dcsimg

Tile question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a friend building a sunroom over her deck. She wants to use 8″ x 48″ tile on the floor. Underside of the floor will be open. Is this a doable thing or a bad idea?

I have a friend building a sunroom over her deck. She wants to use 8″ x 48″ tile on the floor. Underside of the floor will be open. Is this a doable thing or a bad idea?

Wow , personally I don’t think I would trust it ,
    What is the deck made from treated wood planks and what is it sitting on , lots of things play into the picture
    Weather , structure , underlayment , and the size of the tile also
    Is it in an area with ground movement from say frost and so on , how or what is the structure built on , and is it typical 2×4 or 2×6 floor boards with spacing between ,
    If they decide to tile will they screw down some sort of underlayment before tiling

I’d be curious to hear or see more about this project ,

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Never seen it done myself Ron. But looks like it might be doable it done correctly.
    Here is a video I found. https://youtu.be/nlSWhRQK34w

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have used tile on cement porches before but am concerned about cold air under it.

Doobie

I looked into this years ago myself. It can be done but it’s not cheap. First you want to make sure that the substructure is solid meaning that you don’t have huge spans where there’s just naturally a bounce anyways in it. Then you can use 3/4 ply exterior rated and you need to wrap it up with the Schluter membrane taping it all around the edges to the bottom side going in about 4 in on the underside. Then you use the Ditra from Schluter on top and then you can lay your tiles although I’d be really concerned with such a large tile, I would be trying to stick to a smaller tile just to be on the safe side.

EDITS: Some edits above since originally posted. Edit date is 01FEB2021

I’d just stay away from this. I got my guidance from a Sclhuter Rep over a decade ago. Not entirely sure he was right as I’ve never actually heard or seen anybody do this.

I have used tile on cement porches before but am concerned about cold air under it.

Yeah I’ve done one tile on concrete balcony years ago , worked great , like you I would be worried about if the tile joint falls between the floor joists , I assume they are going to be installing some sort of underlayment ,

I’d be curious to know what they decided to do

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Thanks guys, I gave her the advice that its not a good idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.181 seconds