dcsimg

Time for some new levels…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I need to replace my 24″ level, and figured I might as well upgrade from my 48″ fat max and delegate it to rougher work, as it has seen some abuse.

I do a lot of doors, cabinets, trim, bathrooms, and furniture. Not so much new construction framing and concrete, but it happens from time to time.

Stabila is obviously the benchmark for levels, and they have a 48″ and 16″ package for a good price, but I’m wondering if the 16″ level will be a poor substitute for a 24″. I’d also like to pick up a 72″ or 78″ level for doors also, which may have to wait if I go with Stabilas.

The new Fat Max Premium levels caught my eye at Home Depot yesterday, they seem really well made, have quick release bumpers, and fold out hooks which would be handy. Very affordable too if they are accurate.

http://www.stanleytools.com/en-us/products/hand-tools/levels/box-beam/48-in-fatmax-premium-box-beam-with-hook/fmht42400

What lengths do you all find the most useful and is it worth considering others besides Stabila? I need to go check out the Fat Max Premiums for accuracy and make a decision.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I love my stabilas. I just bought them this year. I have the jambers kit, which has the 32 and 78″ and I bought a 48″ r beam which is really nice too. I like the 78″ a lot. I think I’ll be adding a 24″ soon too. The 32″ is great, but it’s a bit too big for some things.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I second the Stabilas. I have not bought any other levels in the last 15 years. You buy them once, and that’s it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I think you will regret the 16″ and hoped you gotten the 24″.

@aa_custom
    ‘s idea on the jambers kit is good too. The 32″ would come in handy for framing doors that are 32″ or wider but 24″ is just that bit too short.

If you get the kit that’s on sale, add in a 24″ also.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I like my Empire True Blue levels. They are very accurate, but have an annoying bevel on them that makes it difficult to use it as a straight edge.

I use a 24, 48, and 72″. Also a couple of torpedo levels.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If it is a good price for the kit then get it. You can always go back and get the 24″ if it goes on sale.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I have Stabilas and a couple Irwin levels. The Irwin are actually not bad levels.

One name I hear a lot is Sola. I hear they are very well made but don’t have the higher sticker price.

I own one of these babies, it came with it’s own wooden case, not for rough site work though, mine has been roughed up more than I care to admit over the years.

http://cdn.protoolreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/GIM60_hero-650×192.jpg

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

Doobie

I should upgrade m8ne at some point, but I’m not there yet. I’m pretty lucky mak8ng mine last. Moved some tasks to lasers helps also.

Any here have the Bosch digital level?

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/inclinometer-and-angle-finders-gim-120-140337-p/

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’m curious as to how accurate the digital levels are?

I’m curious as to how accurate the digital levels are?

Some may say too accurate … lol … they can be very finicky to get “just” right.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

About all we have for levels is Stabila and one decent Irwin sed. I went to the stabile about 12 years ago and have not had a problem with them that was not caused by carelessness.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

It’s all Stabila on the crew I work with. We commonly use 32″, 4 ft, 6ft, and the extendable plate level, which I think goes to about 10′.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I stand by my stabilas and will continue to buy them if i need them, but I’ve got no issues with my dewalt or fatmax levels that i use more on my framing jobs.

The stabila jambers kit would probably serve you well.

Another option could be empire, ive had a few and never had an issue.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I like my empires other than the bevel. I think the bubbles can be a bit hard to read sometimes too.

Just did an addition frame up this week and it was killing me using my nice new stabilas on the roof.

A nice thing about the jamber kit that hasn’t been mentioned it the magnets. They’re very strong, and placed to land on hinges for a hands free use.

Stabila jam setters kit with the 32″ and 78″ levels and add the 24″!! I left Empire Blues for the Stabilas. My Empires were not reading accurate and they wouldn’t respond to my attempts to get them to back their accuracy guarantee. We have been very very happy with our Stabilas!!!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I like my empires other than the bevel. I think the bubbles can be a bit hard to read sometimes too.

I must be the only person in the world that actually likes the blue alcohol/bubble color! I find it easier to see than the green.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I love my stabilas.

I second the Stabilas.

We have been very very happy with our Stabilas!

I third the Bilas, I only wished I got the jammer with the light in it the see it better in the dark.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have quite a few brands:2 torpedoes,Irwin and Stabila, a 24″ Stabila – the one with magnets -, a 48″ Fatmax and a 72″ Johnson with glowing levels.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Spend the money now on the stabillas and don’t look back, they last and are always acurate. Also they have a lifetime garuanty. A guy at work had a 20 year old 48″ one that was out and he took it in and got a new one for free.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.570 seconds