dcsimg

To clean or not to clean toilet tank

This topic contains 40 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Not to be too descriptive here, but the only thing you need to worry about with the liter bottle solution is if you really “sink a ship” in there, it can clog a little easier since the commode is made for 1.6gal, but I never noticed it as a big problem when I used them.

I’ve heard of prople doing this just so they don’t have to upgrade to a low flush toilet.

You can also bend the float down a bit to stop the fill at a lower point.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@hojo04 wow, I would try to get it checked out fairly quickly.
    And might not be a bad idea getting another way to filter your drinking water, or even get some sort of water cooler and the replacement bottles.

But I would definitely do as seven delta suggested

Also one thing I noticed, is those two or three bolts holding the tank to the bowl can get pretty rusted out. This makes streaking in the bowl with rust lines.

I would definitely do like some members recommended, check the well, after you get your iron fixed, just replace the toilet.

Good luck looking forward to hearing how you work this out.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

When drinking iron water-
    The good news… You won’t be anemic
    The bad news… you might want to stay away from magnets!

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I’m going to get the water tested soon. There is a company covers Midwest region and a local distributor call Culligan and they offer a free water test. They test for hardness, iron and dissolved solids. They also do water filtration systems, but since I already have a water softer their is obligation to purchase anything and get the free test done. I wondering if the test is worth get done or I need a more thorough test?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I’m going to get the water tested soon. There is a company covers Midwest region and a local distributor call Culligan and they offer a free water test. They test for hardness, iron and dissolved solids. They also do water filtration systems, but since I already have a water softer their is obligation to purchase anything and get the free test done. I wondering if the test is worth get done or I need a more thorough test?

Hardness, Iron, and Turbidity are a basic test.

Here where I live, we have a lab that has a basic well water test package that includes, Turbidity, Iron and Manganese, Acidity, Alkalinity, pH, Hardness as Calcium Carbonate, and Tannin and Lignin. I will sometimes add TDS ( Total Dissolved Solids), Nitrate/Nitrite, and Coliform, if I’m testing an old or unused well. I do my own testing, so I determine what I want tested.

In your situation, it seems that Iron is your primary concern, and what you need to find out is how much is in there, so you can get a system designed for your specific situation, and also to find out where the source of the Iron is. It is possible to have Iron contamination from old water pipes, but not usually to that extent, and rarely if ever, the presence of Iron Bacteria.

Depending on the level of iron in the well, you can then decide on a cleaning procedure, or just filtering. But if the iron content is too high, you could be replacing carbon filters weekly. 😮 In that case, well cleaning would probably be a better option.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Hardness, Iron, and Turbidity are a basic test.

Here where I live, we have a lab that has a basic well water test package that includes, Turbidity, Iron and Manganese, Acidity, Alkalinity, pH, Hardness as Calcium Carbonate, and Tannin and Lignin. I will sometimes add TDS ( Total Dissolved Solids), Nitrate/Nitrite, and Coliform, if I’m testing an old or unused well. I do my own testing, so I determine what I want tested.

In your situation, it seems that Iron is your primary concern, and what you need to find out is how much is in there, so you can get a system designed for your specific situation, and also to find out where the source of the Iron is. It is possible to have Iron contamination from old water pipes, but not usually to that extent, and rarely if ever, the presence of Iron Bacteria.

Depending on the level of iron in the well, you can then decide on a cleaning procedure, or just filtering. But if the iron content is too high, you could be replacing carbon filters weekly. In that case, well cleaning would probably be a better option.

Delta

Thanks for the info. I don’t know how long it’s been like this. Could be months or maybe years. Since it was the original owner of the house who was in their early 90’s who knows. I did find out the water softer was install in 2012 (not sure if that was a new one for first time or they replaced it since the old one went to hell). No service work done to it by the company that installed it. I called them and that’s what they said and told me when (year) they install the softner system.

redwood
    Pro

One other side effect that you will notice is that your water will turn your hair red. As the iron/water is rinsed through your hair it will stick and collect. It will rust on your head. If you try using a different shampoo, while rinsing, it may look like your head is bleeding. (I have a client that this happened to.)

