dcsimg

Tips for efficiency with caulking and painting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

Hi guys, I’m looking for some tips on getting better quality finishes in less time. I do a lot of built-ins and furniture and finishing them out always takes much longer than it seems it should.

Filling the nail holes with putty goes quickly, but caulking takes awhile and creates a mess, even with a drip less gun, wiping up often with the blue paper shop towels, and cleaning my hands often as I haven’t found anything better than a finger for smoothing fillets.

Using a trim roller for painting has sped up the time I spend painting the inside of cabinets and shelves, I’m not sure if the masking and cleanup of using a sprayer would be worthwhile.

Thanks for any input.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I dont spray personally. It just takes time unfortunately. One thing I have gotten into the habit of doing with trim and certain things is to put a coat on before I install it. Then I can just caulk, putty and top coat with faster results.

Sorry thats all I got

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

When caulking I keep a damp rag to keep my finger wet and clean. It also helps to keep the caulking from making a mess.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

One thing is to make sure the tip is cut small . Plus don’t use cheap guns for caulking .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

When caulking I keep a damp rag to keep my finger wet and clean. It also helps to keep the caulking from making a mess.

Definitely. A wet finger keeps the caulking from sticking. Depending upon the the type of caulk, I’ll sometimes use soapy water. Caulking is an art form. It takes a while to get moderately proficient at it without making a heck of a mess.

Have you considered finishing the pieces prior to assembly? No inside corners to slow you down..

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

One thing is to make sure the tip is cut small . Plus don’t use cheap guns for caulking .

Ahhhhhhh, make the tip small. Dont ya just love how most of the guns have a short poker not long enough to stab the cartridge with a small hole at the nozzle.

Then your scurrying around for a piece of stick or romex. lol

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Ahhhhhhh, make the tip small. Dont ya just love how most of the guns have a short poker not long enough to stab the cartridge with a small hole at the nozzle.

Or that the guns poker it to fat and makes me the hole larger than you wanted.

Ron

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I have considered doing finishes before assembly on furniture, with built-ins I often build them on site, so painting as I go isn’t an option. My major hesitation is that I glue most of my pieces together, and I just don’t trust the glue sticking to a sealed surface rather than absorbing into the wood. Perhaps this is an unfounded fear.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like it Ron, I keep a small cup of water with me to dip my finger in to keep a wet edge. It makes for a much cleaner finish.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I gotta link @utopia78 in here, he came over and did some caulking at my place and it was amazing, i don’t think i’ve seen anyone do better. It was better then pro as i had another contractor over to help me with something else and that contractors caulking wasn’t as nice as what chris laid down.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like it Ron, I keep a small cup of water with me to dip my finger in to keep a wet edge. It makes for a much cleaner finish.

Caulking is not my strong suit. Never comes out like I would like it to. I keep my finger wet and it helps but still wish I was better at it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Caulking is not my strong suit. Never comes out like I would like it to. I keep my finger wet and it helps but still wish I was better at it.

It was never mine either but after 800 houses later you get pretty good at it 🙂

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Saliva works better than water, just not the most appealing approach.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

It does work well. But after a little while I get tired of the taste that is left behind. lol
    I had an older contractor tell me one time to add a little dish soap to water for cleaner joints.

Ron

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I gotta link @utopia78 in here, he came over and did some caulking at my place and it was amazing, i don’t think i’ve seen anyone do better. It was better then pro as i had another contractor over to help me with something else and that contractors caulking wasn’t as nice as what chris laid down.

Thanks Aaron! Didn’t an animal stick it’s paws right into it after we finished and left for the day? How’s the seal, everything looking good?

A Working Pro since 2004

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

It does work well. But after a little while I get tired of the taste that is left behind. lol
    I had an older contractor tell me one time to add a little dish soap to water for cleaner joints.

Yeah a luggie works best hahahah if you have to double dip your saliva the taste is not healthy.

Dish soap is nice and slick. It works well but how often do you have that on you.

They say mineral spirits but honestly anytime I tried it, it was a nightmare. It thins out the material gets loose and sloppy.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Soapy water works great! I’ve been told to stay away from dish soap with lemon or orange in it. It’s more likely to break down the sealants with the citric acid. Could be a wives tale but makes some sense.

Yeah a luggie works best hahahah if you have to double dip your saliva the taste is not healthy.

Ya, ingesting this on a regular basis may be life limiting.

Isn’t that the truth. For sausage style guns I have found COX to be a really nice gun or Newborn Brothers.
    http://www.cox-applicators.com/
    http://www.newborncaulkguns.com/

Nice thing about a sausage gun is you can changed your tips on the fly for different bead sizes.

A Working Pro since 2004

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have never seen one of these sausage guns, I’m assuming it takes a special cartridge?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thanks Aaron! Didn’t an animal stick it’s paws right into it after we finished and left for the day? How’s the seal, everything looking good?

Lol yah a cat or something walked on it right after and left a mark. It held up great over the winter.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

One thing I always have a round is a piece of wire coat hanger.

I keep a small container of water close by also.
    One thing I’m not good at is a decent bead of caulk. The second gun I bought must have been quadruple the cost of the first cheapo I owned. It will give a consistent push in the tube.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.657 seconds