dcsimg

Time for a change

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

When I decided to close my business a little over a year ago, I went to work for a guy I know that has a company that does insurance restoration work… Wind, water, fire damage repairs, etc. I knew this wasn’t the part of the industry that I wanted to work in for an extended period but he runs a good company and it gave me time to make the transition from working for myself for a decade to being an employee again.

I spent a good deal of time looking at other job opportunities but was being very selective about applying… I wanted a company that was a good fit for me – one that treated it’s people right, did high end quality work, and would allow me to use my skills and hopefully hone them too. I found that company – on the 16th I start as a lead carpenter for a company that is regularly in the top 2 or 3 high end home remodelers in the Pittsburgh area. I am pretty excited for this new step.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Congrats on making that move. Sounds like a really decent place to work. Hopefully you will be able to share some details of the projects with us.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Sounds like a good move Chad. Congratulations of finding something that you are excited about. How far is Pittsburg from where you live in Ohio?

If you love what you are doing, you will never work a day in your life.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Sounds like a good move Chad. Congratulations of finding something that you are excited about. How far is Pittsburg from where you live in Ohio?

If you love what you are doing, you will never work a day in your life.

Pittsburgh is about an hour from my house and several of they areas the company works in is closer than that.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

When I decided to close my business a little over a year ago, I went to work for a guy I know that has a company that does insurance restoration work… Wind, water, fire damage repairs, etc. I knew this wasn’t the part of the industry that I wanted to work in for an extended period but he runs a good company and it gave me time to make the transition from working for myself for a decade to being an employee again.

I spent a good deal of time looking at other job opportunities but was being very selective about applying… I wanted a company that was a good fit for me – one that treated it’s people right, did high end quality work, and would allow me to use my skills and hopefully hone them too. I found that company – on the 16th I start as a lead carpenter for a company that is regularly in the top 2 or 3 high end home remodelers in the Pittsburgh area. I am pretty excited for this new step.

Congrats on finding the right fit for you Chad. It can be challenging going from working for yourself to fitting into the ‘mold’ of an employer/employee situation.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

A big chance to go from working for yourself to working for someone.

Less pressure, paid vacations, actual work hours instead of 24/7! Good luck👍

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

paid vacation

I have never in my life had a paid vacation. I have always been a carpenter. Never ever been with a company that good. I do get vacation pay but not paid for the time to take it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That’s great news Chad. Congrats.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Congrats Chad ! Hope everything goes great for you!

Congrats Chad. A big move. Probably have to put in less hours per week too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really hope this move works out good for you. I need to also find a good company.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Congrats Chad! Sounds like this will be a great job. All the best.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I found that company – on the 16th I start as a lead carpenter for a company that is regularly in the top 2 or 3 high end home remodelers in the Pittsburgh area. I am pretty excited for this new step.

Chad that sounds really great. Will you be relocating or commuting?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I really hope this move works out good for you. I need to also find a good company.

Work slowed down here dramatically the last couple of months. Been doing horseshit little jobs that barely pay the bills.

The cycle is brutal when cost of living is so high. Im just keeping up when work is coming in because of all the uncontrollable factors.

Got into a bit of argument with my girl. Got two weeks paid for X-xmas, has about 4 other weeks paid time off, plus accrues time off, makes over 6 figures with room to go up and I lashed out at in the company of friends because they wanted make plans for a vacation in April. Im like really. Oh your always miserable. Probably right. Work stupid hard with more responsibility than the average person by far with a fraction of the reward.

Oblivious, and entitlement is off the rails and I said to everyone being self employed makes you a sucker nowadays.

26 yrs I never had a day paid off, a vacation pay, or a tax return. Never a raise but could do a little better working if the right projects come along. So from now till April the only thing Im accruing is more tax debt.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I found that company – on the 16th I start as a lead carpenter for a company that is regularly in the top 2 or 3 high end home remodelers in the Pittsburgh area. I am pretty excited for this new step.

Chad that sounds really great. Will you be relocating or commuting?

I will be commuting. The project I am starting on Monday is in Sewickley, Pa – only about 20 miles from my house.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will be commuting. The project I am starting on Monday is in Sewickley, Pa – only about 20 miles from my house.

That sounds great. Sewickly is a nice little town.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Good luck Chad

Sorry to rant in your thread….maybe I reinforced the decision lol

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Clev08
    Pro

Hopefully it works out great for you! A contractor I have worked with a lot spent two weeks on a trial run for a company he was thinking he might want to work for. They made him an offer to be a head carpenter, but he would have had to drive 30 to and from where the company kept their work trucks and then to the jobsite. Between that and the company only having dewalt tools(which he despises) he decided to keep working for himself. It sounds like you will be working for a much more reputable company though, so congrats!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Well how’s the new gig going @ChadM ? Do you have a good crew?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Well how’s the new gig going @ChadM ? Do you have a good crew?

It is going really well Ron. Have a great crew of guys that really know their stuff and the company does some really high end work – the fun stuff.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.388 seconds