dcsimg

To All Members From The Moderators Desk;

This topic contains 64 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  ChadM 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Jummul
    Pro

If it has been opened on purpose, I’d like to take the opportunity to ask why there are still so many useless threads. In my opinion threads about weather or what I have watched today don’t seem very trade related.

Anonymous

Relax, Whether it looks like it or not there IS a method to my madness 🙂

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

In my opinion threads about weather don’t seem very trade related

Well I don’t know what you do but I can’t do my trade if the weather is too bad.. What is it you do???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

The weather affects my job every day . If the weather is bad it is a nightmare on my body . Weather is very important .

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The weather is constantly dictating and prioritizing what projects I can work on and how. It’s actually nice to have a thread to vent about it as I know how frustrating weather can be when you’re trying to get things done and you can’t.

Knowing what movie or what food we all ate, that’s lunchroom babble. Those threads are pure fun and just guys being guys. Nice to learn about bacon weaving, but it don’t change squat how you swing a hammer.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

redwood
    Pro

I’m all for the topics around the job, and that can include movies I’ve watched and food I’ve eaten. We don’t want this site to be too sterile.

I am not in favor of responses that do not add as least a little value to the discussion. You can’t add much value with a 1 or 2 word response. Then again, I’ve seen paragraphs that didn’t add much value.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Guys I need some help…
    I stopped getting updates about two months ago and all requests to ‘management’ are not being answered.
    I post but never get the responses or on going conversations, could someone check this for me, thanks

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’m all for the topics around the job, and that can include movies I’ve watched and food I’ve eaten. We don’t want this site to be too sterile.

I am not in favor of responses that do not add as least a little value to the discussion. You can’t add much value with a 1 or 2 word response. Then again, I’ve seen paragraphs that didn’t add much value.

You’ve taken the words right out of my mouth.

Jummul
    Pro

I agree that weather is important but that doesn’t mean that we have to tell each other what weather it is every day in every place in the world. A topic “dealing with hot or cold weather” with tips on it is a different story.

Same goes for movies. I would to talk to you guys about what movies we’ve seen, what beers we drink, etc. But unless there comes a system into place where there are specific topics that don’t count for your redeemable points, I’m afraid people will just misuse them.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Trust me, this is being addressed and discussed.

Resident Sign Guy

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Gonna be interesting to see how this shakes out. I am not a fan of lengthy posts. I see one of the new rules deals with excessive posts of 25 words or less. I have seen posts of 5 words that were helpful, and informative. I have also seen very long posts that added little or no value to the discussion.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Remember, the key word is “excessive”. Not every post people make will be 25 words or more – Jim and the mods realize that. What we do not want to see is, as has happened in the past, a person getting on and posting 5 word non substantive posts 20 times in a row as fast as they could be posted. Substantive…..can a 5 word post be substantive? Yes, just as it is possible for a 25 word post to be insubstantive. That is why BTP has moderators – we realize that sometimes the meaning of the law is more important than the letter of the law.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Anonymous

hey guys, there were a few other options on the table but believe me you wouldn’t like them. this is just a slight change and it’s really no big deal unless you make it one.

there are plenty of other sites out there to talk food or movies or TV shows or whatever,I’m pretty sure if you joined a sewing circle site and made 15 posts a day about building a house you wouldn’t last very long on that one either…

I will say after I started this thread with my first post you guys did a great job turning the place back around to where it should be.but it didn’t last, hence the reason I had to close a couple threads today.

redwood
    Pro

hey guys, there were a few other options on the table but believe me you wouldn’t like them.

I would love to hear about some of the other options.

For one, if you do not want to give points to certain topics, I’m fine with that. I’ve pretty much settled on this site as my main go to and I don’t want to go to other sites to see what good movies are out there, for instance. Cut off the points for this topic if you like.

You might be treading on dangerous ground by limiting the conversations. I don’t think the original administrators ever meant that to happen. Just cut off the points for those topics.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I didn’t see anything in the Rules that were posted that were anything earth shattering. BTP is growing and with that comes some regulation. We all hope to contribute to others and learn from others, but it can’t be a stale, classroom environment.

I feel good about our ModSquad and don’t think they will be anything but professional.

The points do add another dynamic to this place, but if you compare our topics to other similar sites nothing is too far out of line. I am glad to see some of the off topic threads thin out a bit.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I much prefer the posts that are more relevant to what we do. I greatly appreciate answers to questions I pose and enjoy providing assistance when I can. It is also nice to see the projects that others do, whether they are DIY or as a part of their livelihood. Thats my two cents worth, and that’s about all it is worth,

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I think one of the key elements in it all is the word “Excessive”. Doesn’t mean you can’t outright do some of things outlined, just not excessively.

The Food thread got tossed, but it did have some good stuff in there. The bacon weave and my own cedar plank salmon recipe come to mind as recent things that were actually useful imo.

This got me thinking, would maybe a less useless and self serving for the sake of racking up points food related thread be one for us to share recipes?

No bs of just copying recipes off the internet kinda like that jukebox thread, stuff that instead largely comes from us.

I actually don’t like a lot of recipes I search for using google on the internet. There’s a lot crap on the net. But I have seen others on occasion share a family recipe on even these kinds of forums and more often than not they are gold. The other advantage is you can query the author/chef for questions whereas you cannot do that in general with other googled recipes.

Sure it’s not contractor talk, but if I understand what the concern is, is to not EXCESSIVELY post BS. It doesn’t mean we can’t have a meaningful food thread. I love to cook, and I love to learn from others unique ethnic dishes in particular.

Food for thought! (Pun intended.lol)

Kevin.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think one of the key elements in it all is the word “Excessive”. Doesn’t mean you can’t outright do some of things outlined, just not excessively.

The Food thread got tossed, but it did have some good stuff in there. The bacon weave and my own cedar plank salmon recipe come to mind as recent things that were actually useful imo.

This got me thinking, would maybe a less useless and self serving for the sake of racking up points food related thread be one for us to share recipes?

No bs of just copying recipes off the internet kinda like that jukebox thread, stuff that instead largely comes from us.

I actually don’t like a lot of recipes I search for using google on the internet. There’s a lot crap on the net. But I have seen others on occasion share a family recipe on even these kinds of forums and more often than not they are gold. The other advantage is you can query the author/chef for questions whereas you cannot do that in general with other googled recipes.

Sure it’s not contractor talk, but if I understand what the concern is, is to not EXCESSIVELY post BS. It doesn’t mean we can’t have a meaningful food thread. I love to cook, and I love to learn from others unique ethnic dishes in particular.

Food for thought! (Pun intended.lol)

Good post Doobie. Every contractor forum I ever been on has a food thread and a music thread. This is nothing new or original. With out food and music most of us are nothing.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

With out food and music most of us are nothing.

Don’t forget beer!

Kevin.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

With out food and music most of us are nothing.

Don’t forget beer!

Yes that goes with out a doubt!!!’
    i’ve got a few good ones now I need to drink.
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-official-craft-beermicrobrew-beer-thread-beer-in-general-l/page/6/

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘To All Members From The Moderators Desk;’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 0.663 seconds