dcsimg

The SECERT Discriminator!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Do you know what that is???? and has been for quite sometime?
    (AGE!)
    when I got above a certain age I notice that the number of people who had interest in me when I was younger and dropped off substantially when I got older, and this is a big problem in the U.S. And when someone told me this when I was young I didn’t believe it, till I had this happen to me!! Now that I am older and this was 20 yrs ago. what a shocker!!! so when someone wants to learn something new AGE shouldn’t be factor.

Attachments:
    woodman_412

I’ve found the opposite to be true for me at the other end of the scale. I’ve found that some people discriminate based on the fact that I’m younger. It’s certainly becoming less of an issue the older I get. Age isn’t always a good indicator of knowledge and experience so it’s not a fair way to judge someone. Anyone else come across this?

Dan

danpattison.com

it is true and is out there I have been turned down due to my age, like ya said your young and when ya get older u will see this or may know someone it has happen to, I am not judging no one! just saying that it is out there and people do turn away older folks when it comes right down to working, instead of giving the older person a chance at it, as u get older u will see it when u file for a job with a company or a corporate. It’s a real thing just ask around, it has nothing to do with me judging someone I just know what I have been thru and others also.

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

I agree with the statement by Dan ,” Age isn’t always a good indicator of knowledge and experience so it’s not a fair way to judge someone.”

When I stated out,I was Self-employed in the tile business at age 22
    Thing is, by then I already had 9 years real world experience. I started as a helper at 13. Was a card carrying journeyman at 17!
    ( You could do that in Chicago back then ) When I went to look at a new job, the homeowners – 35-40 years old – looked at me and without saying it, wondered if I knew enough about tile to give me a chance. Fast forward 20 years, Now I’m the 40 something. Homeowners are now younger than me and gladly looked at me to be the “professional.” Today, at age 55 , grey hair ( what’s left)
    I’m now “YODA” in the tile industry. I can still walk upright.
    Have confidence in yourself, learn all you can about your trade and do an excellent job- every time – and work will find you, no matter how many birthdays you’ve had!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

it depends on the situation.. homeowner to contractor factor they like hte older person as their more experienced, more responsible and what not

being older and looking for work is tough because the employer is worried you wont be able to do more physical tasks or you become set in your ways and its harder to teach and old dog new tricks

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

if in business for yourself it doesn’t matter, im talking about the companies that put a age limit and the larger business in the real world as we call corporate. everyone needs work not just the younger age and no one should be looked at because there older or they can’t do it, and shame on those who do it.

woodman_412

“Have confidence in yourself, learn all you can about your trade and do an excellent job- every time – and work will find you, no matter how many birthdays you’ve had!”

Well said Phil! That’s great advice for anyone in a trade, especially younger people. I was building custom furniture and cabinets for clients when I was 15. Sometimes people weren’t too sure about hiring me at first because of my age but once I had done work for someone they had no problem hiring me again for another project when they saw my work.

Dan

danpattison.com

i have never seen what rich says but i absolutely believe it is not uncommon in the corporate world. younger people/society-at-large these days have significantly less respect for older people than previous generations.

John S

Rich,

What I value with age is the experience that comes with it. The only problem I’ve had with older guys is that they show up and want WAY too much money than I can comfortably afford to pay them….

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Depends on what you bring to the table. Anybody that can make people money will be in demand regardless of age. Experience, you have to pay for it one way or the other. Yes you can hire younger less expensive workers but what about supervision, training, and mistakes, they all take away from the bottom line. Large scale employers are finding out the older workers bring more to the table than younger workers.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.433 seconds