dcsimg

Tile shower leaking

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    TNTSERVICES
    Pro
    Naperville, Illinois

I would rip that out without any question. I like the Schluter products and have never had a problem with one that was installed by the book. Too many mistakes on the surface to trust what was done underneath, that membrane should be going up to the top of the shower and if the grout is cracking or not there any more it’s a sign of things to come.

You had me up to the membrane needing to go up to the top. The liner is installed at the correct height, and then the VB maintains it to the top.

But I completely agree that there is no cure for this one but a complete gut.

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

Home owner said this shower leaked from the day they moved it, but they never did anything about it.

Who ever installed it used tar paper as the membrane. The tar paper was stapled to the studs, hardi over that and then tile.
    There wasn’t a pan used, just tile over the concrete floor.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Home owner said this shower leaked from the day they moved it, but they never did anything about it.

Who ever installed it used tar paper as the membrane. The tar paper was stapled to the studs, hardi over that and then tile.

That looks nasty, that tar paper has been known to leak.

Doobie

I have to agree. Rip and redo. 🙁

Seras15
    Pro
    Oshawa, ON

Without a doubt start from scratch. Have done many showers with the Schulter system and never had a problem. You can always show the customer at that point when the membrane is installed how waterproof the system is for a piece of mind for them. On top of that I would still caulk all corners also.

Doobie

This is suitable at least for the infamous ‘Hack Hall of Fame” thread,

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-hack-hall-of-fame-v2/

Sadly! 🙁

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very poor workmanship there. Wonder what else these guys did that was subpar on the home?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I could just imagine what the shower area looked like before the tear down.
    That’s just nuts.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

@seras15, what you mentioned is exactly what we do. We use schluter on all of our showers, although this one, we used trugaurd be cause of the size and single slope.

@theamcguy
    , the electrical that we exposed matched his handy work behind the scenes on the shower, however the tile work that he did on the shower was absolutely flawless as well as his drywall finishing.
    I think he would have done a good job waterproofing the shower, if only he had the proper instruction.

@doobie
    , I may have to re-post this in that thread.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.309 seconds