dcsimg

Tile showers and tub surrounds

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 654 total)
  • Author

@AndyG that’s a great list

@Warren6810
    some very good points about the demos trash

@ChadM
    that’s a good point to isolate the bathroom, I also always use the 1/4 turn ball valves.

Awesome info Andy. Thanks

Got quite a bit of tiling up today. I had no issues with tiling over the GoBoard. I also plugged the drain and have a flood test going on the shower pan tonight.

This will have a pretty cool niche and marble accents. The bench is also a one piece marble slab.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Got quite a bit of tiling up today. I had no issues with tiling over the GoBoard. I also plugged the drain and have a flood test going on the shower pan tonight.

This will have a pretty cool niche and marble accents. The bench is also a one piece marble slab.

Looks good OA! It looks that is going to be a good sized shower. So when you pull of the ledger you started on all you need to do is seal the holes with the caulking and your good?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

AndyG
    Pro

Nice job man .

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That’s some nice work Andrew.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

looks good so far, what are you putting down on the floor?

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

This is a really great thread , it will come in handy for when I do my bathroom and my shower . I will also have a chance to use my new Bosch tile saw .

@ChadM I used small dollups of hot glue to apply the ledger. It should pop off pretty easy. If there is any damage to the backer or Kerdi I can fix it with either Kerdi band or apply a couple coats of liquid of it. You definitely could use screws and then use the urethane to cover the holes or Kerdi.

@crotalusco
    the floor will be a 2×2 marble tile.

Thanks @AndyG & @RonW !

Andrew

AndyG
    Pro

Going to throw a little more out here ….all finished drywall will be built up in corners , and corner bead will almost always throw a wall out of flat .

Just things to look for .

On tile hitting crown mold, back up the crown with 3/8 stock so large format tile doesn’t swallow up the detail at the cove .

Doobie

Glad I went looking back into this thread just now. I had missed this post from Andy.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/tile-showers-and-tub-surrounds/page/2/#post-456591

As others said already, great list Andy!

Quality is rarely an accident . It’s the result of intelligent effort .

So true. So true!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Got quite a bit of tiling up today.

Looks real nice so far Andrew. Nice look on the tile.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@overanalyze that’s looking real good Andrew, what size is the subway tile
    What sort of tiles will be going on the floor, not sure if you mentioned that.
    Great work.

Oops, never mind, to early in the morning, just saw your response for the floor tiles lol,

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Right on time with the topic Andrew.
    I’m preparing to do the master bedroom’s bath/shower in my house and I shop around for materials AND ideas. I want to go with tempered glass sliding door.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is exactly how I start my tile with the wood strip. Works very well for me.
    Nice job!

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

That is exactly how I start my tile with the wood strip. Works very well for me.
    Nice job!

To be honest i dont think ive seen the use of a ledger rather than doing the floor first. But i guess it makes sense especially when using a softer material on the floor

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I do it just to be sure I start the tile straight and level. If the first for is off a little from a crooked base or tub everything will be off.

AndyG
    Pro

Im faster working off ledges .

The ledger lets you start perfectly straight and level. I don’t use one always but they do come in handy. @ChadM the hot glue I used didn’t do much damage to the backer when I removed the ledger so I just brushed on some liquid over the spots.

The flood test passed with flying colors on this one. Spent quite a bit of time laying out the niche and getting the tile up to the first marble accent piece.

Another tip is to keep your thinset cleaned up out o the joints and off the face of the wall as you go. Saves a lot of time when you go to prep for grout. Also I clean all my grout joints the next day. If you wait to long the thinset is way harder to clean out of the grout joints. I keep a bucket of water with a sponge handy while setting.

@Boschmanbrian
    no worries…the site isn’t the easiest to pick back up reading where you left off. The subway tiles are 4×8. A little larger than a standard 3×6.

Andrew

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That came out great @overanalyze. Good tip on keeping the grout joints clean while laying – I do the same, a lot easier than cleaning thinset out of grout joints after it is dry. I’ve found that using the Back Butter Buddy really helps to keep my hands clean, which helps keep the tile clean.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 654 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.138 seconds