dcsimg

Tiki Hut

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have been floating the idea of building a Tiki hut in the back yard next to the pool for a while. No I don’t mean those Tiki hut kits you buy for $129.99 or an umbrella you line with faked leaves. A real authentic looking one.

Anyone ever built one? I am not that concerned with the structural support and framing aspect but I just wonder how the roof-leaves are done, there has to be some special techniques in weaving those leaves as they are supposed to be water tight right?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think with just the lapping of the palm fronds and with enough layer it gets rather dry under there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It is just layers of fronds with nothing special? How are the fronds secured to the framing? There is no plywood deck, do they need to be weaved together somehow?

How are they attached at the “crown” line of the roof? Compressed between two pieces of wood

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Went to the beach yesterday and saw some “tiki style” umbrellas.

These are not natural. They are made of recycled shredded plastic LOL.

Doobie
    Pro

Seems you can buy kits. Here’s a couple of places I quickly found…

http://www.palapastructures.com/

https://sunsetbamboo.com/umbrellas-kits/tiki-huts-and-palapas.html

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Went to the beach yesterday and saw some “tiki style” umbrellas.

These are not natural. They are made of recycled shredded plastic LOL.

If you google Polynesian Cultural Center then hit images there are many buttons on the top. That one came off the villages button.

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Very interesting. Had no idea how many leaves are used in thatching one roof.

Doobie
    Pro

Just a thought that occured to me….Watch out if you do undertake this how fire resistive or dangerous it may be in placing your tiki hut close to other structures. Seems to me these things may catch fire pretty easily.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very interesting. Had no idea how many leaves are used in thatching one roof.

I had no idea they used palmetto plant leaves. Those would be very water tight, just like shingles. You have to make some runs out the the ever glades to get leaves.

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Just a thought that occured to me….Watch out if you do undertake this how fire resistive or dangerous it may be in placing your tiki hut close to other structures. Seems to me these things may catch fire pretty easily.

Yes it is flammable but we have palm trees everywhere, and many of them have a “petticoat” of dried up palm fronds hanging, and all kinds of mulch shavings that are also very flammable. I think as long as we don’t lit up tiki torches we will be OK.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Cool stuff, love the look of them. Good luck with the build.

Are you going to use some bamboo in the construction or just the thatch roof?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am thinking just regular PT 2x lumber for the roof framing, PT 4×4 for the columns. Then may be hired out the thatching of the roof since I don’t have the materials or the skills to do the fronds. Looks easy but…

Not think bamboo as this will be more a Carribean and not so much Asian.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the small timbers look.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

Yes it is flammable but we have palm trees everywhere, and many of them have a “petticoat” of dried up palm fronds hanging, and all kinds of mulch shavings that are also very flammable. I think as long as we don’t lit up tiki torches we will be OK.

Do you have any kind of outdoor firepit or chimenea burning thing out there? Sometimes it’s that and not some more obvious burn method that would set such a thing ablaze with an errant cinder.

Not tryin to not deter you, but just to think out what you’re gonna do and think about any potential unintended dangers. Be safe Sami.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.499 seconds