dcsimg

Tight miter is a right miter

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Nice video. I need some clamps

That’s how you do it!! You don’t get pro level specialty tools at a box store. Collins clamps made right in the awesome USA in Ohio!!!

Great video! I need to order some of the clam clamps. I have been eyeing them for a few years!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice video. I need some clamps

I’m thinking the same thing. Never knew they had clamps like that.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

The Clam Clamps are made by a guy named Jim Chesnut out Maine I believe. They are pretty pricey. But they are very well made and if a tight miter is what you are after, these are well worth it.

The Collins clamps and Clam Clamps both mar the work piece. The Collins clamp leave a very tinny hole, almost the size of a 23ga pin nail. The Clam Clamps leave bigger holes about the size of a 16ga finish nail.

The Clam Clamps have 4 pins per side. They all are removable. Right now I only have 2 on each side. One the furthest away from the miter toe and one about 2″ away from the toe. Extra pins can be stored right on the tool so you don’t loose them. I only have 2 per side because unfortunately the trim is MDF and I found that that many pins will split the 5/8″ trim especially if I had the pin installed closest to the toe of the miter. The amount of pressure they put on the inside of the miter is amazing.

I am casing windows and doors so I am assembling all the trim on the table to sit and dry then bring it fully assembled to the window sill or hung door. My method has worked very well for me but others in another forum have said that using a biscuit then Clam Clamping is a great method. I tried it on one window but I am not set up enough to go that route just yet.

Depending on the thickness of the trim, you could use the Clam Clamps while attaching the trim on the wall. If you notice in the video I had to lift the trim up a bit for the pins to grab the center of the trim. So…using on the wall is not an option for me on this job.

Hope I covered everyone’s questions. Lol

BTW. …I hear if you call Jim Chesnut to order the Clam Clamps, he is a long time carpenter and a great conversationalist. Other guys say that he is a hoot to talk to.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

We have them clamps here in Canada , They sell for 12 or 13 bucks .

where did you see them? i’ve been looking ever since i saw them on instagram from a different user and i thought they were pretty sweet piece of gear.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

The Clam Clamps are $150 a pair. The Collins clamps you can find a kit for under $40.

I buy most of my stuff online but not sure where you can find clamps in Canada. Jim does ship to Canada for the Clam Clamps

Maynard
    Pro

COOL. Awesome.everyone asked the same question about the tools. Need to get a pair

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The Clam Clamps are $150 a pair. The Collins clamps you can find a kit for under $40.

I buy most of my stuff online but not sure where you can find clamps in Canada. Jim does ship to Canada for the Clam Clamps

i do like the clam clamps for trim, would’ve made my last trim job much tighter. I’ll have to look around to see where i can get it or try out the collins clamp when i get around to hitting up atlas machinery.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.368 seconds