too. I also have a bunch of jigs that work with the saw that I have built. If I bought a new saw, I would likely have to build new jigs (which would be good for making videos though). So either way I go, it is a lot of work.

So yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with my table saw.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently. Even the guys at HD where I bought it knew not how it unlocks to allow gas to flow. It’s going back!

That is crazy that the guys at HD didn’t know gas poured out of the spigot.

My constant rant is my table saw.

It’s an ’86 Craftsman contractors saw that I have built into a cart, which is great because it holds all the tools and accessories for the saw. It works well enough, but it has it’s short comings. The main one is that the trunion is mounted to the top. I have got it lined up really well and it cuts nice now…..but…..there is a small dip in the top from it supporting all the weight. Last time I lined it up it moved to the left a bit and now I can’t tilt the blade to 45 because it contacts the insert. To get it to line up with my existing zero clearance inserts I now use a couple of .070 shims on the arbour. The inserts are a pain to make because they have to be done in 2 pieces and even then the top piece has to be shaved down a bit to make it level with the top.

I have often debated on re aligning it more to the right to get everything going correctly (left tilt, which I prefer), but that means disassembling the whole shooting match, cart and all. Which, while I am at it, I would shorten the cart a bit. It’s 6′ wide right now and I love it, until I have to walk around it in the small shop. Also, a new out feed arrangement from my cobbled together thing I have on it now, and make the side table thicker to hold a router……you see where this is going, right? A lot of work messing about to modify something modified and I would still have a saw not worth much and after all that work I would have to align it again, which is a total pain because the mounting system really has no adjustment in it and always wants to pull the blade into one position.

It does a great job cutting in general, and I love the home built fence, and it was my dad’s saw. I don’t often have to put a 45 degree rip on something, but I keep thinking French Cleats for the shop too. I also have a bunch of jigs that work with the saw that I have built. If I bought a new saw, I would likely have to build new jigs (which would be good for making videos though). So either way I go, it is a lot of work.

So yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with my table saw.

I grew to hate my Mastercraft tablesaw. It has aluminum top with crappy fence. I guess I have had the saw for 13 years. I really didn’t do woodworking. I bought it after I become a homeowner. I thought it would come in handy for ripping a board. But once I took up woodworking I found it hard to rip long boards as the saw would tip. I also found the fence a real pain to stay in position. Also It was hard to make a zero clearance insert. After much complaining my wife & girls bought me a new tablesaw for Father’s Day 3 years. It isn’t a Saw Stop. But I am very happy with my Craftex tablesaw. The crazy thing is I still have this saw.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently

LOL Is that one of those spring loaded spouts ? If so you have to put it in the filler on whatever and have one of those “hooks” rest on the filler neck and push down to release the spring loaded valve.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

my rant isnt about a specific tool,, but those times when you misplace something and dont see it for days.

you go out and buy a replacement and then within 1 hour of using the new tool sure enough the one you lost shows up, it was hiding under the seat of the truck.. or under scraps of lumber or something… did this last week with a cats paw

the other beef is losing something you just bought.. i lost a pack of new bosch jigsaw blades that comes with teh new fancy plastic case

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently

LOL Is that one of those spring loaded spouts ? If so you have to put it in the filler on whatever and have one of those “hooks” rest on the filler neck and push down to release the spring loaded valve.

Ok I have seen those spouts before. But don’t own any of them.

my rant isnt about a specific tool,, but those times when you misplace something and dont see it for days.

you go out and buy a replacement and then within 1 hour of using the new tool sure enough the one you lost shows up, it was hiding under the seat of the truck.. or under scraps of lumber or something… did this last week with a cats paw

the other beef is losing something you just bought.. i lost a pack of new bosch jigsaw blades that comes with teh new fancy plastic case

Yup that’s a good rant.
    Sounds like me most of the time. I never find stuff when I need it.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

while they have to sell the gas cans with the safety spouts, most retailers sell replacement spouts so you can replace the safety spout with something more normal. The safety spouts also break easily.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

LOL Kevin…don’t rant haha. Have you tried youtube yet? you might find an answer there.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

LOL Kevin…don’t rant haha. Have you tried youtube yet? you might find an answer there.

I just gave up. No time for that nanny deviced POS. I don’t have roaming hoards of babies in my neighborhood so I don’t want it.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Lmao @doobie ! I did the same thing. Try holding a 5 gallon can up in the air and line that spring loaded POS up. I took the spout off a old gas can to replace mine.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t figure out how what seems to be another nanny childproof device to allow the gas to pour from this weird spigot on this gas can I bought recently.

Lots of videos on youtube for the fix but they all entail buying a new nozzle. Worst design ever.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Can’t stand those. The plastic hook ALWAYS breaks and then you can’t use the spigot at all.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i’ve seen those fancy ones, i haven’t used it.Just go to canadian tire and buy the old school one where it just pours out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 440 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.045 seconds