dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh! V2

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I say it is the Gremlins! They hide things! ha ha

LOL! That’s a good one. I am starting to believe it.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yeah I happy really wasn’t lost. I never thought I lost. Just knew I put some where I could remember where I put it.

Welcome to my world.

I know it has got worst since I have moved.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have a older electric B & D Leaf Blower/Vac. I was using it yesterday to pick up the leaves leftover from the fall. It has been a real pita to get the collection bag off the blower/vac. I thought I had this issue fixed. But apparently not. I pretty much have to tap the collection bag off the blower/vac each time.

So I used my 1/4 sheet sander and sanded the the tube where the collection bag slides on. Then applied some paste wax to it. Seems this did the trick. It works like a charm. This blower/vac is nice to have. It does a good job mulching the leaves up. It makes much easy putting the leaves into leave bags and saves on the amount of bags you use.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I was using the Bosch OMT to cut wood and it started smoking, not the tool but the blade.

I was probably being too aggressive with it.

I cleaned up the blade let it cool down, the teeth are still fine on the blade. I tried to cut again and immediately it started to smoke again.

What happened, when a blade smoke does something chemically happen the the actual blade to make it smoke even after cleaning and cooling down? Does the actual metal get changed like hardened or tempered?

I was using the Bosch OMT to cut wood and it started smoking, not the tool but the blade.

I cleaned up the blade let it cool down, the teeth are still fine on the blade. I tried to cut again and immediately it started to smoke again.

What happened, when a blade smoke does something chemically happen the the actual blade to make it smoke even after cleaning and cooling down? Does the actual metal get changed like hardened or tempered?

That’s strange , I’ve never heard of that before , I have had some blades that have oil or grease on them for rust protection smoke slightly , but like you said , after I wipe it off , it never happens again 🤷‍♂️ I’d be curious what is happening , is it the wood that’s burning and smoking , or is it really the blade.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

What happened,

The gullets of the blade get full of dust. Yes, it may have ruined the blade, can’t tell for sure.

Slow and easy is the way to go and take the blade out of the kerf it is making so the sawdust clears often. I try to work the blade from side to side so part of the blade comes out of the kerf as I cut.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The gullets of the blade get full of dust.

Good to know JDO, Thank you for the tip.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That’s strange , I’ve never heard of that before , I have had some blades that have oil or grease on them for rust protection smoke slightly , but like you said , after I wipe it off , it never happens again 🤷‍♂️ I’d be curious what is happening , is it the wood that’s burning and smoking , or is it really the blade.

when they get hot enough to smoke, a lot of times that will take the temper out of the blade and the razor edge off of the teeth. You may not see the difference but it will greatly affect the efficacy of the cutting action of the tool, causing it to smoke again.

when they get hot enough to smoke, a lot of times that will take the temper out of the blade and the razor edge off of the teeth. You may not see the difference but it will greatly affect the efficacy of the cutting action of the tool, causing it to smoke again.

That makes sense , thanks for the explanation ,
    Would that generally happen for hardwood , or even softener pine

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yes this true. Plus with blade being so thin it won’t take to long for this to happen.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Would that generally happen for hardwood , or even softener pine

I would say yes. It will happen quicker in hardwood then pine or softwood. Alot would depend on what force is being applied to the blade.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

In my case it was softer wood, white wood I was making a few bird beak notches for half a dozen rafters for a lean to shed. Nothing too intensive but the blade smoked.

Doobie

I had a Fein rep tell me when I bought my first OMT at a woodworking show nearly 20 years ago that the trick to getting blades to last longer is to run them back and forth and not just straight plunge in if it can be avoided. Dissipates heat build-up.

Once a blade blues from overheating, it’s toast man!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

when I bought my first OMT at a woodworking show nearly 20 years ago

I think a Fein OMT was close to $500 back then.
    Lots of money.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think I might have overheated the Bosch 18v rotary hammer I just redeemed.

First time usage, I was using it to chip away some solid concrete for a good half hour, I was wearing thick gloves (due to the vibration) and eventually the tool ran out of juice. I removed the 6.3ah battery and put it on a charger, the charger blinked red because I think the battery was too hot. I removed the gloves and felt the hammer, it was burning hot, too hot to hold without gloves. Black oil was leaking down the chisel bit. I decided to take a break. I wonder if I did any permanent damages.

After the short break I switched to the corded hammer. I don’t remember my corded hammer getting too hot to touch. I seem to be burning stuff up lately especially Bosch stuff LOL.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I seem to be burning stuff up lately especially Bosch stuff LOL.

Wow you have had a run of bad luck for sure. Usually Bosch cordless tools have a thermal overload whereby the tool shuts off before it overheats. If it is damaged just warranty it. The process is really easy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I seem to be burning stuff up lately especially Bosch stuff LOL.

Wow you have had a run of bad luck for sure. Usually Bosch cordless tools have a thermal overload whereby the tool shuts off before it overheats. If it is damaged just warranty it. The process is really easy.

I am going to try it again this weekend to see if it’s really overheated. It was very hot to touch and I smelled something burning (faintly so I am not sure).

The problem with warranty is I haven’t even registered the tool yet. The Provantage program is so messed up online I didn’t even bother. When I log into the Boschtools.com account my registered tools are all messed up. Half my stuff is not even shown on there, and the information on there was wrong. Last month I bought a 6.5″ circular saw from Lowes and tried to register it, when I pressed submit it scrambled the other stuff on there. When I called Bosch they gave me the same explanation, that they are still migrating the accounts and many things are not yet working…but this is getting tiresome because it’s been like that since August of 2019 for me. My latest redemption I didn’t bother to register because it would just further mess up my data.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The Provantage program is so messed up online I didn’t even bother.

I don’t even bother with the ProVantage site as you can register both from the regular site. I know that for some reason only the latest 20 tools show up on your page and most of them are missing the photos. I hear you on the registration of all the tool companies Bosch’s site is really lacking and to still be migrating info since 2019 is not acceptable. This is the kind of work that can even be done remotely and not in an office. I wish they would get it fixed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think I might have overheated the Bosch 18v rotary hammer I just redeemed.

First time usage, I was using it to chip away some solid concrete for a good half hour, I was wearing thick gloves (due to the vibration) and eventually the tool ran out of juice. I removed the 6.3ah battery and put it on a charger, the charger blinked red because I think the battery was too hot. I removed the gloves and felt the hammer, it was burning hot, too hot to hold without gloves. Black oil was leaking down the chisel bit. I decided to take a break. I wonder if I did any permanent damages.

After the short break I switched to the corded hammer. I don’t remember my corded hammer getting too hot to touch. I seem to be burning stuff up lately especially Bosch stuff LOL.

Well good luck with that , hopefully it just overheated , 🤞

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.318 seconds