dcsimg

Tile shower leaking

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

Got a call today to look at a tile shower that is leaking and has destroyed some laminate flooring in another room. This is in a basement. I don’t know much about tile showers, I do know that there is a proper way to waterproof them using a membrane system. Looking at the backside of the shower wall (inside a closet) I could see that they used some type of PVC bladder that came up approx 8″ off the shower floor. There was plastic vapor barrier above that behind the durock. The shower drain stands 1/4-3/8″ above the shower floor. The grout in the corners of the shower are cracking, some places the grout is gone.

I’m wondering what my options are.
    Tear the tile off halfway up, install the proper membrane, and retile?
    Gut the whole shower and start over?

The homeowner is thinking remove the laminate and stain the concrete in the other room

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

You are correct about removing the at least the pan and IMO the whole thing. Who knows what the “other guy” did wrong. The drain above the tile leaves some concern for sure.

Basically if done correctly, even if there is a leak, water should never leave that area. It all should go down the drain at some point.

To me it sounds like the liner was not installed correctly to the drain and quite possibly there is no pre-slope under it. This is a huge guess on my part.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

PS….that is one ugly shower…..sorry if I offend.

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

That was the other thing I forgot to mention, there isn’t any slope to the drain. The floor isn’t built up at all to make slope either.

No offense taken, after posting the pics I noticed all that nasty hair in there. Gross!!

I would tear it all out and start over, do it right. Too many issues with mold and other issues and it is cheap insurance. I would be using Kerdi for sure.

Orange County, CA

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I would rip that out without any question. I like the Schluter products and have never had a problem with one that was installed by the book. Too many mistakes on the surface to trust what was done underneath, that membrane should be going up to the top of the shower and if the grout is cracking or not there any more it’s a sign of things to come.

redwood
    Pro

Any time you have a change of planes, with tile, they should be caulked not grouted. That’s why the grout is cracking in the corners. As others have said, the water needs to find it’s way to the drain or you will have problems.

Tile and grout are not waterproof. What happens when you penetrate that vapor barrier to attach the durock?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would guess that a standard drain was used instead of a shower drain that the waterproof membrane drains into. I would also guess that they did not preslope the floor before installing the membrane to make it drain. to fix the shower, remove the base and start over from bare concrete. we use this to establish our slope and preslope for showers.

http://www.dixsystems.com/quick-pitch-system

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’m with the others. Out it comes and do it right. I don’t think there is anyway to “fix” that…

@redwood
    good advice on the change of planes and caulking.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Looks like the cement board was out on backwards. I’ve never seen the writing on the back.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

leaking showers are no fun, you know its bad when you see mushrooms.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

That’s one ugly shower. However that’s besides the point I’m not one for just fixing what I think is wrong. I much rather tear out the shower and redo it the right way. If they don’t want that then I’d move on and be happy I didn’t do a half ass job.

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

@kurtwelkerhomes-com
    Surprisingly enough it is a square shower drain.
    @nick1001
    I didn’t notice that until you mentioned it. But yes, yes it is in there backwards.

@njbuilder

I agree! I believe “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right” and nothing short of it.
    Sounds like I’ve got to put together an estimate for the shower and the laminate floor so the homeowner can turn it into their insurance man.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I would tear the whole thing out and start from scratch – especially since once you fix it you have to warranty it. It is difficult enough to properly do a tiled shower without trying to do it while incorporating someone else’s screw ups.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I would guess that a standard drain was used instead of a shower drain that the waterproof membrane drains into. I would also guess that they did not preslope the floor before installing the membrane to make it drain. to fix the shower, remove the base and start over from bare concrete. we use this to establish our slope and preslope for showers.

http://www.dixsystems.com/quick-pitch-system

how much do those kits cost? we make the same thing with plywood and 5 quarter.

Im with the consensus here, that is one ugly shower- so what if it didn’t leak.

With leaky showers I always, always try to sell a full replacement. It can’t be said enough times that when you touch it you own it.

Go Schluter!

I love Schluter stuff. Just wish it was easier to get locally — there are places that stock it, but it is a drive. Lowes carries the Kerdi Band, which is nice. Kerdi Fix is amazing stuff too.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.876 seconds