dcsimg

Tool handle overmolding disintegration

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Anyone running into problems with the overmolding on their tools disintegrating?

I have a Bernzomatic blow torch that I have for about 3 years and it’s handle is suddenly sticky, if I grab the tool and release it I will end up with dark rubbery residues on my palm and fingers.

This is really strange. The tool itself still works perfectly but the handle makes it unusable.

I contacted the company to see what they say they said it’s not covered by any warranty and it’s not a “mechanical defect”.

It’s not an expensive tool (it’s $67) and I will just get a new one, BUT I started to wonder if this were to happen to other power tools, imagine your drill, saw, sander, grinder handles start to disintegrate?

I take care of my tools, I clean and wipe them down after use. I wonder what makes a blow torch handle break down like that.

I know there is a common problem with shoes and sneakers using PU (polyurethane) in the sole that tends to disintegrate due to Hydrolysis. I don’t know if this is what happened here.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have had that happen on some tools. I can’t remember the tool right now, but I have seen it. I do not believe I have seen it on power tools however.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I actually have had that happen to a older MasterCraft drill I had , I tried so many different times and ways to get rid of that gunk ,
    I ended up wrapping up the handle with a plastic kinda tape , but eventually just got rid of it
    I even had that issue with a few hand tools /cutter / and pliers
    I don’t know why , could be because of our hands , we use plenty of different glue and epoxy ,

Doobie
    Pro

You could use this specialized tape to re-grip over it. I’ve used it many times and it lasts a long time.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

This tape only grips to itself leaving to residue if you need to remove it one day, would contour just fine around such a handle and offers a nice rubbery non slip grip.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anyone running into problems with the overmolding on their tools disintegrating?

This is an industry wide problem, not related to any one brand of tools. Plastics and rubber eventually decompose. Stickiness, disintegration, bad odors are all signs this is happening and there really is no way to prevent it. If the tool is still under warranty you can send it in for repair.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It’s under “Limited Lifetime Warranty” against defective workmanship and materials.

Except they decided this is not a defect but “normal wear and tear” which I am not sure I agree but I am not going to waste time fighting for a $60 blow torch.

Not sure why, but if a drill breaks after 3 years with a wobbling drill chuck I am more likely to accept it as “wear and tear” then say if it still works good but the handle plastic flaking and cracking.

Of course this assumes I didn’t spill something on it that caused this – which I didn’t.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You could use this specialized tape to re-grip over it. I’ve used it many times and it lasts a long time.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

This tape only grips to itself leaving to residue if you need to remove it one day, would contour just fine around such a handle and offers a nice rubbery non slip grip.

I have some of this I used to repair a fish net pole for my pond. I also have some tennis racket handle tape. Not sure if I want to repair or replace.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have had it happen too. The taping over is a good idea. Hockey tape is my go to tape of choice.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Happened to me when I ” cleaned ” the handle/surface with something that had acetone in it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have had it happen too. The taping over is a good idea. Hockey tape is my go to tape of choice.

Hockey tape would be perfect for that application.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s a great idea , now why didn’t I ever think of that how does it do in the heat /sun

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a great idea , now why didn’t I ever think of that how does it do in the heat /sun

I don’t know, I’ve never used it. I usually use the tape for tennis rackets.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

Obviously you guys don’t have a ‘handle’ on this.

😉

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s a better idea , and probably more readily available to buy from the typical sports store
    Good idea

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have a Bernzomatic blow torch that I have for about 3 years and it’s handle is suddenly sticky, if I grab the tool and release it I will end up with dark rubbery residues on my palm and fingers.

This is really strange. The tool itself still works perfectly but the handle makes it unusable.

I contacted the company to see what they say they said it’s not covered by any warranty and it’s not a “mechanical defect”.

It’s not an expensive tool (it’s $67) and I will just get a new one, BUT I started to wonder if this were to happen to other power tools, imagine your drill, saw, sander, grinder handles start to disintegrate?

I take care of my tools, I clean and wipe them down after use. I wonder what makes a blow torch handle break down like that.

I know there is a common problem with shoes and sneakers using PU (polyurethane) in the sole that tends to disintegrate due to Hydrolysis. I don’t know if this is what happened here.

I remember having this happening too. I can’t remember how I dealt with it.

I believe it should be covered under warranty also. But I believe they can get away with it when it says limited life time warranty.

You may find taping might work for awhile. Then you will still have that problem. Then if buy a new one you have the same problem every 3 years.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That’s a better idea , and probably more readily available to buy from the typical sports store
    Good idea

I use “Camo Form” wrap tape on my bow risers, and have used it on a few tools too. Probably the same as the tennis racket, hockey stick and even the sports wrap tape for ankles. It gives a better grip, adheres to itself, is removeable, washable and reuseable.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sometimes I use the grip tape for 10 speed bikes for the tools.

Dirty

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Good idea

I use “Camo Form” wrap tape on my bow risers, and have used it on a few tools too. Probably the same as the tennis racket, hockey stick and even the sports wrap tape for ankles. It gives a better grip, adheres to itself, is removeable, washable and reuseable.

That’s a good idea I just googled it , I didn’t know it was removable and washable
    I’ll have to check if I can pick up some from a few stores around my area.
    Thanks

Doobie
    Pro

Good idea

That’s a good idea I just googled it , I didn’t know it was removable and washable
    I’ll have to check if I can pick up some from a few stores around my area.
    Thanks

Is this it?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/19202/camo-form-protective-camouflage-wrap

Never heard of Camo tape before.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Is this it?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/19202/camo-form-protective-camouflage-wrap

Never heard of Camo tape before.

Kevin.

Yup, that’s it. Should be able to find it on Amazon too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.560 seconds