dcsimg

Today's yard sale finds

This topic contains 421 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Sorpa 10 hours, 34 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 422 total)
  • Author

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Today was a decent day searching for treasures

Picked up a OLD OLD OLD bandsaw for $30

Got a pin spanner and this odd wrench for $2. I think its some kind of firefighter wrench as they had a lot of that kind of stuff. I wanted the spanner.

Also found a Skil belt sander for $6. I already broke the belt so I’ll have to be looking for a new one.

Kelty Yukon Reg. 3200 External frame pack. $3

S.A.E. Fine & course tap & die set, mostly there, Buffalo brand from the box label. Original cost was $89 many years ago. – $3

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Busy day, @dustincoc 🙂
    Is that a four wheel bandsaw? Motor on the hidden side or is it a belt drive from below? Nice deep throat for the overall size of the machine.

I see my questions are answered in your other thread. I’d never heard of a 4 wheel bandsaw but the perspective of the picture above made me think it had to be.

Sounds like a pretty good day at garage sales. How much trouble do you usually have with getting them running again?

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Sounds like a pretty good day at garage sales. How much trouble do you usually have with getting them running again?

Not much trouble at all. This thing has bronze bushings so its pretty simple to replace the bearings and they are readily available at a local store. The belt drive units are especially simple. All that they care about it the belt is turning and they work. A lot of the Amish take small engines and hook them to tablesaws to power them.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

Thanks for sharing these things with us, there is already a yard sale thread started though that things could get added to:

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/more-yard-sale-finds/

guy down the street was selling a ton of nice tools at his garage sale yesterday but nothing I really NEEDED for the prices he was asking.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Not even out looking, I was heading home from Lowes and stumbled upon a sale.

A analog multimeter for $2 and a power tester for $5.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Even if I had no use for them I would’ve bought for that price.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

That 5-sided wrench can be used to open fire hydrants. Most hydrants have a pentagonal bolt to open or close because they’d get tampered with way too often if the traditional six-sided or square head bolts were used. Interesting find.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

nice find frank – I like to go to garage and yard sales too.
    but I didn’t find anything lately.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That 5-sided wrench can be used to open fire hydrants. Most hydrants have a pentagonal bolt to open or close because they’d get tampered with way too often if the traditional six-sided or square head bolts were used. Interesting find.

thats pretty cool, didn’t know they used a special wrench bit. I wonder if it belonged to an old city worker or firefighter.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Good find, Frank. I hit a few while I was out Sat morning but nothing at all!

Some days are like that.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What is the power tester used for?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Bought 2 hammers at garage sale, $2 each.
    One it’s a 4 pound Garand and the other one is some sort of duck bill that I haven’t seen before. ID anyone?

Attachments:

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Yesterday there was a couple yard sales in my neighbourhood .I picked up this 3 cd Sony stereo free , it even works great . I also picked up a good sized fan for 10 bucks and a couple new caulking guns for a buck each .

Bought 2 hammers at garage sale, $2 each.
    One it’s a 4 pound Garand and the other one is some sort of duck bill that I haven’t seen before. ID anyone?

What you have there is a cobblers hammer …

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never have seen one of those before.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never have seen one of those before.

Yeah the curved end is for getting inside the shoe to pound down the leather.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Yeah what will you be using that for, or is it just for your collection,
    Pretty cool find.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@theamcguy,
    Bill, used for testing anything that operates on DC power. It can feed a specified voltage to do testing. Good for bench testing some electronic components of cars.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 422 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.718 seconds