dcsimg

Tips on cutting composite boards

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I rarely work with composite boards, and need some advice.

When you cut a composite board to the length you need say using a miter saw, you will end up with fiberglass dust all over the place. Obviously one option is to have excellent dust control, but if you are not at home with your own shop but the installation is at a client’s site you do not have the luxury to set up a perfect environment.

This fiberglass dust is nasty. It gets on your skin it itches like crazy, it gets into your hair, your lungs etc…since my project is an outdoor deck, I will be setting it up outside, yet it’s impractical to be wearing a coverall with safety goggles, face shied etc…in this 100 degree heat and 200 percent humidity.

Any thoughts on how best to mitigate this?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Are you referring to Trex type decking Miamicuse? If so I go about it the same way I do wood. I don’t believe there is any fiberglass in the stuff.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I rarely work with composite boards, and need some advice.

When you cut a composite board to the length you need say using a miter saw, you will end up with fiberglass dust all over the place. Obviously one option is to have excellent dust control, but if you are not at home with your own shop but the installation is at a client’s site you do not have the luxury to set up a perfect environment.

This fiberglass dust is nasty. It gets on your skin it itches like crazy, it gets into your hair, your lungs etc…since my project is an outdoor deck, I will be setting it up outside, yet it’s impractical to be wearing a coverall with safety goggles, face shied etc…in this 100 degree heat and 200 percent humidity.

Any thoughts on how best to mitigate this?

I definitely would use a dust mask , you could get a hook shield for the miter saw , not to expensive , or you might even be able to MacGyver one up yourself , it will at least keep the dust from blowing all over the place ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Are you referring to Trex type decking Miamicuse? If so I go about it the same way I do wood. I don’t believe there is any fiberglass in the stuff.

Ron some composite decks use wood fibers and plastic resins, some use fiberglass reinforcement. For example this one:

https://www.weardeck.com/

“Made of HDPE reinforced with fiberglass, WearDeck boasts the highest live load rating in the industry. Our boards are weatherproof, waterproof, and heat-reflective. Rated for ground contact and underwater installation, WearDeck will be the last deck board you’ll ever need.”

and when you cut them there are fiberglass filaments kicking all over, not unlike rolling your body around fiberglass insulation. I say even worse.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Ron some composite decks use wood fibers and plastic resins, some use fiberglass reinforcement. For example this one:

https://www.weardeck.com/

“Made of <em class=”gdbbx-bbcode-italic”><strong class=”gdbbx-bbcode-bold”>HDPE reinforced with fiberglass, WearDeck boasts the highest live load rating in the industry. Our boards are weatherproof, waterproof, and heat-reflective. Rated for ground contact and underwater installation, WearDeck will be the last deck board you’ll ever need.”

and when you cut them there are fiberglass filaments kicking all over, not unlike rolling your body around fiberglass insulation. I say even worse.

Oh my. I’m glad I have never had the opportunity to install that stuff.

I’m currently finishing up a 1100 sqft Trex covered deck. The stuff makes a big mess, but I don’t itch at the end of the day.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

we cut the first board or two against the house to length then use the track saw to cut the rest at one time. It has very good dust extraction and should help to reduce the air born dust.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I definitely would use a dust mask , you could get a hook shield for the miter saw , not to expensive , or you might even be able to MacGyver one up yourself , it will at least keep the dust from blowing all over the place ,

Hood shield…I don’t have one. I wonder how well they work the miter saw seems to kick up dust on all sides front and back.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

we cut the first board or two against the house to length then use the track saw to cut the rest at one time. It has very good dust extraction and should help to reduce the air born dust.

Ahhh the track saw. I would like one one of these days!

Hood shield…I don’t have one. I wonder how well they work the miter saw seems to kick up dust on all sides front and back.

I know a while ago , my neighbor had a contractor doing unistone around his pool , he had one of these , it makes a huge difference , I don’t remember if he was using anything else for dust collection

I think they have different sizes and models also

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.199 seconds