dcsimg

The one that got away.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

How many of you have almost gotten the job that would have been fun, challenging, or in some other way rewarding?
    One I was recently passed on was from a great referral that seemed like a sure thing. I was completely in sync with the design, the material selection was spot on, and all seemed to be a go.
    But at the last moment they opted out because in the grand scheme of things (pool liner replacement and pump upgrade) it just wasn’t feasible for the time.
    The project consisted of decorative fence panels with two arched and radius panels at a focal point. Construction was to be 100% cedar.
    I only got as far as getting the material and labor estimate, and some design work.
    But dang, it would have been fun.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That sucks Adam! Your drawings look awesome. I really like the detail on the panels..so much so that if I ever build a fence for myself, I might model it after your drawing if that’s okay with you.

I recently had a couple of custom made pieces stall in the design process. I believe both were due to cost ultimately. I had a person I went to high school with approach me about building a farm style dinner table. And another wanting a headboard built. I thought I priced both lower than I should have but both talks stalled from that point.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Thanks for the compliment.
    You can most certainly use the design, as I would enjoy seeing it come to life.
    I did tell the folks that if they ever change their mind (as they seem prone to doing this from my experiences with them) I can do my best to honor the quote I gave them.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I’ve lost a few jobs that were a go last fall, scheduled for the spring.

The current excuses are the bad winter cause our plowing budget and heating budget to get wiped out. So we’re delaying the project.
    Damn mother natured is still messing with my schedule, and winter is OVER..

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Pretty sure I’m not getting this home build that I bid on. And I wanted it BAD. Would have been a gorgeous home. However maybe I’ll get the call? It’s been a few weeks so I doubt it.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I hope you charged for the design work!

It’s always a bummer to not get a project you were looking forward to but it’s also usually for the best.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

It happens to me too. I’m not saying I’m the best at what I do. But in my opinion I am better than most. And it seems like the ones that get away are the ones I try my hardest to land mainly to help them out and make sure they aren’t getting taken advantage of.

We all lose jobs we really wish we landed . Mostly I lose them cause of budgets that are unrealistic for the clients needs .

Pretty sure I’m not getting this home build that I bid on. And I wanted it BAD. Would have been a gorgeous home. However maybe I’ll get the call? It’s been a few weeks so I doubt it.

How big was the the home 4 bedroom .

Always willing to learn .

Sometimes I get down a bit when I lose a potential project that I wanted but I try to remember that one phone can change everything in this industry.

We lost a big home last year. I have been watching it’s progress and it is going very slow and site access is awful…not so up upset anymore.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

@EthanB
    Yes, I charged for the design and for the material estimate, plus an little for consultation up to that point.
    I actually had the go ahead on this one and let them know that after the initial acceptance of the rough sketch and ballpark estimate that the clock would start ticking.
    The curved panel design is incomplete because that’s when they called me to let me know that they had reconsidered…pencil dropped like a mic!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I just had that happen on a 50 K addition. Thyynsaid go then 3 or 4 days later they said no. It would have been a nice job, but we had plenty to do anyway.

I lost a nice new home a yeay or so ago, the buyer told several people we were building their house then in the end, they went with someone else. No reason just changed their mind.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I bid a big built in job last year that seemed like a sure thing. Spent a bunch of time designing and pricing, did a lot of back and forth with design with the client. Sent out a price and heard absolutely nothing, not even a d@mn thank you.

I wish I would have at least charged for the design, but I was too excited to get my foot in the door for a really high end project.

Oh well, live and learn.

The lady seems like a total nut case looking back on it though, so maybe it was for the best.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

In this business you have to get used to it. I never push anyone into something they are not sure they want. Sometimes people think all you have to do is quote jobs for free. They have no idea the time it takes to figure some jobs. Sometimes they also get sticker shock.
    Like I said you just have to roll with the punches some times.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I’ve lost a few jobs that were a go last fall, scheduled for the spring.

The current excuses are the bad winter cause our plowing budget and heating budget to get wiped out. So we’re delaying the project.
    Damn mother natured is still messing with my schedule, and winter is OVER..

I lost a few projects over the winter for the same reason. As soon as the really cold weather started I had 3 customers call – 2 cancelled their projects altogether and 1 postponed.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

We all lose jobs we really wish we landed . Mostly I lose them cause of budgets that are unrealistic for the clients needs .

How big was the the home 4 bedroom .

4 beds. Plus and open space on the second floor. Basically another living room. Down stairs was open concept kitchen living room dining ect. Full 2 car garage plus storage the size of the home under it. 2.5 baths. Walk up to the roof from inside to basically a 3rd story 700sqft rooftop deck with open bay views. House is 8′ off the ground to start which is how it has the garage under it. Makes thst rooftop deck like 4th story height.

Opportunity to take over 12 rentals that all needed major rehab. Would have been huge, esp right before the holidays. I actually walked away from that one.

Doobie

Even though I’m not a contractor, I’ve dealt with selling my services for fee for 25 years and I learned years ago that beyond the initial meet and greet and preliminary discussion, if you do work beyond that and don’t charge for it, people don’t put any value in what you do, don’t take your work as seriously as they should, and it makes it easier for them to walk away from the table.

While I was told that early on in my career by a mentor, I didn’t risk being that way with what I did for clients til some years later. Once I did, I discovered quickly the dynamics of relationships changed, I felt better than others in my field at what I did, I made more money, and I didn’t waste my time on things that didn’t pay off which makes you much less frustrated overall.

When people pay for something, they pay attention and they follow your advice/direction. When they get it for free, they more often than not treat it like a free sample they got in the mail.

The are not your friends or family, they are clients. Treat them like clients, and they will treat and respect you as a pro.

FWIW.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Long range projects where the customer requests a quote 6 months or more before start are 50-50 at best. Too much can happen between the time they decide to do it and the time they need to put down money.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jummul
    Pro

Even though I’m not a contractor, I’ve dealt with selling my services for fee for 25 years and I learned years ago that beyond the initial meet and greet and preliminary discussion, if you do work beyond that and don’t charge for it, people don’t put any value in what you do, don’t take your work as seriously as they should, and it makes it easier for them to walk away from the table.

While I was told that early on in my career by a mentor, I didn’t risk being that way with what I did for clients til some years later. Once I did, I discovered quickly the dynamics of relationships changed, I felt better than others in my field at what I did, I made more money, and I didn’t waste my time on things that didn’t pay off which makes you much less frustrated overall.

When people pay for something, they pay attention and they follow your advice/direction. When they get it for free, they more often than not treat it like a free sample they got in the mail.

The are not your friends or family, they are clients. Treat them like clients, and they will treat and respect you as a pro.

FWIW.

This is so true. I always charge for everything each step of the way, besides the quote. People are more likely to hire you “because they already invested in you”

redwood
    Pro

I’ve lost a lot of desirable projects over the years, but got a few, as well. The biggest reason of course is money. From the very challenging projects I took on in my early years, I learned what it took to do those later on. Well, there is always someone out there that hasn’t learned those lessons yet and will try to do it cheaper. Will they make money, probably not, but it looks good in the portfolio.

In the latter stages of my career, I started charging for designs. I wish I had done that earlier, as it was accepted way better then I thought it would.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.477 seconds