dcsimg

Tony's Tools

This topic contains 82 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  woodman_412 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 83 total)
  • Author

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

While I finish sorting some things out so that I can find more time to be here, I felt compelled today to make a small request. I know from time to time, some don’t mind donating a few points for a worthy cause. So I’m asking for a little bit of help. A good friend of mine has been doing some wood projects since he retired from the military. The guy is as good as they come, and would give the shirt off of his back. Here’s a post that he made on FB:

“So for those of you that don’t know our family was robbed last night. All of my power tools were stolen out of my garage while my wife and i watched tv just a few rooms away. Just about $2000.00 dollars worth of tools. My work shop was a dream of mine for all the years I was in the military. When you constantly move from place to place to don’t ever get to set down roots and you NEVER keep a lot of stuff so you don’t go over your allowable weight limit for moves! When I was retired in 2014 I started collecting tools. All of it is gone! All my power tools, bits, dremel carving tools, sanders, drills, impact guns, brad nailers, nail guns, hoses, routers, router bit. even all my extension cords! and the list goes on and on. First let me say that I am so thankful that these punks did not enter my house and put my family in danger. I can replace tools!! (And I didn’t have to shoot anyone). But those that are close to me know that my wood shop is my quiet place. As a soldier who suffers with PTSD my shop is my safe place. Somewhere I can go to quiet my demons and put all my blood sweat and tears into wood and show case my pain in a way that other people can see in an artistic way. I am devastated but I am sooooo thankful!! Tonight I know that i am truly blessed! I will attach pictures in the comments of what I came home to tonight. My beautiful and amazing wife purchased these new tools for me. Not to just replace my lost tools, but to patch my broken soul. She knows what that time in my shop means to me. Its an escape from the pain, the nightmares, and guilt i live with every day. She is the only one who truly know how this affected me! She is my heart and soul. My everything! I ant breath without you, and I am nothing when you are not at my side. I love you and I will never be able to ever let you know what this meant to me. Not for the tools, (Although I love them), but for the love you show me in ways that make my heart sing! I am so blessed to have you and my best friend and my love. I will never ever forget this night. Not for the bad, but for all the goodness and love i know I have in my life! I Love you babe! ” Mutcher than the universe!” Your my everything!”

His wife picked him up a 10″ Ryobi Chop Saw, and a box of Cordless Ryobi tools so that he has something to work with.

Ok, so to the point. I’m going to give him everything I have saved and whatever gets donated. Just trying to help a brother out and I’ll find out from his wife what he still really needs. Thanks everyone.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I am so sorry to hear that about your friend Sven.
    The text he wrote on facebook was really touching.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Seems like it’s always the good one’s that get screwed. From what I understand it was likely taken by some people that only live 5 houses down the street, but because of the circumstances, the cops can’t do anything.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

This sounds like an opportunity for the BTP community to put some piggies together to help out.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have a good friend who has bad PTSD who also finds solace in woodworking (mostly carving) so I can understand how important your friends tools were to him. Hopefully we can help out. @svensshutters, I will contact you shortly.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie
    Pro

I have to ask, did he not have any property insurance?

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I will contact you shortly.

Thank you Chad.

I have to ask, did he not have any property insurance?

They are a typical hard working family with a high deductible, money that they need to put in other places unless a time of catastrophy where the whole house goes up. Some times the right choices are the hardest one’s. That’s why I thought I may be able to help out some through here.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Seems like it’s always the good one’s that get screwed. From what I understand it was likely taken by some people that only live 5 houses down the street, but because of the circumstances, the cops can’t do anything.

Wow thats even worse. Living with those people who robbed you in the same neighborhood and you can’t even prove it.
    He should also think about a video surveillance system in near future.
    couple cameras in his shop and around the house.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That awful Sven…I’ve often thought about what I would do in a situation like that. Hopefully, BTP can get on board and help your friend out.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@svensshutters , that’s a terrible thing to happen to anyone,

PTSD is a terrible thing to live with,
    I’m in if you need something, give me a P M I can certainly donate points,

The little inconvenience in my life is nothing in comparison to which your friend is going through,

Hang in there.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

He should also think about a video surveillance system

I agree. I would love to put one up too, but that won’t happen any time soon. Hopefully before it is too late.

Hopefully, BTP can get on board and help your friend out.

I know there will be a lot of help from here. I have seen some amazing things happen here in the past and glad that I have been a part of it.

