dcsimg

To Bag Or Not To Bag

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

With increased engineers opting out of re-pointing via masonry bag and rather by slicks and hawk/trowel, I’m asking….

What do you prefer? Do you see an issue with less compression with the bag? Sometimes it’s too wet… I’m conflicted and would like more info from the members here.

I do find it ok to bag the back and slick the middle/front on occasion and bagging can be much cleaner/faster!

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The Polynesian rock wall builders and stone setters here I always see piping the mud in with the bag then tooling it into place.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Bag for me….its just cleaner and easier to manage while on a ladder.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’d have to day bag for 90% of the time because of how much cleaner and easier it is to handle.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I am not a pro in this field but I did it with a hawk and trowel on our house in germany and its quite time consuming.
    When using the bag method, does the mortar expands a little bit in the grout?
    And after its thumbproof/hard you only trowel it smooth or you still compress it?
    Bagging seems very fast!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

All I’ve seen from masonry contractors was use a trowel and jointing tool to work the motar back in joints after grindering out bad areas . The guys are so fast and clean .

Always willing to learn .

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Interesting, I’ve never even heard of using a bag to squeeze in the mortar, shows how little I know. For the little brick repair I have done, I’ve just used a trowel and pointer. It is tedious, especially for the vertical joints, so I can see how the bag method would be faster.

However, I suspect you would need your mortar to be pretty wet to flow through the bag. I’m not a pro mason, but I usually like my mortar a touch on the dry side so it stays where I put it.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I’ll say bag too even though my dad was only using trowel I see that bag is much cleaner

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

The Polynesian rock wall builders and stone setters here I always see piping the mud in with the bag then tooling it into place.

I think that is key when bagging! Do you mean they manage the mortar with the slicks after bagging or tool the dry joints.

I sometimes do a similar style of bagging the back and slicking in mortar in the front.

Lots of guys I have seen using bags don’t do it properly and don’t get mortar all the way to the back, they just pipe it in and that’s it, leaving gaps and holes.

Interesting, I’ve never even heard of using a bag to squeeze in the mortar, shows how little I know. For the little brick repair I have done, I’ve just used a trowel and pointer. It is tedious, especially for the vertical joints, so I can see how the bag method would be faster.

However, I suspect you would need your mortar to be pretty wet to flow through the bag. I’m not a pro mason, but I usually like my mortar a touch on the dry side so it stays where I put it.

For re-pointing I like a dry mix also. Keeps everything clean.. Just takes practice to get it to stick to your slicks. I will wet the wall and joints also once or twice before pointing so the moisture is not sucked out of the drier mortar by the bricks.

A Working Pro since 2004

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I am not a pro in this field but I did it with a hawk and trowel on our house in germany and its quite time consuming.
    When using the bag method, does the mortar expands a little bit in the grout?
    And after its thumbproof/hard you only trowel it smooth or you still compress it?
    Bagging seems very fast!

It doesn’t expand when piping but they still tool the joints which will compress them if done properly.

@MasterBosch
    I should have maybe called them trowels but generally we call them slicks here. As a reference I’ll post some pics from the web of the jointers (toolers), tuck point trowels (slicks) and a mortar bag.

A Working Pro since 2004

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

For re-pointing I like a dry mix also. Keeps everything clean.. Just takes practice to get it to stick to your slicks. I will wet the wall and joints also once or twice before pointing so the moisture is not sucked out of the drier mortar by the bricks.

I also like the mix on the dry side and wet the wall down first. I also keep a spritz bottle handy so I can spray directly in the joints as I go. I also like to use a 2″ margin trowel rather that a pointing trowel. For me I find the 2″ end perfect to push off of for the vertical joints

staker
    Pro

I have only trowed it in, and maybe in future would like to try the bag. I use non shrinkable grout.

kzcarp
    Pro

I’ve never had good results with a bag. I end up trying to use the same consistentcy mud in the bag as I would off the trowel and it doesn’t work. If I make it wetter I end up with a mess. I kind of enjoy pointing off a trowel, getting that zen thing going.

kevin

BMI
    Pro

I find the bag easier to use.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.277 seconds