dcsimg

Today … I bought a Bosch – V4

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 441 total)
  • Author

6AH battery is DOA, measures less than 2 volts and chargers won’t even recognize it,

Here’s a little “trick” that may or may not work for that issue, It worked for me on a 5ah dewalt battery with same problem…. zero lights and charger wouldn’t recognize it. “jump” it from a fully charged same voltage battery, + to + and – to -. Just have to make the connection a few times for 3-5 secs, then try to charge it. I don’t know what it does or why it works but I have charged and drained my rescued dewalt battery twice since jumping it without any problem

Thanks for that , I’ll definitely try it hopefully later today , I have a battery that has no light and won’t even charge

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’ll definitely try it hopefully later today , I have a battery that has no light and won’t even charge

Curious to know if it worked for you. I figured I have nothing to lose by trying

I’ll definitely try it hopefully later today , I have a battery that has no light and won’t even charge

Curious to know if it worked for you. I figured I have nothing to lose by trying

Unfortunately I didn’t get the time , but I will try to tonight after work ,
    I’ll just have to remember to look back at this thread for the set up.
    Hopefully I can get it to work 🤞

But I have actually heard that with lithium batteries , if you let them drain to far , they will not be recognized by any charger , and may actually seem dead , just like you mentioned , I remember with my older craftsman nicad battery , I did something similar , but using the charger to boost it back up in the battery , but I believe these newer charges have all sorts of overload protection , and this will not work for the new lithium , but your method definitely makes sense 🤞

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I used the 12V drill and driver to put the doors up. Used the original screws with just a straight slot in the head. The are a pain…lol.

I used the compact 18V recip saw to do some pruning too. The perfect tool for the job! Saved me a lot of arm work!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

But I have actually heard that with lithium batteries , if you let them drain to far , they will not be recognized by any charger , and may actually seem dead , just like you mentioned , I remember with my older craftsman nicad battery , I did something similar , but using the charger to boost it back up in the battery , but I believe these newer charges have all sorts of overload protection , and this will not work for the new lithium , but your method definitely makes sense

I am curious about this as well.

The puzzle to me is how can one let a lithium ion battery drain “too far”? For me a lithium battery does not really show it’s running low, you use it and use it and suddenly the tool won’t run and it needs to be recharged. This is a totally different behavior from the older NiCAD where you actually experience a drop in performance when the tool running a bit slower with less power but it will continue to work for a bit so you can either charge it or push it a bit further. Lithium batteries do not have that weakened last leg, so I assume there is an internal part that shuts it down, the same with charging it does not charge further if you leave it on the charger too long (VS NiCADs you try to remove it from the charger as soon as it’s full to avoid overcharging). Is this not true with lithium ions?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The puzzle to me is how can one let a lithium ion battery drain “too far”?

I read somewhere that when the tool quits there are still a few volts left in the battery. Somewhere just above 3v. If you let that battery sit for a period of time without charging it can drop a bit more. Chargers need to see “if I remember” 2.8v or more or they wont even know a battery is docked. That led me to look for more info and I found a few youtube videos about jump starting “dead” batteries. This is one of them….

It worked to resurrect my battery. I have since killed and recharged it 4 times so far

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Used the original screws with just a straight slot in the head. The are a pain…lol.

You’re right using a power driver on slotted screws is an exercise in futility unless you turn real slow.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I read somewhere that when the tool quits there are still a few volts left in the battery. Somewhere just above 3v. If you let that battery sit for a period of time without charging it can drop a bit more. Chargers need to see “if I remember” 2.8v or more or they wont even know a battery is docked. That led me to look for more info and I found a few youtube videos about jump starting “dead” batteries. This is one of them….

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Jump start dead lithium ion cordless drill battery” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/q9DsL9PziyE?start=3&feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>
    It worked to resurrect my battery. I have since killed and recharged it 4 times so far

Thanks for the video , makes total sense to me , I still never tried that Bosch battery , I’ll have to check it out eventually 🤫

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I used the 12V drill and driver to put the doors up. Used the original screws with just a straight slot in the head. The are a pain…lol.

Who still use slotted screws outside of electricians?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I found a few youtube videos about jump starting “dead” batteries.

That’s the tip of the year right there.

I have heard about this, but never seen how you actually do it. Thanks for the post.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I have heard about this, but never seen how you actually do it. Thanks for the post.

I didn’t make up “jumper cables”, I just used the leads from my meter. Stuck the probes in the dead battery and slid paper clips in the Core to touch the leads to.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Who still use slotted screws outside of electricians?

That’s the question right there. I never buy slotted screws, Phillips or Torx for me.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Jump start dead lithium ion cordless drill battery” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/q9DsL9PziyE?start=3&feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Thanks for the video , makes total sense to me , I still never tried that Bosch battery , I’ll have to check it out eventually 🤫

Well I’m trying it now , it’s actually showing 1 bar on the battery , it never lit up before , and the 6.3 dropped 1 bar , plus the jumper aligator clips are getting pretty warm , I’ll leave it for a while , then try charging both of them

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well I’m trying it now ,

Hopefully it worked out and you saved the battery.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well I’m trying it now ,

Hopefully it worked out and you saved the battery.

Actually didn’t work yet , my cable and aligator clips got pretty hot , funny thing is I didn’t have the time to sit and wait , but today I think I’ll leave it on for a few minutes , I tried putting it on the charger , but I don’t think I left the two batteries hooked up long enough

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Very cool trick.
    Can’t use it because I have no dead battery but it’s good to remember it.

@Sprokitz
    I’m trying it again , yesterday it was only 1 bar , today I’m getting 2 ,
    I’ll leave it for a few minutes while I drink my coffee , then try to put it on the charger 🤞

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Can’t charge with two bars?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@Sprokitz

I’m trying it again , yesterday it was only 1 bar , today I’m getting 2 ,

I’ll leave it for a few minutes while I drink my coffee , then try to put it on the charger 🤞

I hope it works for you. I didn’t leave my jump connected, just touched it for about 3 – 5 secs a few times. My dead battery still showed no bars, but the charger recognised it and it took a full charge. Possible you have a bad cell… then jumping it isn’t going to help.

Can’t charge with two bars?

😰 Seems like it’s not going to work , now nothing is lighting up 🤷‍♂️ oh well , I guess this battery had other electronic issues most likely with the little board on the top of the inside of the battery

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 441 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.418 seconds