dcsimg

Tile showers and tub surrounds

Viewing 14 posts - 641 through 654 (of 654 total)
  • Author

I used a 2′ straight edge to check. The tiles would flex a bit so I would thicken the thinset on the outer edges to help the tiles lay flatter. I think Imwas able to get the lippage within the 1/16th acceptable range for the grout joint width and tile size. I tried to talk the client (lmao) into a 1/3 offset but they wouldn’t have it…lol!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Man was I missing my RLS system for these. They had a slight bow to them that made setting them more of a pain.

It looks great. How did you handle the bow in the tiles?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@58Chev proper thinset coverage, back buttering of all tiles, and occasionally pulling a tile back up to apply more thinset if a corner was low.

Here is the worst joint. The credit card is 1/32″ thick. It is just over that card. Every other joint was flush or just slightly off…well within an acceptable range. Thankfully this one is under the vanity cabinet so it won’t bug me later…lol!

I suppose this was a good exercise in setting tiles without fancy spacers or tools to prove it can be done, it can be done well, and to give a better appreciation for working with better tools.

Andrew

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

lippage

Did you check for the Lippage???

Man I sure hope lippage is not the thickness of a nickel.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

No doubt @RonW! I used TEC PowerGrout for this floor since I couldn’t find any urethane close by. It is decent grout.

Andrew

Well all grouted. Need to install the tile base after the new vanity cabinet. Re-set the toilet tonight so we at least have basic functions again.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well all grouted. Need to install the tile base after the new vanity cabinet. Re-set the toilet tonight so we at least have basic functions again.

Man that came out looking great. Will it get a new toilet?? They do sell some super nice ones here.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Looks great nice work adjusting it into plane. I am a fan of power grout as well.

One thing I try to do when I can is discourage people from using grout joints less than 1/8″. Anything less is too small in my opinion to key into a full depth joint. The little joint are the ones that end up leaking after the little pieces fall out.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice work on the floor Andrew.
    I do like the power grout. Have used it a couple times with good results.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Came out nice Andrew. Nice work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@overanalyze looks excellent, great tips, I will be doing the same type of tiles in the next couple of weeks, I pretty much have done just basic square tiles or rectangular just not this big,

@DirtyWhiteBoy same toilet..it was still in good working order. @TopNotch I would have preferred 1/8″ if I had my RLS and if I had urethane grout..but the 3/16″ looks fine. I agree that you want full depth joints. I always spend time cleaning out excess thinset with a utility knife prior to grouting. If you do this right away the next day it isn’t hard to scrape out.

@boschmanbrian
    the same techniques apply for square tiles…you still have to watch lippage in the corners. Usually a bowed tile doesn’t occur in the square tiles.

Andrew

@dirtywhiteboy same toilet..it was still in good working order. @topnotch I would have preferred 1/8″ if I had my RLS and if I had urethane grout..but the 3/16″ looks fine. I agree that you want full depth joints. I always spend time cleaning out excess thinset with a utility knife prior to grouting. If you do this right away the next day it isn’t hard to scrape out.

@boschmanbrian the same techniques apply for square tiles…you still have to watch lippage in the corners. Usually a bowed tile doesn’t occur in the square tiles.

Cool, thanks, that’s what I mean, I have never had a bowed tile with the regular square., your job looks great, thanks for your credit card number lol

AndyG
    Pro

I’m still alive out here …having my best year ever in business …shout if I can help.

Andyg

Viewing 14 posts - 641 through 654 (of 654 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.896 seconds