dcsimg

Tips for efficiency with caulking and painting

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

When it comes to caulking I’ve found that a GOOD gun, and a tiny cut on the tip. keep wiping your finger and keep it wet.

You could also tape off around what you want to caulk with painters tape. If you tend to spend a lot of time trying to make your bead of caulk pretty after the fact, this might work better since you just mask it off, caulk, wipe, and peel the tape off taking all the left over caulk with it and leaving a perfect bead.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Different materials lay differently. You can push or pull most silicones or latex but polyurethane sealant that’s cold…. Forget it. Your pulling.

Really I try to keep the gun moving perpendicular to the bead moving as I go in a way so the tip pressures the bead……I guess that’s pushing it 😀

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Really I try to keep the gun moving perpendicular to the bead moving as I go in a way so the tip pressures the bead……I guess that’s pushing it

A good way to get it into the crevices before tooling.

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have always used acetone.

You use acetone to tool the silicone or to clean it up? I’m sure it would dissolve the silicone while it’s still wet…

Acetone to tool it. Works just like using water with latex caulk.

Acetone is horrible for you liver.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How many of you guys double tape seams that need to be caulked .

On trim beads of silicone I always do. Like for this glass door.

Yeah those jobs need to be on point with your beads .

Yes ,, it’s done once and done right so when you peel that tape off you have a perfect finished line.

Dirty

Doobie

You use acetone to tool the silicone or to clean it up? I’m sure it would dissolve the silicone while it’s still wet…

First beer, now acetone….What can I indulge in? 🙁

Doobie

First beer, now acetone….What can I indulge in? 🙁

😉

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

First beer, now acetone….What can I indulge in? :(

😉

VI think if you drank a pint of acatone you be all fu#*Ed up!!!

Dirty

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

First beer, now acetone….What can I indulge in? :(

😉

VI think if you drank a pint of acatone you be all fu#*Ed up!!!

I’d say your right on this one.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Clev08
    Pro

A while back I caulked a house in two days, there were some long runs along some base and large windows. My finger tips would get really hot from the friction of the textured wall. I have always preferred to use my fingers because I feel like I have the best control, but after that I had 5 blistered fingers. Does anyone have a tool they use to tool caulk or do I just have to wait till I’m callused up?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

They sell a rubber tool that skims the caulk, sold at the box stores in the paint section. Personally I think they just smear a build up down the line.

@dirtywhiteboy
    I will tape both sides once in a blue moon but I never remember to tape a wider width than the bead I intend to lay. So I end up with a thick edges when I peel the tape not a nice feathered one. Hate that because then I pull out the finger and the bead becomes wider getting it feathered.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

For me, caulking is similar to skimming with joint compound. If you haven’t done it in a while, it will take a little while to get the feel for it again. Most of our caulking jobs are exterior, so the finish is not always as visible as it is indoors.

Mark8
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

When I’m doing a caulking job, I like to have a small bowl of dish soap and water next to me. I just dip my finger and use that. Make sure you don’t cut your hole too big in your caulking tube.

Cheers,
    Mark

Doobie

Anybody here use powered/battery caulk guns? Don’t laugh. Once you get used to it you can get a real nice smooth line and also when you’ve got to ooze a handful of big tubes of something like PL you don’t kill your hands doing it.

Wow! You guys are surprising me. None of you guys use powered caulking guns?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Anybody here use powered/battery caulk guns? Don’t laugh. Once you get used to it you can get a real nice smooth line and also when you’ve got to ooze a handful of big tubes of something like PL you don’t kill your hands doing it.

Never really had the need for one. Would have to be doing a hole bunch more caulking than I do to need one.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Clev08
    Pro

Never really had the need for one. Would have to be doing a hole bunch more caulking than I do to need one.

I’m in the same boat, I don’t caulk very much and I could get different tools that would serve my needs better with the money.

For me, caulking is similar to skimming with joint compound. If you haven’t done it in a while, it will take a little while to get the feel for it again. Most of our caulking jobs are exterior, so the finish is not always as visible as it is indoors.

What’s the go to brand of caulk you using on Exterior jobs .

Always willing to learn .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Never felt the need to go that route. I have two styles of manual ones and either one does the job. Just depends on which one I find first in my basement workroom.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

KenW
    Pro

You could also tape off around what you want to caulk with painters tape. If you tend to spend a lot of time trying to make your bead of caulk pretty after the fact, this might work better since you just mask it off, caulk, wipe, and peel the tape off taking all the left over caulk with it and leaving a perfect bead.

I’ve resealed a few fish tanks and have found taping off to make a nice looking seal. Only issue I’ve had is the tape lifting the silicone off the glass if not done right.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve resealed a few fish tanks and have found taping off to make a nice looking seal. Only issue I’ve had is the tape lifting the silicone off the glass if not done right.

You need to lift the tape right after you finish caulking it. You also need to tool the caulk so it’s thin at the tape line as to not leave a edge.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.548 seconds