dcsimg

Tool RANT of the Day….Aaaargh! V2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Here’s the new thread.

Here’s the old one….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/tool-rant-of-the-day-aaaargh/

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Ugh, this Rigid tile saw is kind of a POS…I mean, I kind of figured, but I was hopeful. The fence is just worthless (the back end doesn’t even attach – it’s just free floating) and because the blade is stationary, there’s a lot of friction to overcome and all the ground off pieces of tile from previous cuts just add to it. I’ve cut a few pieces and I’m working with larger tile (12×24) so maybe that’s a big part of the problem. I was just really hoping to not have to drop $400+ For a decent enough tile saw.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

Ugh, this Rigid tile saw is kind of a POS…I mean, I kind of figured, but I was hopeful. The fence is just worthless (the back end doesn’t even attach – it’s just free floating) and because the blade is stationary, there’s a lot of friction to overcome and all the ground off pieces of tile from previous cuts just add to it. I’ve cut a few pieces and I’m working with larger tile (12×24) so maybe that’s a big part of the problem. I was just really hoping to not have to drop $400+ For a decent enough tile saw.

That sucks. I assume you’ll be returning it?

What are you looking at getting instead Charlie? The big 10 in Dewalt wet saw is a proven model.

MKs are great, but pricey, especially for their belt models.

Try maybe contacting different rental places and see if they’ll sell you a used model.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That sucks. I assume you’ll be returning it?

What are you looking at getting instead Charlie? The big 10 in Dewalt wet saw is a proven model.

MKs are great, but pricey, especially for their belt models.

Try maybe contacting different rental places and see if they’ll sell you a used model.

I might try to return it, but I have to finish this job first, so we’ll see if they’ll take it back.

I’ve tried asking rental companies about buying tools off them in the past, but the one I use most doesn’t knock much off the retail price for their used tools, which seems a bit ridiculous to me, but I guess they have to replace the tool then and factor in the amount of money they’d be making off the one they already had that I would have bought off them.

I may just end up renting one of the good ones for the next project. It’s another small bathroom but it’ll be up the wall too, but also only small subway tiles and then a patterned sheet for the floor. So not the same kind of needs for that work. I don’t know. I can make this tool work for me, it’s just a drag since I’ve used good machines in the past.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

On Tuesday I went to start my Sthil gas powered weed eater when I noticed the orange choke lever was broke off. So this morning I went up to the the Farm Supply to see about getting one. They have a small engine shop there and sell Sthil products. It turns out you just can’t buy the lever anymore. You have to buy the air filter housing that the lever goes in. It comes with a new filter too. So a part that I thought was going cost me around $5. It ended up costing me $30. The guy behind the parts counter couldn’t believe that Sthil wasn’t selling the choke lever separate anymore.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

On Tuesday I went to start my Sthil gas powered weed eater when I noticed the orange choke lever was broke off. So this morning I went up to the the Farm Supply to see about getting one. They have a small engine shop there and sell Sthil products. It turns out you just can’t buy the lever anymore. You have to buy the air filter housing that the lever goes in. It comes with a new filter too. So a part that I thought was going cost me around $5. It ended up costing me $30. The guy behind the parts counter couldn’t believe that Sthil wasn’t selling the choke lever separate anymore.

This is the way in todays manufacturing, gone are the days where you can just buy a broken part and not the entire assembly it is part of.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It turns out you just can’t buy the lever anymore.

Common problem, the part is only available as part of an assembly.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for the heads up; I will be careful with mine. Crazy price for a small part; the whole machine new is less than $150.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

This is the way in todays manufacturing, gone are the days where you can just buy a broken part and not the entire assembly it is part of.

Yup gone are the days and people who knew how to repair items , now it’s just replacement parts and people who just replace parts ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Very true!

It turns out you just can’t buy the lever anymore.

Common problem, the part is only available as part of an assembly.

It is really too bad this is happening.

Thanks for the heads up; I will be careful with mine. Crazy price for a small part; the whole machine new is less than $150.

Your welcome Peter. I did find one on Ebay for 1/2 the price. I need one right away. I am selling this weed eater as I no longer need as I have my Battery powered Makita.

Yup gone are the days and people who knew how to repair items , now it’s just replacement parts and people who just replace parts ,

I know! Years ago my grandpa took his chainsaw there to have them look at it as wouldn’t run. It turned out the motor blew up. My grandpa asked how much it would cost to fix it. They told him they don’t rebuild motors as it is cheaper to buy a new one.

Greg

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m replacing a deck for a family this week and I started to layout the new structure and my laser and receiver won’t work! I spent about ten minutes talking to the Bosch tool support but nothing helped. I had the laser in pulse mode, I made sure to stand back at least 17’, both units seem to be working, but for some reason the receiver doesn’t make any sort of indication that it sees the laser!! 🤬

I have the GLL3-80 and LR6 receiver which are supposed to be compatible. But maybe I just got a lemon receiver. Don’t know. But I may just have to go pick up a new kit.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’m replacing a deck for a family this week and I started to layout the new structure and my laser and receiver won’t work! I spent about ten minutes talking to the Bosch tool support but nothing helped. I had the laser in pulse mode, I made sure to stand back at least 17’, both units seem to be working, but for some reason the receiver doesn’t make any sort of indication that it sees the laser!! 🤬

I have the GLL3-80 and LR6 receiver which are supposed to be compatible. But maybe I just got a lemon receiver. Don’t know. But I may just have to go pick up a new kit.

Wow that’s too bad Charlie! You could have got lemon receiver.

Greg

Geeze that’s to bad , is it still under warranty.

Doobie

I’m replacing a deck for a family this week and I started to layout the new structure and my laser and receiver won’t work! I spent about ten minutes talking to the Bosch tool support but nothing helped. I had the laser in pulse mode, I made sure to stand back at least 17’, both units seem to be working, but for some reason the receiver doesn’t make any sort of indication that it sees the laser!!

It shows in your owners manual that you should be able to use it in pulse mode with either the LR6 or LR7 receivers. Something’s not right. Call them again.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m replacing a deck for a family this week and I started to layout the new structure and my laser and receiver won’t work! I spent about ten minutes talking to the Bosch tool support but nothing helped. I had the laser in pulse mode, I made sure to stand back at least 17’, both units seem to be working, but for some reason the receiver doesn’t make any sort of indication that it sees the laser!!

It shows in your owners manual that you should be able to use it in pulse mode with either the LR6 or LR7 receivers. Something’s not right. Call them again.

I know – and I can see the little green light for the pulse mode, so I know it’s on that. I got the receiver off Amazon just a few weeks ago, trying to be ahead of the game for this project, but I didn’t think I needed to test it out…just goes to show I guess.

I’m getting a shipping label sent to me tomorrow, but the nearest repair center that can look into this is apparently in Arkansas so I will probably take about three weeks to get there and back with 3-5 days for the repair. It’s not too big of a deal for the current deck I’m building since it’s only 6×13, but the next one is 8×30 and then 15×15, so I was really counting on it for that one. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to look into renting/ buying a back up.

Any good recommendations for laser levels? Or maybe I should go old school and get a water level, lol. I remember using one of those with my dad as a kid when we set the forms for the foundation on our house. There was a lot of head scratching that day, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Frustrating but it happens some times. Hope you got it worked out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Any good recommendations for laser levels?

I have the 300 Rotary laser kit on the prize list and just love it. But it’s almost HAM in points or real pricey to buy out of pocket.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Any good recommendations for laser levels?

I have the 300 Rotary laser kit on the prize list and just love it. But it’s almost HAM in points or real pricey to buy out of pocket.

That is alot of points. But sounds like it worth it.

Greg

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I know – and I can see the little green light for the pulse mode, so I know it’s on that. I got the receiver off Amazon just a few weeks ago, trying to be ahead of the game for this project, but I didn’t think I needed to test it out…just goes to show I guess.

I’m getting a shipping label sent to me tomorrow, but the nearest repair center that can look into this is apparently in Arkansas so I will probably take about three weeks to get there and back with 3-5 days for the repair. It’s not too big of a deal for the current deck I’m building since it’s only 6×13, but the next one is 8×30 and then 15×15, so I was really counting on it for that one. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to look into renting/ buying a back up.

Any good recommendations for laser levels? Or maybe I should go old school and get a water level, lol. I remember using one of those with my dad as a kid when we set the forms for the foundation on our house. There was a lot of head scratching that day, lol!

I have the GRL400H off the list. It works great.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have the GRL400H off the list. It works great.

You have used that level a lot on various jobs and you have always spoken well about it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.390 seconds