I’m in if you need something, give me a P M I can certainly donate points

Thank you Brian, I’ll do that. I’m going to give this a coupel of weeks and we’ll go from there. I talked to him since posting this, and am trying to get a feel for what he could do with.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

This sucks. Man I hate thieves! My buddy just got robbed too. He went through the whole insurance deal and actually got a good compensation for all his tools. After his $1000 deductible of course.

Would it be too much to ask for a list of what was stolen? That way if anybody has some extras or would like to donate a specific tool they can see what is needed.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Would it be too much to ask for a list of what was stolen? That way if anybody has some extras or would like to donate a specific tool they can see what is needed.

I’m waiting on a list of things. Tony is very humble, talked to him for quite some time last night and he put it like this. What is happening here is more than he could ever ask for. Just the thought alone. I called him first yesterday at work as the wife didn’t know what to tell me and wanted me to just give him a call. He cussed me out a little because of the emotions that it generated. Tony said that he doesn’t care, and he would be grateful to get an extension cord as the thieves literally cleaned him out. Even if it was a gift card, he would be happy.

He told me of the experiance that his wife had at Home Depot the other day too. If anyone has allergies, you may want to skip. She went down there clueless tyring to do give Tony some stuff to work with. She started asking some of the service reps there quiestions and two of them guided her around Home Depot. Pushing her cart, and talking to her extensively about tools. Which one’s to buy, which one’s to avoid, etc. Then they mentioned to her about sales, sales coming up in the next week. There were a set of tools that she liked that were suppose to be on sale next week, and the sales rep talked the manager into giving her the sale price now so she didn’t have to wait. Then they started arguing about giving her the employee discount and found another way to give her one that was larger. These two guy’s really went above and beyond. Tony heard the story of his wife’s experaince and broke down in his garage looking at what his wife had just gotten him. The first time that any of his kids have ever seen him break down in tears.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

That is great to hear! Usually I feel Home Cheapo is never any help but that is a good story.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Wow, Sven. Awful. I’ve gotten quite paranoid about this happening to me and have put up some cameras. Losing the stuff is one thing, but the feeling you get when being a victim to this is something that really hits hard. Let me know the plan and how when it’s sorted out. I’m happy to throw my points in the pool.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Make sure you let us know Sven. This is a really good cause and I am sure that all of us here are more than happy to help out a fellow woodworker, especially one who is a vet.

Another example of great this community is @bethepro.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

Definately post a list. I’m sure I have stuff in the shop that can go to a good home. I don’t have many, but eye can have my points as well.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

Eoj
    Pro
    Salida, CO

Hey Sven , would be happy to donate all my points to help out your friend . Am new to BTP , no idea how to donate points . Send me a PM when your ready .

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Usually I feel Home Cheapo is never any help but that is a good story.

I know right. Every once in a while it is possible to find someone passionate about what they do.

I’m happy to throw my points in the pool.

Thank you Matt, it’s greatly appreciated.

Hey Sven , would be happy to donate all my points to help out your friend .

Thank you @Eoi. All that you need to do to donate points is send Jim an email asking him to transfer points to another member. points@bethepro.com

I finally got a list from Tony as well which have the things he still needs to replace.

Ok bro here is the list.
    1.) Craftsmen 10″ bandsaw
    2.) Ryobi jig saw
    3.) Dremel kit with alot of carving, cutting, polishing bits.
    4.) Ridgid osillating edge/belt sander
    5.) Wen 12 amp thickness planer
    6.) Dewalt biscut joiner
    7.) Compressor set with stapler, brad nailer, and finishing nailer and hose.
    8.) Dewalt fixed/plung router combo set.
    9.) 2 rockler router bit sets.
    10.) Kreg k5 pocket hole set.
    11.) Hand held belt sander.
    12.) Mouse sander
    13.) Random orbit sander.
    14.) Ridgid hand held shop vaccume.
    15.) All my extension cords.
    16.)roto zip set with tile cutter and drywall attachments.
    17.) Set of forstner bits
    18.) Flexcut deluxe palm and knife set.
    19.) Ridid battery and charger.
    20.) Dewalt scroll saw.

That is all the stuff I still have to replace. I cant say how much this all means to me! Man I would be happy with just extentiin cords at this point so just dont put anybody out for this ok. I hate to impose on anyone.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m going to let this thread simmer until the middle of the month(ish) and then I’ll get something heading to my buddy. If someone would like to donate something directly, let me know and I’ll get on PM and we’ll work it out there and take some stuff off of the list.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.594 seconds