dcsimg

Tips for working alone

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

I can’t seem to find a thread on this, though it I think I recall us talking some about this. I found a recent one at the FOG and found some decent tips there. Anyone have good tips for working alone?

http://festoolownersgroup.com/home-improvement-other-projects/working-alone-tips-to-maybe-make-your-things-easier/?all

What is the best way to get a sheet of ply onto your sawhorses (insight here may save me from future scars and stitches haha)

John S

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

find someone strong enough to lift a sheet of plywood.

NOTE to self: BUY work gloves and band aids.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I feel like I can accomplish alot more by my self than supervising another person regardless of skill.

Number one tip….NEVER WASTE A TRIP up stairs or to the truck or up a ladder.

Number 2 get some of the brainless things out of the way early so you dont feel like there is still alot to do while fussy with the tougher parts. Why add stress

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

find someone strong enough to lift a sheet of plywood.

NOTE to self: BUY work gloves and band aids.

Lol I am strong enough but it was riddled with nails – I had hammered them all pretty flat, but it was awkward to hold

John S

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I haven’t finished reading that thread but I’m going to saw #1 is to have a good radio… No sense letting the silence drive you crazy…

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I don’t know how much it would it help you since it mainly deals with building but this is a great book for those that work alone:
    http://www.amazon.com/Working-Alone-Tips-Techniques-Building/dp/1561585459

I will second the “no wasted trip”. I stress this with my helper – there is always something that needs put away, thrown away, etc.

Do t be afraid to use tools to help, these make carrying sheet goods easy
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-93-301-14-Inch-Yellow-Handle/dp/B00004UDN8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1404871048&sr=8-12&keywords=Sheet+carry

Plan everything – there is only one of you so that means that you have to unload all the tools and supplies, do all the work, do the clean up, and put all the tools and supplies away. If your plan your work day ahead you can eliminate unnecessary steps and wasted time.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sometimes just learning the right way to carry plywood will help.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I pick up the plywood and set an edge on the saw horses. Then I drop it so it falls mostly on the saw horses. If the plywood and/or the sawhorse are undamaged I continue work. Otherwise I say bad words and start all over.

As far as working alone I alwasy try and keep my cell phone handy in case of accidents and emergencies.

Stay ultra organized. That helps if you are alone or in groups.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Good advice no matter what you are doing.

and that women with the sheet of plywood could lay a woopn’ on some of the men here. Seriously, she’s in pretty good shape. But she is only 5′ nothing so that tells you that anyone can do it.

I also cut a lot of my rough lumber in the parking lot before I load it if I can.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

All good tips so far.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I feel like I can accomplish alot more by my self than supervising another person regardless of skill.

Number 2 get some of the brainless things out of the way early so you dont feel like there is still alot to do while fussy with the tougher parts. Why add stress

Never waste a trip is a good one!

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Keep some 8d brights in your pouch: they are perfect for setting a string, holding up a board end, ect. Pull out nice and easy.

Plus the head fits the hole on the end of your tape nicely for getting an accurate long measure or for doing layout.

Plan your materials so that when you stack them you never have to move them to get to something underneath. Moving the pile sucks anytime, but even more alone.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Plan your materials so that when you stack them you never have to move them to get to something underneath. Moving the pile sucks anytime, but even more alone.

You got that right. If you don’t, what you need is always on the bottom.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Clamps can be your friend.

I work were there is no cel service. I let my wife know were I am and expected time home. So far so good.
    Getting material delivered to a specific site can be well worth the upcharge and your back.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Clamps can be your friend.

I work were there is no cel service. I let my wife know were I am and expected time home. So far so good.
    Getting material delivered to a specific site can be well worth the upcharge and your back.

+1 on clamps. Ratchet straps as well. I use ratchet straps to straighten things all the time.

I get most stuff delivered. My yard barely charges anything for delivery. It’s not worth my time to go to the yard for material unless it’s something small or if I’m already driving by.

Would this help you?
    http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Gripper-44010-Panel-Carrier/dp/B0007TYCA8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404871339&sr=8-3&keywords=gorilla+grip

The gorilla gripper is on my “to buy” list – I like it more than the other options you guys linked to… but I don’t usually deal with sheet goods riddled with nails haha :\ Nor am I moving a ton of sheets super often.

Good tips so far all!

Thanks for the vid – her little leg trick was something I hadn’t thought of.

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BINGO, how many times have I seen piles of materials and what was needed first was at the bottom. What a pain.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/KIiTiM858Og?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Nice little video she carryed it well . Teaching someone how to carry something helps them not hurt themselves .

Keep some 8d brights in your pouch: they are perfect for setting a string, holding up a board end, ect. Pull out nice and easy.

Plus the head fits the hole on the end of your tape nicely for getting an accurate long measure or for doing layout.

Very true on the stageing materials . Done once the first time .

Always willing to learn .

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

My tip for working alone is always have your cell phone handy. If you get into deep at least you have an out. I won’t get on a ladder without my phone. Sure it won’t save you from being hurt but makes a world of difference if your laying on your broken back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds