dcsimg

Tile over Radiant Heat Cables

This topic contains 34 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Thanks for the thought @dirtywhiteboy. Yeah, I Spent 40 years in Calif. Really heavy on the earthquake stuff. I’ve lived through several really bad ones myself and worked on the damage personally. The codes (like most laws) are written under the duress manufacturer’s reps. Ever wonder why construction costs rise almost as fast as medical and pharmaceuticals.

You’re right about adhesive…it’s actually a critical element. But it’s a sub-floor not a bomb shelter. I’d rather tear off a floor that was nailed instead of stapled with big ass staples 8 days a week. Nails are good, too. I guess we old farts just like to stand on experience..excuse the pun!

Thanks again, hope you’re having a great Xmas. I wish I was over there, toes in the sand, coldie in hand, enjoy!

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Properly installed, Ditra heat would be just as strong as your method @chattaroy. In addition to the strength, it would be WAY faster!

That’s I’ve always understood. You also avoid huge transitions that are no fun either.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Thanks @andyg, @masterbosch, @iponto07, @chadm, @kurt@Welcherhomes.com for suggesting Ditra. It’s a great product, but the client found these cables online
    I think, and ordered them.

@jponto, I spelled your handle wrong in last post. And forgot to mention @boschmanbrian. sorry. Thanks again.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@jponto, I spelled your handle wrong in last post. And forgot to mention @boschmanbrian. sorry. Thanks again.

No worries, and my pleasure, it’s also great to see and hear different installation methods and feedback.
    It’s always good to learn new ways and tips.

AndyG
    Pro

Ditra heat mat works with most any cable . Mat is sold separately.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thanks @andyg, @masterbosch, @iponto07, @chadm, @kurt@Welcherhomes.com for suggesting Ditra. It’s a great product, but the client found these cables online
    I think, and ordered them.

at that point I would go with sealing up the floor as you described and lay the cables and pour the self leveraging. An additional layer of underlayment should not be necessary. If you’ feel something is needed, you could use the regular ditra or a kerdi membrane under the pour.

I agree @kurt@welkerhomes.com. Thanks!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You’re right about adhesive…it’s actually a critical element. But it’s a sub-floor not a bomb shelter.

You didn’t glue it down???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

@dirtywhiteboy settle down! I glue the sh** out of everything, including sub-floors. What I meant is that adhesive and good staples are really strong. Forget I ever mentioned earthquakes. It’s really, really strong. Have a coldie!

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Yes you can use any cables with ditra mat or other mats.what I don’t like about ditra is only thing is holding the mat in place is thinset. To plywood so even though there is some type of bond which you have to use unmodified thinset.which doesn’t have much flexablity on the material itself.may cause problems in the long run. They give warranty on there product sure but who we kidding they gonna blame it on the building settling or installer. So its your call on ditra. There is always a better way to do something. Ditra is for fast installation.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Ditra is quicker than a cancerous board underpayment, but considerably more expensive. Most tile installers consider it a premium installation.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Ditra is quicker than a cancerous board underpayment, but considerably more expensive. Most tile installers consider it a premium installation.

True on all accounts. I will only install over Ditra myself ( there are exceptions of course). Yes, it costs a bit more, but I feel like the faster install and cleanliness of the Ditra vs cement board is more than worth the cost difference.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy settle down! I glue the sh** out of everything, including sub-floors. What I meant is that adhesive and good staples are really strong. Forget I ever mentioned earthquakes. It’s really, really strong. Have a coldie!

Oh I am settled it’s just very strange to hear someone is still using staple on a sub floor.. If it’s so strong why is illegal here and so many other places? Aren’t you in a earth quake zone?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Oh I am settled it’s just very strange to hear someone is still using staple on a sub floor.. If it’s so strong why is illegal here and so many other places? Aren’t you in a earth quake zone?

Never stapled a subfloor myself, always glued and ringshank nails. We have stapled Luan underlayment, but never the subfloor. I would have to check the code to see if it is allowed. I do know that we can staple wall and roof sheeting but I do not believe that Dirty can due to winds and his seismic zone

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.790 seconds