dcsimg

Things that is worth getting at The Harbor Freight

This topic contains 54 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  crotalusco 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

My neighbor bought one of their aluminum rolling floor jacks. It was a piece of junk he said.

Either I got lucky or your friend is unlucky. I have one of the aluminum floor jacks for 3 years and haven’t had a problem with it

There is a lawsuit by Snap On to Harbor Freight about their copying their floor jacks.

I also saw a poster “comparing” HF to Snap On LOL.

I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them…I don’t buy the whole “same thing with a different label” notion. There’s a price difference for a reason, and it’s not all just brand recognition.

Definitely. You get what you pay for. It’s not always immediately obvious, but they’re cuttin corners somewhere to offer similar items much cheaper at the prices places like HF and PA sell them for. To me, it’s always a question of ‘is it good enough for what I need it to do’ and whether ‘is it worth the aggravation if it doesn’t work out’.

But at least with Princess Auto, I know they have a good rep for returns where you are not satisfied with something, even up to a year later, they’ll take 8t hack with a smioe on their face. They’re right up there with places like Costco or LV in this regard. As asked before, is this the same practice with a great returns policy with HF also?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I pick up bungee cords there from time to time.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

My neighbor bought one of their aluminum rolling floor jacks. It was a piece of junk he said.

Either I got lucky or your friend is unlucky. I have one of the aluminum floor jacks for 3 years and haven’t had a problem with it

There is a lawsuit by Snap On to Harbor Freight about their copying their floor jacks.

I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them…I don’t buy the whole “same thing with a different label” notion. There’s a price difference for a reason, and it’s not all just brand recognition.

Definitely. You get what you pay for. It’s not always immediately obvious, but they’re cuttin corners somewhere to offer similar items much cheaper at the prices places like HF and PA sell them for. To me, it’s always a question of ‘is it good enough for what I need it to do’ and whether ‘is it worth the aggravation if it doesn’t work out’.

But at least with Princess Auto, I know they have a good rep for returns where you are not satisfied with something, even up to a year later, they’ll take 8t hack with a smioe on their face. They’re right up there with places like Costco or LV in this regard. As asked before, is this the same practice with a great returns policy with HF also?

With my local HF, you have to have the receipt to do a return or an exchange.

To me that’s NOT user friendly. If it’s an exclusive brand from HF and it’s “lifetime warranty” why would a receipt be necessary?

Doobie
    Pro

With my local HF, you have to have the receipt to do a return or an exchange.

To me that’s NOT user friendly. If it’s an exclusive brand from HF and it’s “lifetime warranty” why would a receipt be necessary?

They’re largely requiring that for theft/fraud prevention reasons. Not uncommon frankly, but you’ve helped answer part of my query of how well HF is insofar as returns and customer satisfaction policy and procedures versus our version of HF here in Canada called Princess Auto (PA).

While PA here in Canada recommends a receipt be presented, they can also pull up your account to verify that it was you who made the purchase. Every time you buy there they ask for your tel # at the cashier to pull up your account. I typically don’t like that kind of tracking for most retailers, but with this type of retailer, I truly prefer it for the returns reason obviously if you can’t find your receipt.

There’s few retailers that I would possibly be returning so much stuff to other than Costco. Costco kinda sucks in this regard that while they can in fact pull up exactly what you did pay for an item, which they never will if you don’t have the original receipt unless you are in some sort of argument about with what they will pay for a refund, if you don’t have the actual purchase receipt they will only give you back the lowest price at which they sold it for otherwise. In this regard, PA is far superior than Costco.

I’ve returned items at PA over a year from purchase on a couple of occasions – which were of course well past their stipulated returns window – and received exactly what I paid for them without a receipt by virtue of them just looking it up on my account without me having to make any kind of a stink to get them to do so. It just seems to be their practice at PA to do such. Keep the customer happy and coming back!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

To me I no longer deal with much paper receipts. Yes, HF do send me an electronic copy of my receipt by email.

At the big box stores like HD, all they need when returning is the credit card and from there they scan the return items. If found they refund that item to your CC if not they issue a gift card of that value to you.

My practice is I will do a return when my return box is full and when the return line is short. I probably shop there at least twice a day so when I do a return it is what I have left over during the past week or so which could span across dozens of receipts. No way paper receipt works in these scenerios. If you have a Pro account then all the receipts are up there with the job numbers assigned.

Doobie
    Pro

HF do send me an electronic copy of my receipt by email.

I kinda wished every place did that. Here, only HD does that that I’m setup for.

At the big box stores like HD, all they need when returning is the credit card and from there they scan the return items.

And that’s a big plus for me, especially a place like HD where you buy tons of stuff and have so many receipts from. I always use the same credit card when buying there for that reason. Makes returns so much easier.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My HD sends receipts in the E mail .

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My HD sends receipts in the E mail .

All HDs will if you specify when checking out. Makes it easy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

with the Pro Xtra account at THD you can attach a job number with each purchase and the receipts are automatically sorted by job number in your account. You can create multiple pro xtra accounts one for personal one for business, and associate different credit cards to it. Lowes doesn’t have anything like that, wish they did.

Doobie
    Pro

Lowes doesn’t have anything like that, wish they did.

You sure? I thought Lowes can do that, I just didn’t need it when I set up my LAR account with them a few years ago and just have everything on the one monthly statememt for both cards my wife and I have.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a little Lowes card that they can scan and keep track of anything I buy.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have a little Lowes card that they can scan and keep track of anything I buy.

That’s what I mean, you have to give them the Lowes card to make the association. With HD your credit card is linked to your pro account and phone number and it knows as soon as you stick your credit card into the card reader that it’s your pro account. You can give your card to a helper who runs to HD to buy materials with your credit card and when he pays with your CC your phone gets a text message and you OK it on your phone for that purchase. It’s more streamlined.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By the way while we are talking about the HD ProXtra program there is a bug you cannot add a new credit card to the account as of now. I tried to do that last week (since I changed my business credit card) and kept getting errors. Called the ProXtra support on Tuesday and they didn’t know after trying it they said it’s a system wide issue and they will work on it. So far still errors. So I am back to paper receipts until they fixed this bug.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Too bad Harbor Freight don’t make stackable modular toolboxes.

If they did I will buy. No one would steal my tools stored in HF boxes.

On the other hand, Mileaukee Packout and Bosch L-boxxes draw attention from the undesirables.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I have a good bit of hf stuff nothing I make a living with though.

Mechanics tools, yup have broken a few but have crapsman and strapon as well. Always exchanged no receipt. But I am not a mechanic.

Pipe wrenches for rare use at home
    Wheel chocks
    Daytona Jack and love it
    Moving blankets
    Magnetic parts trays free
    Furniture Dolly’s (have my lboxes on one)
    Tarps
    Wire brushes
    Pump pliers
    Hex wrenches, pick and hook set on gunsmithing bench

I am sure there is more I am forgetting about. Mostly things that are disposable or for light use or for abusing. Emergency tools in the cars, tractor, extras to the wife kids don’t disappear my good ones

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.423 seconds