dcsimg

Tie in to vent stack with no room for fitting?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

As many of you know, I am putting a bathroom in the basement. I have to tie into the vent stack but there is no room to cut it open and put a T in there. It’s a 3″ stack, the new vent for the bathroom is 1 1/4″ I think. Doesn’t really matter. What I am looking for is a way to tie in.

Is there such a thing where you can just drill a hole and put a connection over the hole with a band clamp or some such thing? I have actually thought of drilling a hole and using epoxy to put a female to female connector in so one side would be bonded to the stack and the other side to go to the venting system, but I don’t think that would actually be allowed,

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

As many of you know, I am putting a bathroom in the basement. I have to tie into the vent stack but there is no room to cut it open and put a T in there. It’s a 3″ stack, the new vent for the bathroom is 1 1/4″ I think. Doesn’t really matter. What I am looking for is a way to tie in.

Is there such a thing where you can just drill a hole and put a connection over the hole with a band clamp or some such thing? I have actually thought of drilling a hole and using epoxy to put a female to female connector in so one side would be bonded to the stack and the other side to go to the venting system, but I don’t think that would actually be allowed,

I just talked to my friend who is a plumber , he said no such thing available , he said you need to cut into it and use a y plus the j clamp on one side of the y as you attach to the stack vent 🤷‍♂️
    I’ll ask another plumber here when i see him at break time ,
    Who come you don’t have access ,

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Who come you don’t have access

I am going to assume you meant “how come you don’t have access”.

Too many connections too close together.

Who come you don’t have access

I am going to assume you meant “how come you don’t have access”.

Too many connections too close together.

Lol yeah exactly

Just talked to my other plumbing friend at break time ,

He said no such thing is available like that ,
    He also suggested that you put in an automatic vent from Oatey
    Like the white one I’m attached in the picture , he also said if it’s to much trouble to run a vent which he suggested be higher than the one that’s just higher up on the vent run , then you can always make something like this grey tubing , it acts like a vent and can be installed in the wall ,
    Basically just making a area to hold air for acting like a vent
    Hopefully this helps Jim

First picture is the automatic vent by Oatey
    It’s around 15 bucks , you can install it actually under the sink
    And the big air vent inside the wall or even on the other side of the wall if you have access , he said the higher and larger the run the better the venting will be

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Is that stack a dedicated vent stack or is there flows coming down from upstair’s system?

Any chance you can run the vent higher or lower on the stack to avoid the section with too many fittings? In the US we can do the tie in as low as 6″ above the highest flood rim of the highest fixture which is usually the sink.

Is you use an AAV it can be a workaround but AAV is a mechanical device that does fail.

If the congestion is from other tees to tie into other vents, any chance you can tie into the inlet section of those vent pipes instead of the stack itself?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

automatic vent from Oatey

you use an AAV

I am familiar with those. They had them in the mobile home we had. I am not sure if they are approved for venting a toilet though. I think they call the “cheater vents” sometimes. I will have to check. Perhaps getting a plumber to do the final hookup would be the way to go.

Thanks folks!

you use an AAV

I am familiar with those. They had them in the mobile home we had. I am not sure if they are approved for venting a toilet though. I think they call the “cheater vents” sometimes. I will have to check. Perhaps getting a plumber to do the final hookup would be the way to go.

Thanks folks!

Oh sorry Jim , I thought it was just for the sink , you are right , a toilet with the pump may be different

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Is there such a thing where you can just drill a hole and put a connection over the hole with a band clamp or some such thing?

Yes. You can get pvc saddles, glue and hose clamp to attach.
    You can also get “flexible” saddles. Check Fernco

Attachments:
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

saddles

SADDLES!!! That is the term I was searching for when trying to describe it. Oh, thank you so much!!

Is there such a thing where you can just drill a hole and put a connection over the hole with a band clamp or some such thing?

😲
    I had no idea , I’ll definitely show this to the plumber tomorrow and give him an earful lol ,

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Oh, thank you so much!!

Where does the waste from the toilet tie into the main waste line ? and where does the stack vent tie into the main waste ?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

you use an AAV

Thanks folks!

AAVs can deal with negative pressure during the draining of a fixture. It cannot deal with positive pressure. Atmospheric vents can deal with both. If it’s a basement toilet with a pump then this can be an issue. Also not all cities allow AAVs.

Do you have a picture of the congested stack with all the fittings to share?

No chance of tying into a pipe that is already teeing off that stack, in other words add a tee to an existing vent branch.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Here is a photo.

I suppose I could put another t-wye on the main line for the washing machine and vent from where the washing machine hooks in.???? Maybe hook the washing machine to the capped T wye to the left of where it is hooked in now.??? Not sure.

Attachments:

Here is a photo.

I suppose I could put another t-wye on the main line for the washing machine and vent from where the washing machine hooks in.???? Maybe hook the washing machine to the capped T wye to the left of where it is hooked in now.??? Not sure.

So just to confirm , you are going to be venting the toilet only or is it for venting all the washroom plumbing , I’ll show the picture to my friend here , and ask his opinion ,

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

venting the toilet only or is it for venting all the washroom plumbing

The whole bathroom. 3 fixtures. Shower, toilet, sink.

Like this…kinda, sort of…

The drains all go to the pump. The pump discharges to where I indicated on the previous photo. Then the vents from the pump/tank, sink and shower tie in together, which is what I am trying to figure out how to connect to the vent stack.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Here is a photo.

Jim, you have ABS piping.

I think this may be the part you will need. Charlotte makes both PVC and ABS fittings and you can look up their products from their website.

They make a WYE with a side inlet on either the left or right side, part number 625 or 626.

Your tie in has to be higher than the horizontal drain. There is a 45 degree elbow before it runs up the floor above. I bet you can cut out the 45 elbow and replace with a side outlet wye using no hub fittings to connect. The branch of the wye will connect up, the bottom of the wye will connect to the pipe coming up at an angle, the top of the wye facing the floor joist need to be plugged off. Your vent connects through the right side inlet.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

They make a WYE with a side inlet on either the left or right side

Pretty neat solution. I googled for a side connection 45 and no luck. With the millions of different connectors in plumbing, they forgot one…lol.

I never thought of a no hub connection. Very clever!

Thanks. I will look into this.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Replace the 45 with a wye and come into the bottom of the wye with your vent.

The wye would be upside down and they with a reducer you could come into the bottom of it. Much easier parts to find.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Replace the 45 with a wye and come into the bottom of the wye with your vent.

Hmmm. That’s another one I never thought of. I may even have a wye here. Thanks.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I am just wondering if they are available here in Canada. That would be great if they are.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.249 seconds