dcsimg

Tile showers and tub surrounds

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 654 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

That is awesome stuff @topnotch!! I use Kerdi and GoBoard because it is quick and available…I would love to try the Wedi sometime. I think all of these products have a place and there isn’t any reason to limit yourself to one brand.

And………not to beat a dead horse but they use the board for curved walls, lounge chairs and even an actual tub that gets tiled. Yeah a tub…thats wild.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

That is awesome stuff @topnotch!! I use Kerdi and GoBoard because it is quick and available…I would love to try the Wedi sometime. I think all of these products have a place and there isn’t any reason to limit yourself to one brand.

And………not to beat a dead horse but they use the board for curved walls, lounge chairs and even an actual tub that gets tiled. Yeah a tub…thats wild.

Wow..that would be cool…want a custom size tub…we can do it…lol!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I saw miles of both the Kerdi and the Wedi used in the fore seasons holel. The Kerdi I was told protects form movement and cracking.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I saw miles of both the Kerdi and the Wedi used in the fore seasons holel. The Kerdi I was told protects form movement and cracking.

He mentioned the boards were being used in many hotels. For the Wedi sealant he said its military grade stuff and flexs 200x itself or 200 lbs/ft hence the ability resist cracking.

Wedi has a great warranty program as well something like 10 years. In an other example of the quality of the sealant….. He said they went on a claim and after investigating, they found the installer made a bad cut on the foam curb. Some sloppy angle with almost 3/4″ gap at the bottom. The gap allowed daylight to pass through it. Rather than buy a new curb the guy pumped the sealant in there to fill the void. It lasted 8 years before failing.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the feedback. What are the benefits of a urethane? Does it still need be sealed and resealed every so often?

@overanalyze

Thanks for the feedback. What are the benefits of a urethane? Does it still need be sealed and resealed every so often?

@overanalyze

@TonyG
    nope. Once it cured it’s done. Same with epoxy. Only maintenance item would be any caulking in the corners.

Andrew

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you! I am going to go with the urethane!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What are the benefits of a urethane? Does it still need be sealed and resealed every so often?

I believe urethane is UV resistant, which is why is used a lot outdoors.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So for the niche in the backsplash I am doing I set the accent tiles flat at the shop this weekend. I even grouted it and then cut it to size ahead of time. I just had to do some minor trimming on site but it fit in very snug. Basically I just set one big tile. I love this method!

Andrew

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Nice Andrew, I like that idea. Does that Go Board come in different thicknesses or just your 1/2″?

The Wedi rep showed us that and also doing the sides. The sides were mitered cut somehow and the panel folded around the corner.

Not being a tile guy I was in awe

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

@TopNotch it comes in 1/4″ and 1/2″. For this I acutally used some Denshield we had at the shop. Being a dry area I wasn’t worried about it being waterproof. It is the easiest I have tried to get those damn little tiles to stay put…just take gravity out of the equation…lol!

Andrew

Clev08
    Pro

@topnotch it comes in 1/4″ and 1/2″. For this I acutally used some Denshield we had at the shop. Being a dry area I wasn’t worried about it being waterproof. It is the easiest I have tried to get those damn little tiles to stay put…just take gravity out of the equation…lol!

It is a great idea that I will be using next time I do an inset shelf!

@topnotch it comes in 1/4″ and 1/2″. For this I acutally used some Denshield we had at the shop. Being a dry area I wasn’t worried about it being waterproof. It is the easiest I have tried to get those damn little tiles to stay put…just take gravity out of the equation…lol!

It is a great idea that I will be using next time I do an inset shelf!

I definitely recommend it @clev08! I used to dread having to install mosaics in niches because they tend to sag, be a pain to keep aligned, and be difficult to cut the small pieces. This takes all that out of the equation.

Andrew

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

So for the niche in the backsplash I am doing I set the accent tiles flat at the shop this weekend. I even grouted it and then cut it to size ahead of time. I just had to do some minor trimming on site but it fit in very snug. Basically I just set one big tile. I love this method!

Great idea getting the niche done ahead of time. Much easier to do laying flat.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

@overanalyze wow that’s a great idea, I remember you also used it a couple of weeks ago in a shower install,

I really like the color contrast with the dark and light backslash.
    Looks awesome

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

This wasnt a waterproofing application but if it was in a shower……what are the chances that water gets in between the double adhered pre tiled backer?
    Its not like you get to treat the corners with liquid or thinset/mesh.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Clev08
    Pro

This wasnt a waterproofing application but if it was in a shower……what are the chances that water gets in between the double adhered pre tiled backer?

I’m guessing a waterproofing membrane would be applied before the tile is set into the niche. That way if water gets behind it, it doesn’t get into the wall.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That looks very nice. The contrast in the tile, along with the direction change really makes it pop.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

That’s really a nice touch you did there . The color’s used there set it off .

Always willing to learn .

@TopNotch
    I would have the niche waterproof before and then used Kerdi or GoBoard as the backer so I didn’t have any worries about the substrate being waterproofed.

Thanks @Skillman…client chose the colors and design!

Andrew

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 654 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.001 seconds