We had that situation many years ago and dang if I can remember the solution. I do know that we never had the well cleaned. We did install multiple inline filters, though I can’t remember if that was related to the orange hair or not. The shower also had a orange tint to it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A lot of times thought the cure also causes problems as it leaves the water “sticky” in order to get all of the solids out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

A dirty tank also clogs up the holes in the bowl and could affect the flush.

I have taken a wire hanger to push out debris through the holes around the underside of the rim and lower jet.

I heard vinegar through the tank filler will also help and vinegar and baking soda has a positive affect. At least with calcium

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Hmm. Maybe I could give that a try.

BMI
    Pro

That looks just like the water in a friends rural property who is supplied by a well. Not much did the trick other than really harsh chemicals.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Yeah I would try to fix the problem before you buy a new toilet. Is it just that toilet or is it all of them?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Yeah I would try to fix the problem before you buy a new toilet. Is it just that toilet or is it all of them?

It’s actually both toilets.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Did you try the vinegar? My plumber tells me there is more acid in a can of Coke. I’m going to try on a family member who is having a problem too.

Hope it works.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Did you try the vinegar? My plumber tells me there is more acid in a can of Coke. I’m going to try on a family member who is having a problem too.

Hope it works.

I have not tried the vinegar yet. I would assume when I flush I would have to shut water off so it don’t refill the tank to clean the inside? Sad that Coke has a lot of acid and yet it don’t eat through the can or our bodies since we consume pop.

rangerboat
    Pro
    Rockford, MI

YES, it can be cleaned! Let’s be clear just well water doesn’t cause this but the heavy iron and minerals in the well water. If you want to clean the bowl, first solve the mineral problem:
    1. Have your water tested!
    2. Get an appropriate Water Conditioner not water softener; a water conditioner can remove the iron causing orange in the toilet.
    3. Lastly, get Iron Out (from your local hardware store).

If you do these things your toilet will be a nice pristine white. How do I know, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I did this. I replaced three toilets in 4 years, until you solve your heavy mineral problem you will have to settle for an orange toilet!

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Hope it works.

I have not tried the vinegar yet. I would assume when I flush I would have to shut water off so it don’t refill the tank to clean the inside? Sad that Coke has a lot of acid and yet it don’t eat through the can or our bodies since we consume pop.

You would dump the Coke or the vinegar into the overflow tube in the tank and let it soak. Cant hurt. Dont turn of water and Dont flush for a while.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Can this be cleaned or pretty much have to buy a new toilet?

It can be cleaned with commercial cleaners. I know in Canada We can get a really good cleaner with 23% Hydrochloric Acid content. I have this stuff and it will clean just about anything.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Cleaners/Bathroom/Bowl/4L-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner/_/N-ntkgcZ1z141re/R-I4521226

Can this be cleaned or pretty much have to buy a new toilet?

It can be cleaned with commercial cleaners. I know in Canada We can get a really good cleaner with 23% Hydrochloric Acid content. I have this stuff and it will clean just about anything.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Cleaners/Bathroom/Bowl/4L-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner/_/N-ntkgcZ1z141re/R-I4521226

Thanks for that link I have the same problem with my water , tub , toilet . It doesn’t take long to make a new tub or toilet look old and gross .

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

YES, it can be cleaned! Let’s be clear just well water doesn’t cause this but the heavy iron and minerals in the well water. If you want to clean the bowl, first solve the mineral problem:
    1. Have your water tested!
    2. Get an appropriate Water Conditioner not water softener; a water conditioner can remove the iron causing orange in the toilet.
    3. Lastly, get Iron Out (from your local hardware store).

If you do these things your toilet will be a nice pristine white. How do I know, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I did this. I replaced three toilets in 4 years, until you solve your heavy mineral problem you will have to settle for an orange toilet!

Thanks @rangerboat. Does a water conditioner also soften the water?

Your the first person I seen on here from Michigan. Good to know there is someone on here from Michigan too.

C4rtoad07
    Pro
    Osawatomie, KS

Hojo04
    The only way I would drink that water would be to boil it first before getting the water tested as mentioned before. Good luck with your problem and keep us up to date on how things pan out.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.022 seconds