dcsimg

Tobacco pipe valet

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 5 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

I wanted a box for my smoking pipes so I came up with this one . I enjoy making boxes compared to other projects I do . This one is made from walnut and some maple burl slices in the top . The box measures 9 3/4″ long x 6 3/4″ wide and 5 5/8″ deep . I made it to fit my little collection , the bottom is where I store tobaccos and pipe cleaning stuff . The tray is for my pipes and lighter/ tamper and such . I used flocking to dress up the inside and french fit everything in the tray , also did a piston fit on the tray . The lid is a simple sliding type . For the finish I used danish oil and topped it with a coat or two of Bri Wax .

Here’s a short video of the tray , it never gets old watching that thing float down . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6MPkjKIg6k

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

One more pic , I like this view . I wrapped the grain around the entire box .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a nice Boxx you made there. What did you finish it with?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

That’s a nice Boxx you made there. What did you finish it with?

Thanks , 2 coats of danish ( natural ) oil and a coat or two of dark BriWax . I like using the dark wax on walnut .

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Very nice (and useful) box JerrySats. That burl top is outstanding.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

That is nice work Jerry. Such a perfect fit watchin that tray float down in it in that video. Very slick!

Is that bedding felt?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Beautiful work, Jerry. Very subtle combination of the walnut and maple burl, they are just outstanding together. Oil and wax makes a perfect finish.

Life does not give participation awards.

...Gary Rogowski

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks good Jerry! I like the lid with all of the miters!

How did you join the sides of the box? Just miters and glue?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That looks great, I love the finish and how the grain shows so well.

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

That is nice work Jerry. Such a perfect fit watchin that tray float down in it in that video. Very slick!

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/v6MPkjKIg6k?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    Is that bedding felt?

Thanks , it doesn’t get old watching it float down . Yes it’s a powdered felt , they call it flocking . You use a color matching glue and blow the flocking on with a tube . Pretty messy job that’s for sure .

Looks good Jerry! I like the lid with all of the miters!

How did you join the sides of the box? Just miters and glue?

Yes just miters and glue , the bottom sits in a dado and I fold it up . Sometimes I’ll do splines but didn’t want that look in this box .

Thanks everyone for the kind words . The oil and wax finish is one of my favorites , it just feels good in hand .

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

it’s a powdered felt , they call it flocking . You use a color matching glue and blow the flocking on with a tube . Pretty messy job that’s for sure .

I thought it might be flocking felt with so many tight contours it makes sense. I’ve never seen it in charcoal color though but I see that LV now carries it in multiple colors now versus the standard green or red. Looks nice.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44669&cat=1,250,43298,43300,44669

Attachments:

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

it’s a powdered felt , they call it flocking . You use a color matching glue and blow the flocking on with a tube . Pretty messy job that’s for sure .

I thought it might be flocking felt with so many tight contours it makes sense. I’ve never seen it in charcoal color though but I see that LV now carries it in multiple colors now versus the standard green or red. Looks nice.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44669&cat=1,250,43298,43300,44669

This is black but your right it comes it so many different colors now . My local woodcraft stores has about 6 different colors but there’s a list of all the choices in the directions and there must be 20 or 30 colors .

Do you use your wooden pipe on the jobsite? Seems like it would get sawdust all up in it among other things.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

One more pic , I like this view . I wrapped the grain around the entire box .

Very nicely done. I also like the way that grain is wrapped around the box.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.487 seconds